New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by kjek1 »

I don't understand why so many people have to pick sides. I really don't. Truth is they were never better than when they all worked together.

Naturally people will dissect Waters solo stuff citing it's lack of musical excellence, whilst people will jump into post Waters stuff to have a go at the lyrics, with lyrical content being the huge thing missing after Waters' exit.

But going on the way that 'review' is written, it's just a jilted Waters' fanatic who went to listen to it desperate to hate it anyway.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

kjek1 wrote:I don't understand why so many people have to pick sides. I really don't. Truth is they were never better than when they all worked together.

Naturally people will dissect Waters solo stuff citing it's lack of musical excellence, whilst people will jump into post Waters stuff to have a go at the lyrics, with lyrical content being the huge thing missing after Waters' exit.

But going on the way that 'review' is written, it's just a jilted Waters' fanatic who went to listen to it desperate to hate it anyway.
Agreed. Floyd united the way they did for Live 8 was magical. That's what WE ALL wish would have happened. I remember being filled with such hope after that show that they may just bury that hatchet and take the world by storm and sell out stadiums around the world. You know they would have too. :cry: Alas it was not to be. Much to all of our dismay. That being said, this guy's "review" is just pure shit. A review cannot be reasonably done until after the entire album is released. Not a true objective one anyway. A biased one, most certainly. So he doesn't like the song. Boofrickety hoo! The fact that the dude takes a condescending sarcastic tone and tries to tell all Floyd fans that they are basically retarded if they like the new album is frankly insulting. The fact that he says that Floyd hasn't done anything worthwhile since DSOTM is evidence enough of this dudes true narrative and it's disgusting.
Last edited by hypermikem on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

the condescending tone is the worst bit of it. But some people are like that, the guy obviously thinks he knows it all, yet he's not exactly taking the music industry by storm is he.

I felt the same in 2005, and you've got people having the brass neck to say Gilmour's just in it for many when he could have taken Floyd on the road or even done a solo tour that would have sold out easy and made him a bucket load of cash.
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Any reviews are all contrived anyway; I decided long ago to like what appeals to me, nobody else's opinion is going to sway me. That said, this one was pretty funny:
http://www.avclub.com/article/pink-floy ... -af-210333
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

hypermikem wrote:Yeah I'm liking blasting the song on my Kicker system. Can't wait to hear the rest. Too bad for those who's boat it doesn't float. Sucks to be you. The rest of us will enjoy it regardless. <ii>
I like the cut of your jib :-)
seriously though, thats the best attitude to have.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

kjek1 wrote:the condescending tone is the worst bit of it. But some people are like that, the guy obviously thinks he knows it all, yet he's not exactly taking the music industry by storm is he.

I felt the same in 2005, and you've got people having the brass neck to say Gilmour's just in it for many when he could have taken Floyd on the road or even done a solo tour that would have sold out easy and made him a bucket load of cash.
Oh you mean the way Waters did? :lol: Yeah I saw the DSOTM Waters tour. 4 times! Loved it. Saw the Wall once, IMO it sucked. At least 80% of it did. Not a fan of that political Rock opera stuff, but I digress, Waters toured with Floyd stuff recently and made a shitload of money. Gilmour could have easily done that with Mason and Wright AS PINK FLOYD! He didn't. I guess some of us "know the industry" well enough so as to come to the conclusion that Gilmour did this for the money. :roll:
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

thefinalcut wrote:
hypermikem wrote:You know, after hearing the various interviews, I think the lyrics have to be taken in context. Sure they are not going to be as Floydian as a Waters written song lyrically. Few are. He is a masterful lyricist when he leaves politics out of it. Gilmour freely admits that neither he nor Mason are as adept at expressing themselves lyrically. I have absolutely no issue with him and Mason relating to Polly what they wanted to say and having her convey them as the accomplished writer/novelist she is. They are obviously the ideas and feelings of Gilmour and Mason, penned by Samson. Why some people utterly hate this woman is beyond me. She co-wrote much of TDB for Pete's sake. The music is most certainly "Floyd". That doesn't sound like anyone else IMO.

I am upset with the fact that RW is not involved with the Floyds final proyect and thats disrespectful to the fans and the bands legacy itself.
Not even Roger thinks that. Disrespectful to the fans? as roger said, he left Floyd 29 years ago, get a grip. It's ok if you don't like David's version of floyd, but there's nothing disrespectful about it.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

hypermikem wrote:
kjek1 wrote:the condescending tone is the worst bit of it. But some people are like that, the guy obviously thinks he knows it all, yet he's not exactly taking the music industry by storm is he.

