Why Pink Floyd - EMI Release Schedule Back catalogue Release

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Sordel
Axe
Axe

Re: ENTIRE CATALOG AND DELUXE EDITIONS COMING OUT! Unrelease

Post by Sordel »

There are still a lot of questions about this project. It would be nice to know more about the remasters for a start, because if they're audiophile quality, like the Dead Can Dance hybrid SACD boxed set, that in itself would probably make it worth going straight up to the two-disc editions.

Like others who have commented, I actually think that the Immersion sets so far have been full of stuff that is actually discouraging purchase: big boxes with scarves and coasters just don't cut it for me ... I just don't have room in my house to store all this junk on the off-chance that someone in 2050 will pay my heirs more for it than I paid for it in 2011. For me they could have just put all the extras on single-disc Blu-Rays at £20 and that would have been perfect. Traditionally, though, Pink Floyd fans have paid up whenever asked, so I guess it's worth a try to get them to pay £90 a pop for all 14 albums.
Steph22
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Steph22 »

Have the "fan bundles" been announced yet? I'd lke to see what those are all about. Hopefully they're not something lame like "get the Immersion box set along with A Foot In the Door", like we die hards need that.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Having started with the three biggest selling albums as Immersion sets etc maybe they will leave it at that as far as individual albums go and if they are to do others then release various things lumped together. I'm not sure I'd be wanting a Piper one myself as, much as I like the album, I find the thought of having the likes of Vegetable Man and Apples And Oranges plus various takes of Syd pretty off-putting to be honest. Not a single penny of the Morgan funds will be spent on an Animals release though.
Sordel
Axe
Axe

Post by Sordel »

I'd be very surprised if there weren't more than just the three Immersion sets. My guess is that they will do another three in a year, the same way that the Nick Cave remasters are coming out three per year: it spreads the investment risk very nicely. I would have thought that Animals and Meddle would be pretty obvious albums to get the deluxe treatment. Personally I'd be more interested in The Final Cut than Piper, but it will certainly be tempting for them to do a Piper set earlier rather than later. I admit that they may struggle with some of the less popular albums, but they can get around that by changing the amount of material that they put in each box and the price point. They could start doing two albums per box for example, but you have to bear in mind that the profit margin on these boxes is astronomical, so they've pretty much priced in at the start the price headroom that they will need for the later sets.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

swanning_it wrote:I haven't yet had time to study the releases like you guys, but I'm wondering if early Pink Floyd is off the table because of copyright issues with Syds estate?
Uhhh...

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

One of the 40th Anniversary reissues of this album.

Tracklist here
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... y_edition/

You're into a treat :D
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

sordel wrote:they may struggle with some of the less popular albums, but they can get around that by changing the amount of material that they put in each box and the price point.
this shouldnt be a problem with the early albums then
we all know theres a vast ammount of radio broadcasts and tv appearances from 68-70, adding in loads ofthis stuff will more than compensate for the lesser popularity of the studio album being reissued
its actually their mid/late 70s period thats underdocumented and those are the box sets theyve started with
voxish
Axe
Axe

Post by voxish »

kahlil wrote:Includes unreleased tracks such as Raving and Drooling/Gotta Be Crazy live, a track from Household Objects, quad mixes, the Wembley 74 concert, etc. etc.
http://www.amazon.com/s?_encoding=UTF8& ... 1305002756
<snip>
Holy f***** sh****!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! OMG. The Wall has 7 discs!!!!!! AAAA!!!!
Call that a box set...? THIS is a box set... http://www.dead.net/features/release-in ... r-60-discs

One tour, 60+ CDs of Grateful Dead... LOL. I know it's off-topic but I couldn't resist! (or the crocodile dundee reference for that matter... :roll: )

Incidentally I recently got the GD vinyl boxed set on Rhino Records - if PF produced one as good as that I'll queue up for it if necessary!
solemndrummer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by solemndrummer »

Hey !
I'm new here so sorry if I ask something stupid !
I'd just like to know if other releases could be expected later in addition to what is planned ? (other deluxe editions or maybe "live at pompeii" or the full 1974 Wembley gig ?)
Because I don't want to buy an entire "Discovery boxset" and then be fucked by another release of deluxe editions..
Moreover, there's already kind of a deception because, for example, if I buy the Discovery boxset + the immersion boxset of The Wall, I'll have The Wall in duplicate :-/ Maybe is there another solution to this kind of problem ?

By the way, is "Wine Glasses" (from "Household objects" project) a real new released thing ?

I hope I didn't disturb you too much with all these questions !
Thank you !

Lucas
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

solemndrummer wrote:If I buy the Discovery boxset + the immersion boxset of The Wall, I'll have The Wall in duplicate :-/ Maybe is there another solution to this kind of problem?
Yes, don't buy the Discovery boxset.

I believe the Discovery boxset is just the individual albums in a box, just like "Oh, By The Way", no more extras or anything else. So if you are planing to buy the Inmersion Boxsets, it would be wiser to buy the rest of the albums separately, to avoid overlapping. Although I don't really know if doing that would be cheaper than buying the Discovery boxset plus the three Inmersion sets.
Pink Lemonade
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink Lemonade »

Wow! I want!
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

kahlil wrote:Includes unreleased tracks such as Raving and Drooling/Gotta Be Crazy live, a track from Household Objects, quad mixes, the Wembley 74 concert, etc. etc.
-I came across a comment on a Macca site where someone said that Macca should learn a lesson from Floyd on how to re-issue stuff without pissing off fans. Not quite sure what the in's and out's of the arguments are though.
-I don't suppsoe Floyd will let us download the bit's n pieces we haven't got indvidually from itunes.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Hey, somebody got a little preview of the Immersion sets:

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/featu ... st-listen/
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

interesting, especially this bit:
When recording the Dark Side of the Moon live concerts, their were various technical problems, including the kick-drum being mic’d up incorrectly, meaning that non of that drum was recorded on tape. However spill from other mics picked it up slightly, and engineers were able to accurately recreate the kick-drum for the remastered live recordings.
which implies its not just going to be the BBC broadcast as circulated on a million boots, they had multitracks all along (of course they did)
the boots always bothered me a bit in that the guitar was too low in the mix, as well as some of the more significant sound effects, throwing off the whole dynamics
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, it seems Ron Toon posted something about the DSotM live recordings being recorded on 24 tracks, or something (that Y place)...not specific about how many shows (maybe just one), but implying the 1974 Wembely show being released probably was.