Pulse hidden track = The Big Spliff?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Pulse hidden track = The Big Spliff?

Post by danielcaux »

Did PF actually recorded those ambient sounds that all you heard before the 87-94 concerts? If not, who?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

They did. It's on pulse tape (cassette).
But I dont know if sounds from '87 and '94 tour are the same thing. I doubt it.
The sounds from '94 had parts of Cluster one in...
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

TheLazenby wrote:No, you misunderstood me - "The Big Spliff" was the working title of an ambient album that PF made alongside "The Division Bell", according to Nick Mason. I was merely speculating that the nameless soundscape was actually a half-hour chunk of "The Big Spliff" album.
oh, i gotcha. i remember hearing that there was enough material for another album back when tdb was first released, but nobody's ever heard anything from it so i think it may be a myth. i doubt that the soundscape was part of it. it's too ambient to be a track from a pf album.
Damn!t wrote:They did. It's on pulse tape (cassette).
But I dont know if sounds from '87 and '94 tour are the same thing. I doubt it.
The sounds from '94 had parts of Cluster one in...
the sounds they used in '87 were different. as i recall, they used the sounds of a rowing boat (from the beginning of amlor) among other things.
Hogtown
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Hogtown »

TheLazenby wrote:No, you misunderstood me - "The Big Spliff" was the working title of an ambient album that PF made alongside "The Division Bell", according to Nick Mason. I was merely speculating that the nameless soundscape was actually a half-hour chunk of "The Big Spliff" album.
I believe the ambient material started at the beginning of the Division Bell recording sessions, and continued to accumulate throughout the recording process - jams that were eventually refined or jettisoned on the final album.

Speculation here, but I don't believe the "soundscape" is a chunk of the "Big Spliff".
rrrick6
Embryo
Embryo

Post by rrrick6 »

The hidden track on the Pulse cassette is definately the long preamble tape that was played whilst the auditorium was filling up during the Division Bell tour. This is from Pink Floyd Online:
The cassette issue had two bonus tracks: “One of These Days” and a 22 minute ambient piece that was played prior to the 1994 concerts.
The same sort of thing had been played before concerts for many years, certainly back to the DSOTM era and possibly before that. At Earls Court in 1994 I arrived fairly early and it seemed to go on for ages, much longer than 22 minutes. I think they also played something similar in the interval that eventually segued into the heartbeat at the beginning of DSOTM.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

they used ambient tapes to open the show as early as the 1967 Games For May concert
from the always reliable wikipedia:
The show was introduced with a series of tape recordings. Roger Waters created the opening dawn tape effects by using bird calls and various natural sounds (an effect he would use in both Cirrus Minor and Grantchester Meadows). The bubbles at the end of the show were created by Rick Wright while the ending piece was constructed by Barrett.
* Dawn (tape recording)
* "Matilda Mother" (Barrett)
* "Flaming" (Barrett)
* "Scarecrow" (Barrett)
* "See Emily Play" (Barrett)
* "Bike" (Barrett)
* "Arnold Layne" (Barrett)
* "Candy and a Currant Bun" (Barrett)
* "Pow R. Toc H." (Barret, Waters, Wright, Mason)
* "Interstellar Overdrive" (Barrett, Waters, Wright, Mason)
* Bubbles (tape recording)
* Ending (tape recording)
Encore:
* "Lucifer Sam" (Barrett)

I wonder if they used such tapes during their UFO days?
that Games For May concert was a deliberate attempt to create a theatrical experience for an audience seated and paying attention
before that they played to crowds who would dance and "be" and come and go as they pleased
theres an interview where Syd and Roger are talking about the need to structure their shows differently for theatre shows vs dancehall shows, I think maybe its the 1966 CBC interview?
they obviously put a lot of thought into that Games For May concert, and it was the blueprint for the complete multimedia experiences that came to be expected from them in the 1970s
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I have it from a very good source that the Games For May gig was recorded and that the tapes belong to Mason. My friend said at the time (Syd was still alive) that Nick was approached about releasing the recording and he said "no". Big bummer!
TheLazenby
Knife
Knife

Post by TheLazenby »

That's a shame... "Games For May" always struck me as sounding very bizarre, and I was always eager to hear it. Would've been a lot better than, say, "Oh By The Way"...

Which reminds me, WE NEVER GOT THE "SAUCERFUL" 40TH ANNIVERSARY BOX!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Nor will we.

What makes anyone think that they're going to give ALL of their albums the same treatment that PATGOD got?

PATGOD was:

1. The first album, so it gets special treatment.

2. Largely written by Syd...and the boys always felt guilty about the shoddy way they ditched him and so made sure he got money whenever they could have a say. Even though he's dead now, they're still making sure Syd's estate gets a continued income.

3. NOT an album they're trying to bury; unlike, say...ASOS and AHM.

It is my opinion that the deluxe PATGOD edition was a one-time only thing for that specific album...and not a manifesto of how they're going to be treating their catalogue from this point forward.

I think "Oh, By The Way" is the manifesto of how they're going to treat their catalogue from this point forward.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Could some of this Big Spliff stuff be the basis of the new album? I hope there is something more paletable than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwNYq-c0lBw
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Keith Jordan wrote:Could some of this Big Spliff stuff be the basis of the new album? I hope there is something more paletable than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwNYq-c0lBw
I wouldn't be surprised if this makes a partial appearance as an underscore to a musical piece.

if this new release is going to be a tribute to Rick Wright we should expect something more than just lawn mowers and waterfalls.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

If this is part of Pink Floyd's new album, it will be the Floyd equivalent to "Metal Machine Music".

I think I heard a vacuum cleaner in there too.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:If this is part of Pink Floyd's new album, it will be the Floyd equivalent to "Metal Machine Music".

I think I heard a vacuum cleaner in there too.
And if I recall there's also a noisy neighbour with a chainsaw and a woodpecker..