Oh you mean the way Waters did? :lol: Yeah I saw the DSOTM Waters tour. 4 times! Loved it. Saw the Wall once, IMO it sucked. At least 80% of it did. Not a fan of that political Rock opera stuff, but I digress, Waters toured with Floyd stuff recently and made a shitload of money. Gilmour could have easily done that with Mason and Wright AS PINK FLOYD! He didn't. I guess some of us "know the industry" well enough so as to come to the conclusion that Gilmour did this for the money. :roll:
The Dark Side show was BORING (the PULSE album and concert film is EPIC and I saw The Division Bell Tour in 1994 and was kick ass)! I walked out mid-way through Any Colour You Like (I also had to work the next morning anyways). The Wall was excellent but still hold In the Flesh Live in Providence 2000 the best Roger show I attended as he did both Floyd work and solo work (played better than in 1999).
David rejected millions to reunite Pink Floyd like Robert Plant also rejected millions to reunite Zeppelin.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

FransT wrote:http://www.glidemagazine.com/125225/pin ... ng-review/

Great review, he's damn right!
Fuck that scumbag! Roger hasn't done a decent song since "Each Small Candle".

"Flickering Flame" (BO-RING)
"To Kill a Child" (BO-RING)
"Leaving Beirut" (BO-RING)
"Hello I Love You" BO-RING

Even the cover of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" SUCKED as did the cover of "We Shall Overcome" and the demo version of "Lost Boys Calling" was brutal (glad he re-recorded it singing in a low octave with Eddie Van Halen's stellar guitar solo). Basically Roger has done an album's worth of non-album tracks that SUCKED! I even hated the collaboration he did with Shakira and so forth HORRIBLE!
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Here is another link to "Louder Than Words". Somehow, Paul Loasby hasn't gone on Vimeo yet.

http://vimeo.com/108482595
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

never mind i was drunk
Last edited by azza200 on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

azza200 wrote: he's not a true pink floyd fan
There's one in the spotlight he don't look right to me...

Hypermilken, explain to me why the songs are pulled down from Soundcloud etc...I know it's not about money but what is it about? Is Gilmour beholden to the record co for life? Can't he release something independently? Waters, too. Can't they do like Mick Jones has done, for example....
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I highly doubt if David Gilmour or anyone else associated with Pink Floyd's management would give a shit about what some fans online think. Certainly the notion that saying something negative about Polly would "hurt Gilmour's feelings" is a joke. That is the price of fame. People will talk.

If I was in David's position, reading these posts, I'd be laughing my ass off. If he has any integrity left as a musician at all he put this album together for the sake of music and for his own musical reward. Whether or not anyone else appreciates or understands his intentions shouldn't matter to him. He can't be that insecure.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

Well to hear the interviews and to be ones own judges to the sincerity of Gilmour and mason and to read them, it's not hard to judge their true intentions. Why all the conspiracy theories about ulterior motives for releasing the album? Where is the proof supporting those assertions? What you do have straight from the horse's mouth is a pretty compelling reason to release this material now. It's pretty noble and admirable and I consider it a gift. They didn't have to do it. They certainly aren't hurting for money.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

lurkingfear wrote:[This review] was pretty funny:
http://www.avclub.com/article/pink-floy ... -af-210333
I like the pun comments. For example:
- "You guys and your punny threads. One of these days..."
- "Wot’s… Uh The Deal with this pun thread? It Would Be So Nice If everyone could just Stop."
- "Careful with that joke, Eugene."
- "*sets controls to the heart of the pun*" :lol:

And now, in general...
"douche"... "scumbag"... :shock:
Is it really necessary to attack people for being critical about the news about 'The Endless River'? [-X
Seems to me that some people desperately need a very boring album, just to get a bit relaxed. :P

Oh, just the thought that Gilmour is releasing this album to make money.
Oh, just the thought that Gilmour doesn't make music as just a hobby.

And does letting your wife contribute to your work mean that people can't be critical?
John Lennon and Yoko Ono would have loved such an audience. :lol:

About Waters...
I think it would be very funny if someone made a parody on 'Louder Than Words',
writing parody lyrics that look as if they could have been created by Waters:

"We splish and we splash..." :lol:

Maybe lyrics that rant on and on about politics,
making the 6:40 minutes almost too short to cramp them all in.
Accompanied by lots of manic laughter, and the sound of a television.
And, of course, lots of explosions to keep the listener awake. :P