New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by bboynexus »

Wolfpack wrote:Seems to me that some people desperately need a very boring album, just to get a bit relaxed. :P
Comments like this are part of the problem. It's arrogant. You're equating in an absolutist way 'easy listening' or 'new age' or whatever you want to call it with 'boring' and imposing that viewpoint on how others perceive or respond to the music. Would it surprise you to know that 'Louder than Words' actually *excites* me and gets my blood pumping? This is all inherently subjective. Your inability to make that concession and accept that others might find great enjoyment and satisfaction out of the music is what makes some of your comments nigh insufferable.

Alas...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Wolfpack wrote:I think it would be very funny if someone made a parody on 'Louder Than Words',
writing parody lyrics that look as if they could have been created by Waters
It would have been a song about airplanes, tanks and barb wires, most probably with a conclusion that bombs are louder than words. The older I get the less I give a damn about political rants, so no thanks.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

bboynexus wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Seems to me that some people desperately need a very boring album, just to get a bit relaxed. :P
Comments like this are part of the problem. It's arrogant.
There's just no reason to use words like "douche" and "scumbag" to describe critical people.

I think 'Louder Than Words' sounds better than I expected. It has catchy moments.
But it's the only real song on the album.
Hudini wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:I think it would be very funny if someone made a parody on 'Louder Than Words',
writing parody lyrics that look as if they could have been created by Waters
It would have been a song about airplanes, tanks and barb wires, most probably with a conclusion that bombs are louder than words. The older I get the less I give a damn about political rants, so no thanks.
:lol:
You actually make me more curious for a parody of how 'Louder Than Words' would sound with Waters. \:D/
'Louder Than Bombs', would that haven been the title? :P

Maybe the heavy emphasis on political lyrics would sound a bit like this:

John Lennon - News of the Day (Parody of Bob Dylan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDtHlD4KP8
1970s.

He just seems to be reading the newspaper while playing guitar. :lol:
Now just overdub some explosions and television sounds, and it sounds much like a Waters parody. :P
Morty
Axe
Axe

Post by Morty »

After several spins of Louder Than Words, over some days now, I am not sure. It is not a great track, and it is not a bad track. It is so and so. My main problem is Polly Samsons lyrics, they are cliche. We bitch and we fight / Diss each other on sight / But this thing we do. To me that seems a bit to easy, to on the nose. But as a song, it do sound Floydian. It has a nice softer touch like D.Bell or Gilmours On an Island. To me On an Island should have been a Floyd-album, but....

Anyway, I am looking forward to the new album. I am not expecting greatness, but a nice laid back ambient experience. Something for cold winter nights, sipping tea and eating biscuits.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I think the problem with these lyrics is that they seem to be written without regard to how they'll fit into the meter of the song. When Gilmour sings the words, they don't flow. It feels like he's rushing to get all the words within the proper amount of beats. Never mind that the actual content of the lyrics is banal. That is something Pink Floyd fans have adjusted to over the past 25 years.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:When Gilmour sings the words, they don't flow. It feels like he's rushing to get all the words within the proper amount of beats.
I don't get this impression at all.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

You can get whatever impression you want. I'm just telling you what I'm hearing.

\:D/
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

In regards to that critical article written by that douche. I stand by it. I disagree that there is no reason to describe him as such. What a piece of literary trash that review was. That went far beyond being critical of a piece of music. That was a condescending, arrogant, pontificating pile of steaming crap. How dare that dude basically call out any Floyd fan that does not think this album is shit, and that pink Floyd has not made anything worthwhile since DSOTM. That sir, or madam IMO is a douche. Being critical is one thing. Piling an entire fan base who does not agree with you in to a big retard pile is a douche move. Sort of like people who disagree for the sake of disagreement and to go against the grain to gain reactions.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:I think the problem with these lyrics is that they seem to be written without regard to how they'll fit into the meter of the song. When Gilmour sings the words, they don't flow. It feels like he's rushing to get all the words within the proper amount of beats. Never mind that the actual content of the lyrics is banal. That is something Pink Floyd fans have adjusted to over the past 25 years.
I totally agree. In fact, I think they get used to this Pink Floyd version after the lobotomy in 1985.
OBYKA
Axe
Axe

