Piper 40th Anniversary Re-Release Confirmed: 3CD Box Set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Piper 40th Anniversary Re-Release Confirmed: 3CD Box Set

Post by Tenniru »

We are very happy to tell you that EMI have just issued a press release about the upcoming Piper At The Gates Of Dawn re-release. Release date is scheduled for 3 September 2007 and will be a Deluxe 3 CD set, in a DVD sized hardback book format with a reproduction of a previously unseen Syd Barrett notebook. There will be a Stereo disc, mono disc version of the album (different takes of the tracks), and a 3rd disc of all 1967 singles and B sides, plus unreleased edits of 2 tracks (TBC), all in sequence. All music remastered by James Guthrie. A 2 CD standard version of the stereo and mono discs, but without booklet and singles disc, will also be released in a brilliant box and will be priced at deluxe 1 CD price.

I decided a new topic was worth posting, as the other one dealt more with rumors, prediction, and doesn't attract quite as much attention anyhow now that the official announcement is out.

So, at last, we get something new. We get not only a GOOD mono transfer (about time), but remasters of the first three singles. Those who have heard The First Three/The Early Singles know that these songs desperately need it.

So, Disc Three:

1. Arnold Layne
2. Candy And A Currant Bun
3. See Emily Play
4. Apples And Oranges
5. Paintbox
6. Interstellar Overdrive (French EP Mix)
7. Apples And Oranges (Stereo Mix)

Discuss.

(Updated for the two confirmed tracks.)
Last edited by Tenniru on Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Piper 40th Anniversary Re-Release Confirmed: 3CD Box Set

Post by corie »

This is Fantastic.
Hopefully it will pave the path for more remasterd oldies and unreleased stuff for the future.
Maybee some live from the Vault.
Let's pray no delays and it comes out as planed !

Yipee ! :D
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Assuming this 40th-anniversary thing is important to all of their stuff and not just Piper, then I can imagine a Saucerful remaster next year. It was the last album with a mono mix, so I'm imagining a 3-disc set again with the remaining post-Apples singles and maybe some outtakes of the era (Beechwoods?).

Then, for More, a simpler one or two discs; maybe with Embryo, Biding My Time, Seabirds, and movie remakes. Ummagumma with the full gig. On and on until 2041, when the Wall Live 1980-1981 is released in 50000.1 audio and maybe even a taste of the footage (possibly in the form of a two-minute clip of Hey You or something).
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

by then it will be holographic suround virtual something or other . Comon it's Floyd they gotta be cuting edge right. :shock:
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Tenniru wrote:
We are very happy to tell you that EMI have just issued a press release about the upcoming Piper At The Gates Of Dawn re-release. Release date is scheduled for 3 September 2007 and will be a Deluxe 3 CD set, in a DVD sized hardback book format with a reproduction of a previously unseen Syd Barrett notebook. There will be a Stereo disc, mono disc version of the album (different takes of the tracks), and a 3rd disc of all 1967 singles and B sides, plus unreleased edits of 2 tracks (TBC), all in sequence. All music remastered by James Guthrie. A 2 CD standard version of the stereo and mono discs, but without booklet and singles disc, will also be released in a brilliant box and will be priced at deluxe 1 CD price.
So, at last, we get something new. We get not only a GOOD mono transfer (about time), but remasters of the first three singles. Those who have heard The First Three/The Early Singles know that these songs desperately need it.

So, Disc Three:

1. Arnold Layne
2. Candy And A Currant Bun
3. See Emily Play
4. The Scarecrow (might not make it, as mono version is already on Disc 2)
5. Apples And Oranges
6. Paintbox
7. ??
8. ??

No word on if these tracks will be in stereo or mono (currantly 1 through 3 only exist in mono, with Apples/Paintbox having stereo mixes; however, Paintbox's stereo mix fades out early).

