Roger Re records Dark Side

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Roger Re records Dark Side

Post by Yucateco »

From the twitter:

@adamcooperf1
Fascinating chat with @nickmasondrums about the new solo 50th anniversary reworking by @rogerwaters of @pinkfloyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Nick says it's brilliant, it's more akin to poetry than songs, and doesn't harm the original in any way. Looking forward to hearing it...

Oh no, Nick Mason says it’s brilliant, what shall we do with all our hate for the new version now? <ii> <ii>
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I don't think that @azza200 is suggesting that people will boo and walk out just because the version of the song (and maybe the whole album) is different. The problem is that, based on 'Us and Them', that the new version is terrible.

Personally I think RW's new version of CN is interesting and different. But, the new version of U&T, is different and ... not good.

Oh, and for Yucateco, we're still free to not like RW's new version even if Nick likes it.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Yucateco wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:54 pm Oh no, Nick Mason says it’s brilliant, what shall we do with all our hate for the new version now? <ii> <ii>
Point numero uno: just because Nick says it's good doesn't necessarily mean the rest of us will be keen on it.
Point numero dos: Nick's always been the way more diplomatic of the group. I've not once heard him refer to a bandmate's work as total shit.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

The interesting part here is that Nick got a copy from Roger, since we are at least two months from the official release.

Also, the fact that Nick decided to make a public comment of this sort - he is not exactly in sync with what Dave has been saying these days. Very interesting indeed, Dave and Nick recorded as Pink Floyd just a year ago.
scmods
Axe
Axe

Post by scmods »

Yucateco wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:48 pm people like me actually go to concerts to hear reworked versions that are different from the album version. Is there anything more boring to hear the another faithful rendition of Dark Side tracks like in 73, 74, 75, 77, 87-89, 94, 99, 00, 02, 06, 06-08, 15-18…. ? (Wow as much as I like the album tracks like Money, Us and them or Time have been performed to death). I heard those songs more than enough live.
Imagine the crowd would start to boo or walk out every time a band would do a medley of old songs or a short acoustic sets…. Never happens and won’t happen now.
I don't know if people will walk out, but there will certainly be people who don't want to hear new versions. Especially if he continues to promote himself as "the only person with any talent in Pink Floyd, the genius who did it all" - that sort of marketing is specifically designed to attract an audience who want to hear those songs exactly as they were.

When Roger did his Pros and Cons tour, playing outside of Pink Floyd for the first time, I liked that he came up with new arrangements of the old songs even though for the most part I didn't much like the arrangements themselves.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

scmods wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:42 am I don't know if people will walk out, but there will certainly be people who don't want to hear new versions. Especially if he continues to promote himself as "the only person with any talent in Pink Floyd, the genius who did it all" - that sort of marketing is specifically designed to attract an audience who want to hear those songs exactly as they were.

When Roger did his Pros and Cons tour, playing outside of Pink Floyd for the first time, I liked that he came up with new arrangements of the old songs even though for the most part I didn't much like the arrangements themselves.
(my emphasis)

Just wanting to be clear. I think there are plenty of people interested and even enthusiastic to hear new versions of the songs. But, not new versions like what we've heard of 'Us and Them', i.e. new versions that aren't very good. I'm still hopeful that the album as a whole will be better, as I personally think the new version of 'Comfortably Numb' is good. But, there seems to be an implicit theme in this thread at the moment that 'don't like the version of 'Us and Them'' = 'don't like new versions of songs'. It's certainly not true of me, and from my reading, it's not true of others too.
scmods
Axe
Axe

Post by scmods »

And just to be clear myself, the people who don't want to hear new versions that I'm talking about are almost certainly not members of this site!
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

scmods wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:42 pm And just to be clear myself, the people who don't want to hear new versions that I'm talking about are almost certainly not members of this site!
Yeah the casual floyd fans who will be in attendance who only want too hear Brick P2, Money, Wish they will be ones who either have no idea Roger has re-recorded DSOTM and will go in expecting to hear the versions of those songs he has done on all his current tours since 99 and will most likely will be ones walking out or booing they are the ones i am referring too
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

azza200 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:13 pm Yeah the casual floyd fans who will be in attendance who only want too hear Brick P2, Money, Wish they will be ones who either have no idea Roger has re-recorded DSOTM and will go in expecting to hear the versions of those songs he has done on all his current tours since 99 and will most likely will be ones walking out or booing they are the ones i am referring too
The live versions of Us & Them played by Rog's band have been excellent, if a bit close to the original. But, the small differences provide interest. The accompanying visuals are also excellent.

The remake of Comfortably Numb took the track into a very different style, but still it's a very good cover and a worthy addition to the original.