Post by OBYKA »

thefinalcut wrote:
The Gunner's Dream wrote:I think the problem with these lyrics is that they seem to be written without regard to how they'll fit into the meter of the song. When Gilmour sings the words, they don't flow. It feels like he's rushing to get all the words within the proper amount of beats. Never mind that the actual content of the lyrics is banal. That is something Pink Floyd fans have adjusted to over the past 25 years.
I totally agree. In fact, I think they get used to this Pink Floyd version after the lobotomy in 1985.
Its just another version of Pink Floyd. Just like Rogers and Syds. Its a little different. I like AMLOR and TBD myself alot. It was probably best that Roger left. Yes Rog, we know your dad died in the war and politicians and war are bad. Get over it.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

thefinalcut wrote:
Funny, I always viewed that "lobotomy" as a tumor removal. He left of his own accord. He had said so many times. Some people still fail to recognize this and hate on the remaining members of PF as if it was their fault. In the words of Roger Waters........"Get a grip".
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

hypermikem wrote: Funny, I always viewed that "lobotomy" as a tumor removal
You can view a lobotomy as a tumor removal but that isn't what it is at all. It is the severing of nerve fibers in the frontal lobe of the brain. The frontal and prefrontal lobes are both effected...the 2 areas of the brain dealing with emotion. I think a "lobotomy" is actually a pretty good analogy for what happened when Waters left. I don't get the intensity or emotional heights out of the Floyd's music after he left. "High Hopes" was a stroke of brilliance but the only piece from that area that really holds up to Pink Floyd's music when they were at their best.

I'm not passionately against Gilmour or his era of Floyd's music. The only piece I really hate is "A New Machine". I'm pretty apathetic about the rest. So for me it isn't a debate of "Waters is great and Gilmour sucks". As I've said before they've both produced brilliance as well as trash, and the quality of music suffered when they didn't work together and when they worked separately.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Morty wrote:My main problem is Polly Samsons lyrics, they are cliche. We bitch and we fight / Diss each other on sight / But this thing we do.
I really have a problem with those lyrics you posted.

I mean, they were away for 20 years and the first thing we hear them say on the new album is... "we bitch and we fight"? Come on! A kid could do better than that.

Also, "But this thing we do", full stop. "But this thing we do", what? You can't fucking end a sentence with "but this thing we do".

I have nothing against Polly Samson's lyrics, but these are really not good at all. They hurt the song in so many ways.
hypermikem
Axe
Axe

Post by hypermikem »

My point being that Waters left of his own accord. He was not fired. Many waters disciples act as if he was though and still take it to heart. The part about post waters music not doing it for you. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. One can argue that Gilmour does not even need lyrics to make a beautiful song. Whereas Waters lyrics are merely prose that unless set to the right music, are merely words. I agree that when both of them applied themselves to music, Waters with his lyrics and Gilmour with his musical phrasing and Wright, with his chord progressions was indeed often magical. I guess my point is I would much rather have good music without words than good words without music. I suspect this album will feature more of the former.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I've been thinking about those TER interviews with David and Nick, why is David so adamant to call it quits now because Rick is gone (and Rick's stash of unused stuff is now effectively gone as well).

First of all I don't think it is the age thing. David (68) and Nick (70) are indeed getting older, but they are not too old for another album after this. In fact David already announced his next solo album, and he will tour it as well. Pink Floyd tours are much larger affairs, however they could simply release an album without touring it at all (just like now, or like The Final Cut).

I don't think it is the fact that there are two members left per se either. It is not unusual for bands to end up reduced to a duo after 30 years and beyond (Genesis comes to mind here: founding members Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford continued on as a two men band after Collins left, for example). After all, we've been here before, Pink Floyd was reduced to a duo (Gilmour/Mason) once already, at Roger's point of departure and up to Rick's re-joining.

What it really boils down to, imo, is the fact that Nick is not a composer and/or a songwriter (Rick was). Because of this, doing another Pink Floyd album would end up as David composing the whole thing on his own (...with some outside help...); Mason's studio participation would be the only thing making it a band album instead of a solo album (the production itself would be different, of course). I don't think this is something that David really wants to do. If David and Nick could genuinely write something together, on the other hand, that would be a different story (but Nick had no author's credit on a Pink Floyd record since 1973).