Live At Pompeii - A Review From A Long Time Fan.

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Just arrived from Amazon yesterday. I watched The Directors Cut last last night and will watch the original film on the DVD and Maben's interview tonight. I have one thing to say:

I have a SERIOUSLY BAD OYSTER CRAVING RIGHT NOW!!!! =P~ =P~ =P~

Mmmmmm.....

Film seems much more vivid...their lips look redder...the kaleidoscopic pattern on Nick's drumkit is bolder, lens flares are noticeable...I wonder if these were digitally added because I don't remember lens flares from the vhs version.

I couldn't figure out any English subtitles, so maybe I'll try my hand at figuring out what they say in the interviews by using a foreign language mode w/subtitles and seeing if I'm any good at translating. I was hoping they'd offer English subtitles but it looks not.

I would've much preferred they kept as much of the concert footage intact instead of adding the space stuff. I was especially disappointed to see what my husband dubbed "The miniature bandmembers" part disappear (during the 1st part of Echoes in the original film where they show small pictures of the band superimposed against Dave or Roger's guitar. I don't think the computer graphic imagery was necessary, but it wasn't horrible.

I loved the new black and white interviews. They were so looped! Roger was so animated...I love it!

In the one interview of David where they're talking about friction in the band and someone offscreen says something like "best things go unsaid" or words to that effect, and David says "yeah" it now shows a cutaway to Roger working in the studio. Hmmm. :-k

The buttons seem confusing. Pressed something in the "Odds 'n Sods" section and it took me directly to "Set the Controls." Weird.

Damn, I need a bigger tv. 19 inches just isn't cutting it anymore.

The way I see it, it has enough plusses (new b&w footage, dvd clarity) to compensate for the lack of the things missing from the vhs version, but in a way it's a completely new film. The original seemed more iconic, solitary. This one doesn't have that feel. I'm still glad I have it though.

Now where can I find some oysters on the halfshell around here? :evil: :twisted: