The truth about Rick Wright's contribution on The Wall

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Kerry King
Blade
Blade

Re: The truth about Rick Wright's contribution on The Wall

Post by Kerry King » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:12 am

Bob Ezrin [Circus magazine, April 1980]: "The credits would've read like the bible if we'd broken everybody's contribution down"

Roger Waters to Ezrin (according to Ezrin) [Circus, April 1980]: "You can write anything you want. Just don't expect any credit or money for it"

Roger Waters [Newsweek, March 1980]: "We've been pretending that we are jolly good chaps together, but that hasn't been true in seven years. I make the decisions. We pretended it was a democracy for a long time, but this album was the big own-up"

From an interview with Nick Mason [International Musician and Recording World, July 1981]:
Q: Are the members of pink floyd superfluous to what is happening?
Mason: "Yes, but that is part of what The Wall is about, the fact that you can be substituted"

From an interview with David Gilmour [Ciao 2001 magazine, August 1978]:
Q: Is Roger Waters the brains behind pink floyd?
Gilmour: "Well, I think so."

Jimi Dean Barrett
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Thank you whoever posted an interview or post where Waters and Gilmour really fell out over the Movie as it builds a bridge between listening to them as a band on The Wall and then The Final Cut. It sort of explains why those two albums measure differently for me.

mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:40 am

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:08 pm
Thank you whoever posted an interview or post where Waters and Gilmour really fell out over the Movie as it builds a bridge between listening to them as a band on The Wall and then The Final Cut. It sort of explains why those two albums measure differently for me.
Yes, Gilmour was still a huge part of the band on The Wall, but not on TFC. I really see The Wall as a collaboration between Rogers, Gilmour and Ezrin, while TFC was mostly a collaboration between Waters and Kamen. Gilmour really got frozen out of the creative process on TFC.

There is, of course, also the fact that Rick was still a member on The Wall. He didn't put in his most distinctive playing on it, and there is no evidence that he did any songwriting at all, but he had been a huge part of the band's sound and still did a lot of playing on The Wall (as pointed out in this thread), so his absence on TFC was still a quite significant change.