So, I'm not sure where the 'remake' of U&T ... came from.

I predict that in live shows Rog's band will perform the song as they have been, and not switch to the new version. Of course, I can be proved wrong.
elumen
Embryo
Embryo

Post by elumen »

I always thought people who reinterpreted works of art were courageous.
DSOTM has been reinterpreted so many times that what Roger is doing shouldn't be new.
Dream Theater, Poor Man's Whiskey, Flaming Lips, Canadian Brad Smith and his “Moon8” project, Easy Star All-Star, and many other versions of DSOTM such as jazz, bluegrass, orchestral, metal, symphonic...
Floyd himself has reinterpreted DSOTM in several shows, including a jazz solo in Money (look for live shows in torrents).
I don't know if what Roger is doing is right or wrong - and I don't think it's up to us to say anything about it - but in any case, I understand that it will be another addition to my Floyd collection.
Hugs and don't be so hard on Roger.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Annoying Twit wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:27 pm
azza200 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:13 pm Yeah the casual floyd fans who will be in attendance who only want too hear Brick P2, Money, Wish they will be ones who either have no idea Roger has re-recorded DSOTM and will go in expecting to hear the versions of those songs he has done on all his current tours since 99 and will most likely will be ones walking out or booing they are the ones i am referring too
The live versions of Us & Them played by Rog's band have been excellent, if a bit close to the original. But, the small differences provide interest. The accompanying visuals are also excellent.

The remake of Comfortably Numb took the track into a very different style, but still it's a very good cover and a worthy addition to the original.

So, I'm not sure where the 'remake' of U&T ... came from.

I predict that in live shows Rog's band will perform the song as they have been, and not switch to the new version. Of course, I can be proved wrong.
All of Rogers songs when played live have always stayed true too the original album versions except CN for this tour and his P&C tour. I'm not sure if it was Roger or Jon Carin who recently said they have been making changes for the next leg of the tour song arrangements. But will that include the new reworkings of the DSOTM recordings is anyone's guess.

Davids reworking of Shine on his 2006 tour was a brilliant change as he made the song very haunting at how stripped back it was until the drums and rest of the band kicked in.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

azza200 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:51 pm Davids reworking of Shine on his 2006 tour was a brilliant change as he made the song very haunting at how stripped back it was until the drums and rest of the band kicked in.
Amen to that. I remember when I watched the Remember That Night DVD for the first time being blown away by that recording of it.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:52 am Amen to that. I remember when I watched the Remember That Night DVD for the first time being blown away by that recording of it.
I agree too. I just revised this here:

https://youtu.be/5uiVpxDuAhc

as my copy of RtN is ... somewhere. It's nice to see Rick there, and David Crosby too. Both sad losses (DC had hit a strong run in his solo career before he died).

The RtN version of Shine On, in my opinion, provides both a healthy helping of the song as on the original album, plus the variations. I can't imagine people being unhappy with that IMHO very nicely balanced combination of the old and the new. Even the fans looking for nostalgia.

The new version of U&T certainly disappoints me, and others here at least. And, as pointed out, there are legions of fans out there looking for nostalgia, not for something new. And, they pay for tickets.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

For me at least my PF listening was always more about the music than the words. Yes the words were good but the music was great and like no other I had ever heard. The music that no other band has been able to really copy though many have tried. I've always said I could listen to great music with bad words but not bad music with good words. PF was always greater than the sum of it's parts. If not true Roger would have rose above what PF was, alas he never did. Neither did Dave or any of the rest in their solo stuff.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Funny thing is though you can be a die hard Roger fan and you don't have to like everything he does you are allowed to criticize or dislike his solo career i mean. It's rather hypocritical of any Roger fanatic fan now too say the 87-94 era was a cash grab when Roger is doing a massive cash grab on Pink Floyd's biggest selling album. Take aside that he wrote some of the songs but at the end of the day it was a complete band effort not all down to Roger.

I have always been a DG fan but even i have said i dislike certain songs from his various albums. David and Roger have some poor songs in their solo discography. Also what i hate about some Roger fans is how they try to force onto you that Roger is god and you have to like it because he is a "genius". Even though they never acknowledge he is a nasty bully who likes to belittle people, the way he treated Rick is a prime example. Quick to attack David for his flaws not being a good songwriter, a fraud for continuing PF after Roger, quit a session guitar player,r "not an original member" etc yet never admit Roger is majorly flawed yet attacking personal insults at David & Polly is ok to do but say anything negative about Saint Roger you are classed as anti Roger or not a real PF fan.

I have seen all of those things said on Floyd Facebook Groups, Instagram, Facebook, Reddit and other forums