What a post Division Bell album would've sounded like

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

What a post Division Bell album would've sounded like

Post by ultimatefloydian »

Not sure if this was the place to stick this discussion or the Division Bell section, so I let someone who has a knowledge of how this forum wants to organize things take a whack at it if I didn't put it in the right place. But anyway, I was curious to hear other people's opinions of what an album created a few years after The Division Bell would've sounded like. I found myself asking this question after listening to how electronic Floyd was starting to sound with songs like Keep Talking (with that almost technoish kind of beginning as well as other various parts throughout the song) and Take It Back (mostly listening to the bits at the beginning and end with the beeping sounds and other effects similar). It almost sounded like they were on the verge of starting a brand new sound..almost a new ageish electronica inspired kind of deal especially with the increasingly heavy use of synth. That's not to say that synths are nothing new to them because obviously that would be a downright stupid thing to say, but my point is it started to become more heavily relied on kind of thing especially in Cluster One and Coming Back To Life. As well as that bringing up a similar question..what genre would you specifically stick Cluster One into? Because it doesn't sound like rock of any type..it sounds too gentle..yet still too much for most new age. I suppose you could say it would be a step towards On An Island with Division Bell influences, but these two albums were 12 years apart..that's quite a bit of time. So my point really is, what would've an album post Division Bell sounded like with everything I said taken into consideration with the possibility of a new sound forming from this album with Gilmour, and Wright's heavy influence? It kind of started to sound a little new ageish and a little electronic. Am I wrong? What's everybody's thoughts?
mosespa

Re: What a post Division Bell album would've sounded like

Post by mosespa »

I think the only reason it took 12 years to get from The Division Bell to On An Island is because Gilmour didn't have a deadline to meet; not that it necessarily took him that long to start writing.

It's possible that a post-TDB album might have sounded something like a cross between On An Island and Broken China.
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

mosespa wrote:I think the only reason it took 12 years to get from The Division Bell to On An Island is because Gilmour didn't have a deadline to meet; not that it necessarily took him that long to start writing.

It's possible that a post-TDB album might have sounded something like a cross between On An Island and Broken China.
No, I completely understand the reasoning of the considerable gap of time between TDB and On An Island; my point was that during a certain amount of time, a sound can change and evolve. Because of this larger interval of time, there could have been another evolution of the Floyd sound that we never heard..like I said; a sound that could've been more new age and electronica inspired..not to say that On An Island was an evolution of the Floyd sound, but seeing as Floyd was driven by Gilmour from the last album, it's fair to say that On An Island is an important piece and be considered an unofficial evolution of the sound.

As for the cross between On An Island and Broken China, I can't be too sure. Like I said, with the initial forming of what sounded like a new step of the sound (and potentially a whole new genre-you never know with Floyd) with the bit I first said. I've listened to Broken China a few times. It is an interesting album, but I don't exactly see an incredible amount of similarities there in comparison to the sound forming from TDB to justify that a cross between On An Island and Broken China would be how it may have went again also taking into consideration the considerable gap of time between TDB and On An Island and the evolution of a sound over time. There would just be a missing element there..something that faded away with the evolution with the gap of time. Maybe if the year was 2003 and we were discussing this..but I believe that in a rough time period such as 1995-1999 was a completely different sound for Gilmour (though we'll never know that unless those aborted sessions in 1998 show up) and style than it was in On An Island. It could've been I don't know. It's a good suggestion nonetheless. All I know is the chemistry that Wright and Gilmour had at that exact time sort of felt like it was forming something and leading to something else all together. But almost nothing on Broken China sounds like it could've been on TDB in my opinion..at least nothing that Wright exclusively wrote (Wearing the Inside Out), but that song kind of mismatched the rest of the album just in my opinion. I could be looking too deep into it, but I honestly think that there could be something there that maybe should be considered a little bit. Especially if you listen to Cluster One or some parts of Take It Back.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

No recordings left from the 2000/2001 sessions :( ?
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

moom wrote:No recordings left from the 2000/2001 sessions :( ?
I'm not sure. I think I did hear something about sessions happening at that point too, but my memory can't remember it well enough to be credible. All I fully knew about was the late 90's "aborted sessions" as well as that so called Satellite album with the reject Division Bell stuff. Because I actually have an audio interview that David talked a bit about the process that went into TDB recording how they had like almost 80 some odd pieces and demos, and they whittled it down to like somewhere in the 20's. But seriously think about that one for a second..that there was that many pieces..even 20 some odd semi final songs <.8.> . It actually wouldn't shock me hugely if the aborted sessions was actually rehashed stuff from the Satellite album considering that's what a lot of artists do when they run short of material.
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

Funny isn't it? After I post this thread on the forum of what a Pink Floyd album after the Division Bell will sound like, it's announced that a new Pink Floyd album is being released....OH MY GOD I CAN'T EVEN SIT HERE AND TYPE THIS CALMLY. A PINK FLOYD ALBUM BASED ON THE OUTTAKES <.8.> . Not only that..a new Pink Floyd album in general. Someone smack me I'm dreaming.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

ultimatefloydian wrote:Funny isn't it? After I post this thread on the forum of what a Pink Floyd album after the Division Bell will sound like, it's announced that a new Pink Floyd album is being released....OH MY GOD I CAN'T EVEN SIT HERE AND TYPE THIS CALMLY. A PINK FLOYD ALBUM BASED ON THE OUTTAKES <.8.> . Not only that..a new Pink Floyd album in general. Someone smack me I'm dreaming.

Start a thread on them announcing a tour. See if you can do it again :D
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

Isntthiswherewe wrote:Start a thread on them announcing a tour. See if you can do it again :D
Maybe I should. Perhaps I just discovered I have some kind of magical ability <.8.>
Nicholas
Axe
Axe

Post by Nicholas »

I'm not sure what happened after The Division Bell and Pulse and if anyone knows more it would be good to know.

All I'm aware of is that Richard released a solo album, Echoes Best Of came out, David made a DVD, then an album, another DVD and a live album.

In that time Roger did a couple of tours and released an opera. And Nick played at the Olympics.

Was there an effort to produce new Pink Floyd material which was replaced in the schedules by the best of?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

In case it's of any help, this is how Gilmour sounded in 1999...

Yeah I know, stripped away from his guitar playing superpowers he becomes just another regular old man playing guitar at a bar, remembering his golden years gone by.
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

Looks like we will see in October. Too bad I don't think waters will feature but in maybe one track that is being called the final song?
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

Can I just say, can I have the NPS admins look at this and archive it somehow for amazing timing or for my newly discovered talent? I mean the timing was just perfect. =P~ My question was answered by fate.
FleetingGlimpse
Embryo
Embryo

Post by FleetingGlimpse »

I think it would have pushed in a new age direction, with some folky tracks to break it up a bit. Maybe some solo piano stuff too.