Roger Re records Dark Side

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by flashback »

You'll need to let go of this ( which 1s pink) stuff. They're all pink, no 1 is pink. Pink is a group of people. Pink is greater than the sum of Pink's parts. They all brought something to make Pink. Yes, Roger left but the other 3 were still Pink but to a slightly lesser Pink. You don't have to like it but it still is that way.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Exactly Pink Floyd is a band not one person they all made Pink Floyd what it is with each of their own contributions on each of the albums during their peak in the 70's. The experimental pre-Darkside era is good. So is post-Post-Waters Floyd It's different but it is still Pink Floyd whether you like it or not.

Plus the 87-94 era continues to bring in new fans and those new fans going on a journey thru the bands back catalogue. New fans may know of the Syd legacy myth and get into Pink Floyd that way. Others may hear one of the many hit singles Money, Brick P2, Learning To Fly,High Hopes on the radio and decide to delve deeper into Pink Floyd out of curiosity. Others may flick thru the tv one night and catch Pulse or DSOT and like the music & the light show and go from there.
Last edited by azza200 on Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

azza200 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:50 pm Exactly Pink Floyd is a band not one person they all made Pink Floyd what it is with each of their own contributions on each of the albums during their peak in the 70's. The experimental pre-Darkside era is good so is post-Post-Waters Floyd It's different but it is still Pink Floyd whether you like it or not.

Plus the 87-94 era continues to bring in new fans and those new fans going on a journey thru the bands back catalogue. New fans may know of the Syd legacy myth and get into Pink Floyd that way. Others may hear one of the many hit singles Money, Brick P2, Learning To Fly,High Hopes on the radio and decide to delve deeper into Pink Floyd out of curiosity. Others may flick thru the tv one night and catch Pulse or DSOT and like the music & the light show and go from there.
Well said, azza 200. I agree with you.
The all incarnations of Pink Floyd are the Pink Floyd Sure, the only member of the band to have been a part in all incarnations and line- ups of the band is Nick Mason.
Which leads me to the question, once again:

Which one's Pink?
Nick Mason!

I'm kidding. :)
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Is it know to be expected that the Gilmour/Floyd camp will release Wish You Were Here album with spoken words and a recitals?

Wish You Were Here REDUX

1. Shine On Your Crazy Diamond
2. A theatre of dreams - spoken words by Polly Samson
3. Welcome To The Machine
4. Have A Recitals
5. A Theatre Of Dreams - spoken words by Polly Samson (Part 2)
6. Wish You Were Writer
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I've listened to it all on YouTube (and thanked God for the commercials in between each track.)

I'll give it the same review that I gave The Endless Drivel: I'll never not need new music for washing dishes to. *shrug*
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

It would have been better if Rog named this album The Endless Drivel.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

mosespa wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:46 pm I've listened to it all on YouTube (and thanked God for the commercials in between each track.)

I'll give it the same review that I gave The Endless Drivel: I'll never not need new music for washing dishes to. *shrug*
The Endless River goes places. It has softer and harder music. Faster and slower pieces. They might not always land. But I'd take the life in it's murky pond over whatevers floating in the puddle in Roger's paving stone.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The Endless Rivet Is at least tolerable. The REDUX is a tragic self-parody.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

azza200 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:31 pm
DaveSamsonBell wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:22 pm No matter. The fascination with Syd Barrett is odd. Few Floyd fans listen to his music. I just don't see what his relevance is.

More people respect David Gilmour than Roger Waters. It doesn't mean anything.
well the real Pink Floyd fans who go and see Nick and his band play that era songs and enjoys those shows says otherwise
Nick plays 5,000 seat theaters.

Roger plays 20,000 seat arenas.

Seems like...the more fans is with Roger?

Granted, I am bad at math.
AthousandMilesOfMoonlight
Blade
Blade

Post by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight »

“Nick plays 5,000 seat theaters.

Granted, I am bad at math.”

So, bigger is always better? Nick is not out there flogging the big hits to death or as obsessed with feeding his ego as Roger is. Of course he won’t attract as many fans as Roger’s grandiose shows.

Hitler played big arenas, too…
Last edited by AthousandMilesOfMoonlight on Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

AthousandMilesOfMoonlight wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:59 am Of course, he won’t attract as many fans as Roger’s grandiose shows.
A bit weird for a man who erected a huge wall between himself and the audience during the Wall shows in the 80s.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

battra wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:01 pm
azza200 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:31 pm

well the real Pink Floyd fans who go and see Nick and his band play that era songs and enjoys those shows says otherwise
Nick plays 5,000 seat theaters.

Granted, I am bad at math.
Different types of shows Nick's band plays deep cuts from the early era of the band which David & Roger ignore and they both play songs we have heard a billon types over the decades. Nicks shows are a more fun experience as they bring new life into the songs and hearing Floyd songs we never thought we would hear live by a member of the band. Nick's drumming is top notch and a joy too watch especially on Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun .
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Also Roger has made quite a reputation for spectacular live shows that shouldn´t be missed. And he always was one of the two "prominent" members of Pink Floyd while Wright and Mason were always more quiet. I believe more random people on the street would associate Pink Floyd (and this is the name that sells the tickets) with Roger Waters than with Nick Mason. And this is rather sad since the Nicks show are so much fun and should be seen by more people.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've been out of many loops over the past couple of months and missed the release. I've now listened to the whole album on Spotify.

One or two tracks may work as a novelty, but as whole the album is rather disappointing. And, is much, much, worse than the original album. I do think that covers of songs and albums can be interesting when they are not better than the original but refreshingly different. An interesting take on the original song or album. However, I don't think this album reaches that.

Unlike others, I don't like the 'theremin' style sounds instead of guitar solos. Roger being gruff and speaking over everything gets old quite quickly. There are interesting things such as the insertion of the lyrics of 'Free Four', but not enough of these.

I can't hear anything here that I think is as good as the cover of 'Comfortably Numb'.

Colour me disappointed.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

So, how many of you are still listening to this in 2024?