The unreleased "edits" could be any number of things. Possibilities include:

-Interstellar Overdrive (French EP Mix)
-Matilda Mother (Full jam version, instead of chopped-up album take)
-Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk (Full jam version)
-Apples and Paintbox's stereo mixes
-Remember A Day instrumental
-Seven-Minute See Emily Play

Discuss.
Assuming the "press release" is accurate the 2 unreleased edits would almost certainly be the French EP Interstellar Overdrive mix and the version of Matilda Mother that pre-dates the edit peices that were incorporated later in the sessions. Those 2 are the only Piper items in the vault that could be described as "unreleased edits"..

There is no such thing as a "full jam version" of Stethoscope. There aren't any alternate versions of Stethoscope in the vaults. We know exaclty what Piper reels are in the vault thanks to the Random Precision book. The only alternate takes are a single alternate take of Ch. 24 (take 5) and 4 track reel of Matilda Mother takes from the Floyd's first EMI session. That's it.

I wouldn't describe the unreleased Matilda as a "full jam version". The version that was done before the "wondering and dreaming" and "sunshine" edit pieces were incorporated is only 20 seconds longer than the LP version. It's not that the album version was cut down; the "wondering and dreaming" and "sunshine" edit pieces *replaced* earlier sectons. We don't know what those earlier sections are, it could just be earlier recordings of those sections, sections with different lyrics, we don't know.

Whatever it is we know that everything after the point where the first edit piece was inserted in the released version (the edit piece is called "wondering and dreaming") is unheard 1967 Pink Floyd music including unheard Syd vocals. It could just be a early, rougher version of the sections in the album version or something else. In any event it woud be a shame if it wasn't released.

The Remember A Day instrumental that circulates is a fake. It was made by manipulating the official stereo mix.

Unless an acetate was discovered there is no 7 minute See Emily Play. All the reels from the session are long gone.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Tenniru wrote:Assuming this 40th-anniversary thing is important to all of their stuff and not just Piper, then I can imagine a Saucerful remaster next year. It was the last album with a mono mix, so I'm imagining a 3-disc set again with the remaining post-Apples singles and maybe some outtakes of the era (Beechwoods?).
I can't imagine the Floyd would issue a Saucerful deluxe edition. If they did it should have all 3 Vegetable Man takes, Scream, Beechwoods, John Latham, the 10 minute instrumental jam from the Beechwoods session, alternate versions of Jugband Blues, etc.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Chris Moise wrote:I can't imagine the Floyd would issue a Saucerful deluxe edition.
I believe they are not into 40th anniversaries, they are just into that whole anniversary thing...

So now we have Wish You Were Here 25th anniversary (with new artwork), Dark Side Of The Moon 30th anniversary (5.1), The Wall Tour 20th anniversary (official live release), and now The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, the highlight of which would be the Disc 3, in my opinion.
bacon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bacon »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Meddle is gettin close !
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

I wonder if they will release this issue in LP format? I'd love to get my hands on a new LP of all the floyd albums. So far i've only managed to get a brand new Dark Side, being the 30th special edition one. :) Doesn't half sound good, I miss my record player every day whilst I am at university - not being able to take it with me!
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

fantastic news indeed.

what about Animals and AMLOR? (30 and 20 years respective)
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

The Early Singles disc that was included with the Shine On box sounds wonderful. I've heard original 45's in good shape and the Early Singles disc compares favorably. The First Three Singles sounds like shit. Very bright, harsh, loud, digital sounding. I the tracklist is correct we will get a nice upgrade of the mono mix and the 2 unreleased edits..
fishes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by fishes »

i would release each album remastered with bonus discs of unreleased/alternate songs as well as live performances of tracks from the album(if available) and a bonus dvd of live performances...similar to what Genesis is doing with their remaster project
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Most of the albums have already been remastered, starting from Animals in 1992, but that idea with bonus material and/or DVD features is not bad at all.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

If they release the French EP IO, the early Matilda and the alternate Ch. 24 I'll be more than happy. Those are really the only unreleased items in the vault from the Piper sessions proper. Of course I'd love Beechwoods, John Latham, etc but those tracks are really from the Jugband Blues era. I can't see them including them with Piper. We really need to push for the alternate Ch. 24..
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Hudini wrote:Most of the albums have already been remastered, starting from Animals in 1992, but that idea with bonus material and/or DVD features is not bad at all.
The remasters sound like shit. Meddle and Animals in particular.