The truth about Rick Wright's contribution on The Wall

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Re: The truth about Rick Wright's contribution on The Wall

Post by Follix » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:57 am

Does it really matters tho?

I mean The Wall is not known for amazing piano/keyboard work compared to the 3 albums before.

DarkSideFreak
Axe
Axe

Post by DarkSideFreak » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:40 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
And I think Gilmour should be able to hear from the final mix, how much Wright is in there.
And maybe not only Gilmour, but also some fans.

What contributions did Wright do for 'The Wall',
that are obviously an addition and obviously his style?
To me, the only part that sounds like Wright doing 'his' thing is the solo in Run Like Hell. Everything else is pretty anonymous. Listen to the keyboards on David's first solo album - David could easily replicate Rick's background parts. I don't doubt that Rick played on most The Wall songs, but he did so in the manner of a studio musician, much like Andy Bown played the organ on TFC. Live it was a completely different thing and Rick put his stamp on songs like ABITW 1 or Goodbye Blue Sky.

DarkSideFreak
Axe
Axe

Post by DarkSideFreak » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 pm

mastaflatch wrote:I don't think that Clare Torry should have been credited for GGITS although she should have been given a fair amount of money for her performance. it's a performance for the ages, it's a classic but she didn't alter the original composition, she sang a vocal solo on it.
But her solo was more or less intact any time the band played the song live - all the singers who did the song listened to the original version first so the solo did become a part of the song eventually. And the exact same thing goes for "Money" and "Another Brick II", both songs have a solo that's like a composition itself, very well-built and in many ways, iconic. Had they released Roger's demo version of "Money" or "Another Brick" without the guitar solo, they would not have been hits.

mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:53 pm

DarkSideFreak wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:I don't think that Clare Torry should have been credited for GGITS although she should have been given a fair amount of money for her performance. it's a performance for the ages, it's a classic but she didn't alter the original composition, she sang a vocal solo on it.
But her solo was more or less intact any time the band played the song live - all the singers who did the song listened to the original version first so the solo did become a part of the song eventually. And the exact same thing goes for "Money" and "Another Brick II", both songs have a solo that's like a composition itself, very well-built and in many ways, iconic. Had they released Roger's demo version of "Money" or "Another Brick" without the guitar solo, they would not have been hits.
I agree with you, those solos "made" those songs but it's just not how songwriting works in rock'n'roll. I mean, the importance of the solos is tremendous for many of us but it's still subjective. Had the solos been uninspired and full of errors, would they have been worth a credit too? And how about the keyboard arrangements? The memorable drum patterns? They are arrangements. Had Gilmour came up with the descending bass riff in the middle of Money, he would have deserved a credit for it but soloing on top of a riff is not considered more than an arrangement.

Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:01 pm

mastaflatch wrote:Had Gilmour came up with the descending bass riff in the middle of Money, he would have deserved a credit for it
Hadn't Gilmour come up with the time signature change in the middle of Money?

jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:30 pm

I remember, I think it was on the "Making of Dark Side Of The Moon" DVD, Gilmour said it was someone other in the band(Roger, Rick or Nick?) who suggested time signature change in the middle of Money. He said something like "they suggested it probably to do my job easier for me".

manonthemoog
Embryo
Embryo

Post by manonthemoog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 am

I always thought that Nobody Home sounds a lot like Rick's playing although some of the licks are a bit faster than he usually plays

snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:50 pm

As far as I know, Bob Ezrin played piano on Nobody Home.