Question: TDSOTM

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
FROST

Question: TDSOTM

Post by FROST »

I'm a proud owner of Pink Floyd's "Dark side..." on white Vinyl. Perhaps that's relevant...

Please allow me the following questions:

1. After the last track the "heartbeat" continues and in the end I hear someone saying something like "There's no dark side on really - matter of fact it's all dark" or "dead"? What does he say? Any explanations?

2. What says the voice at the beginning (Speak to me)?

3. What (in your opinion) "happens" within "On the run"?! Since 09.11.01 I'm thinking about it...

Any answer would be nice. Thank you.

BTW: English is not my native language. Be patient ;-)

Pink Floyd forever - but only with Roger and without Syd = MHO!
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Ok, here we go:

After the heartbeat the pink Floyd producer (i can't remember his name) can be heard saying "there is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact it's all dark." This of course being because the light we see on the moon is just the sun's reflection.

Speak to me has a lot of voices, but here is the first one- "I've been mad for fucking years" and i can't quite hear what comes after that.

On the run features a runner and he looks above him and notices an airoplane. He jogs behind it and tries to keep up with it, but the plane then crashes to represent him collapsing of exhastion. This song is about constantly being on the run and trying to hard.
djproject
Axe
Axe

Post by djproject »

David Smith wrote:Ok, here we go:

After the heartbeat the pink Floyd producer (i can't remember his name) can be heard saying "there is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact it's all dark." This of course being because the light we see on the moon is just the sun's reflection.

Speak to me has a lot of voices, but here is the first one- "I've been mad for fucking years" and i can't quite hear what comes after that.
actually the last line was spoken by a janitor working at abbey road studios and i believe the beginning were spoken by roadies.

in general, various people contributed sound bytes as answers to questions roger waters asked them whilst recording the album ("have you ever been in the right?" or "are you afraid of dying?"). even paul and linda were asked but never made it onto the album for their answers were too obvious (they were in the studio at the time).
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

If you are a subscriber to the NPF newsletter, you will have the username and password to listn to the following page...

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/mp3/raudio/?url=03

It is the audio interview from "Us and Them"... it is the short, sharp shock sequence, they don't do it again etc. You get to find out the whole story behind the quote!! :lol:

I think it is Roger "The Hat" somebody or other. a road manager I think he was. Perhaps somebody will elaborate?
FROST

Post by FROST »

Hey, kjnpf! I just wanted to ask for the meaning of the "us and them"-sample! You read my thoughts - cool!

Thank you very much for the answers.

Allow me another question: Who do you think is laughing in "On the run"? The pilot or the runner?

laters, FROST
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

FROST, as I sit here pondering over your question, I first though the pilot would be laughing as he is looking down on this human being from his mechanical flying machine and laughing at his lack of progress. On the other hand, it may be a deeper laughter born out of mental torture from failure at a game he shouldn't be playing in the first place! He should just free his mind :shock: :lol: :lol:

Post by Guest »

Hm - I don't know if I understood you anyway... think it's time to read my dictionary ;-)

However - I think it's the pilot who's laughing (realize the CB-like voice). He thinks he's winning "the game" by technical advantages but he fails. Noone seems to win in the end. It's the old rabbit/hedgehog-theme...
Thinking about this I realize again how much reality such a short PF-Song can express...

Sorry, I'm not finished yet... :roll:

Please: why do the papers keep the lunatic's faces on the floor??? There's no way to translate this in a sensible way. Can you explain?

FROST
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The paper to me is the "certificate of insanity" that keeps the people down that are laughing too loud! You can laugh when you are mentally sound but when you are a bit stressed and laughing "too much" a certificate of insanity can hold that folded face (a face with laughter on it) to the ground... as in contain or repress it.

If an englishman is know for one thing, it is his stiff upper lip. In the face of adversity, an englishman will not admit defeat. He will fight on until he cannot fight no more. Adolf Hitler admired and feared this quality of the English.

Holding his folded face to the floor is pure and simple repression. The exact second reason why drugs are illegal... uncertainty and social unrest. Crazy people!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lyrics to this song are here
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

the name of the irish door man at Abbey Road was Jerry
mostHigh
Axe
Axe

Post by mostHigh »

jerry garcia wrote darkside of the moon

Post by Guest »

Argh - I fear I didn't understood anything...

BTW: While I'm writing this "Dogs" is running on my 1210... boy, what a song! What a record! And what a cover! I love the Battersea PS!

FROST
Terrapin

TDSOTM

Post by Terrapin »

The first words spoken are:
"I've been mad for fucking years, over the edge for yonks, working
with bands so long, crikey...."
pinktim
Axe
Axe

Assorted Dark Side Trivia

Post by pinktim »

Roger the Hat was a roadie for the band. He was a well known character in the early days. Known to be a fighter and a procurer of some very good things as welll as just being a character.

The band or possibly just Roger took a tape recorder and a set of questions that the band had developed and went out and recorded a variety of folks for use on the album. Included were a few of the Beatles, other well known celebrities of the time, roadies, models, friends and so on. Then they brewed the whole thing down to what is used on the album. None of the Beatles made it on the album.

The clocks and chimes on Time were recorded by a Roger and someone else associated with the band, the name slips me right now, but, I want to say Storm T------. Maybe someone else. Anyway they went out to this shop one day and set up all the clocks in the place to go off at the same time a recorded it. And, now you have it immortalized on the album.

Seems like I remember reading the running sounds were either recorded in a airport or in a bathroom. But, they wanted the echoes and the sounds to signify the chasing of time and other things.

If you get some of the offshoots of Pompeii, the recordings that are out there there is a variety of the organ/synthezer sounds that begin the album. Interesting to hear some of what they thought of doing.

Anyway, that is my contribution for now.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Assorted Dark Side Trivia

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

pinktim wrote:The clocks and chimes on Time were recorded by a Roger and someone else associated with the band, the name slips me right now, but, I want to say Storm T------. Maybe someone else.
Alan Parsons.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

kjnpf wrote:The paper to me is the "certificate of insanity" that keeps the people down that are laughing too loud! You can laugh when you are mentally sound but when you are a bit stressed and laughing "too much" a certificate of insanity can hold that folded face (a face with laughter on it) to the ground... as in contain or repress it.

If an englishman is know for one thing, it is his stiff upper lip. In the face of adversity, an englishman will not admit defeat. He will fight on until he cannot fight no more. Adolf Hitler admired and feared this quality of the English.

Holding his folded face to the floor is pure and simple repression. The exact second reason why drugs are illegal... uncertainty and social unrest. Crazy people!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lyrics to this song are here

Some very thought provoking responses here.

Now for my two cents...the mystery behind the line "The paper holds their folded faces to the floor" is, to me, shed some light upon by the following line, "And every day the paper boy brings more."

A good part of Roger's genius as a lyricist is in his ability to take the absolutely mundane and express it in new ways. To me, the line talks about photographs in newspapers which are usually delivered folded through the center...right about where a photograph is.

I am an American, and "hall" in the US refers to a strip of the house along which the bedrooms are. However, being a moderately educated American (a dying breed) I am aware that "hall" can also refer to the area of a house that you stand in as soon as you enter the door. A good place for a guy coming home from work to drop his newspaper. If the newspaper is lying on the floor, and it's folded through the front page photo, then the paper is holding the folded faces to the floor.

The line, to me, further describes the mental state of the person "singing" the song in that he feels that if it weren't for the paper holding the faces to the floor, the faces might very well float up and follow him. His paranoia is further described by the fact that his paperboy continues to bring more and more of these "folded faces."

Just some thoughts of my own.