New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The endless River'

Post by hazchem »

Several people have asked this question...and of all the answers I've seen to that question, none of them have been the obvious answer:

Because Gilmour finally got around to seeing what could be done with it.

Remember, these "leftovers" from The Division Bell are probably little different from the pieces that began The Division Bell.

Read a Pink Floyd book, for fuck's sake...they didn't WRITE that album and then just toss this stuff aside; they jammed...and jammed...and jammed...and jammed...and they took the bits that they liked best (in the moment) and then made songs out of those.

Gilmour's probably doing the same thing, here. Taking the bits which seem most promising and turning them into songs.

It's not that they weren't "good enough" before...it's just that at the time, these bits were liked a little bit less than the bits which became TDB.
I agree entirely. I'm amazed at some of the negativity and pessimism here, it is very off putting and frustrating. Being a musician myself and understanding the process of how one may pick songs from material that has been laid down I suppose may make it easier to see what Gilmour is doing here. We can easily have over 10 hours of material to play with when we are looking to put a small album together and some material is revisited over time. Where are the rules about what a new studio album should and should not contain?

Look at what Gilmour done with some of Barrett's material! There are some great Barrett songs that Gilmour has mixed and produced.

We have heard that Gilmour was in the studio ages ago and was 'working on a solo album'. it's now being said that this was a secret PF album. I'm quite sure he isn't sitting on his ass doing nothing. If he has taken some older recordings and, added more instruments and vocals with Mason drumming whilst keeping Ricks keyboard parts and the backing gals are back then as far as I'm concerned it's a new Pink Floyd album, simple!!!

I wish the grumblers would stop with their moaning about Polly Samson, Waters not being around, re-hashing old material, a gig not being forth coming and all the other negative comments.
Last edited by hazchem on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Hey without us grumblers around conversation wouldn't be half as interesting. It sparks debate and discussion, 2 things this forum needs.

With that said it is a real shame Waters isn't on the new album 8)
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

I hate to be negative here (or maybe I don't), but it can only ever be rump of the rump stuff.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Hey without us grumblers around conversation wouldn't be half as interesting. It sparks debate and discussion, 2 things this forum needs.

With that said it is a real shame Waters isn't on the new album 8)
Ha-ha, see what I mean. How do you know Waters has not contributed to the album? Why not just wait and see?

Anyway, if he hasn't then big deal. The PF sound has bloomed well enough without him.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Sorry for the double post, but I do agree with the previous post about how musicians come back and revisit old music and add to it. I have done this myself on numerous occasions- recently on a piece of music I composed, I revisited an unused theme that I had written 5 years ago but didn't find a place for it until now. But it fit like hand in glove. Hopefully these are the type of things going on with the new Floyd project.

Writing music in a way is similar to making a movie- the more footage a director shoots, the more he has to work with when editing the final project together. Likewise, the more music you record, the more options you have.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

This holds the chance of being the band's most experimental offering in ages because it looks like it doesn't stem from formal songwriting. It could also be terribly boring - we'll see...
Last edited by mastaflatch on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

yeah, yeah. It could be terribly marvelous too.

I suppose when there is rain due you worry that you might have to go out and buy a boat to survive the earth ending floods?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

hazchem wrote:yeah, yeah. It could be terribly marvelous too.

I suppose when there is rain due you worry that you might have to go out and buy a boat to survive the earth ending floods?
:roll:
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

I think chance of what are essentially 20 year old leftovers being "terribly marvelous" is somewhat remote, but we will hope for the best.
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

mosespa wrote:[quote="everton1690"

Read a Pink Floyd book, for fuck's sake...they didn't WRITE that album and then just toss this stuff aside; they jammed...and jammed...and jammed...and jammed...and they took the bits that they liked best (in the moment) and then made songs out of those.

Gilmour's probably doing the same thing, here. Taking the bits which seem most promising and turning them into songs.

It's not that they weren't "good enough" before...it's just that at the time, these bits were liked a little bit less than the bits which became TDB.."
...which is exactly how Echoes came about, and even Dogs and Sheep. I look forward to the results. Not expecting something epic.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I will judge it when I hear it. Although, I admit, 20 years is a long time, Floyd do have history with 're-packaging' stuff that has been around for years - DSOTM, Animals, The Wall, The Final Cut........and some of that was quite decent :lol: But it is something to get excited about. I honestly never thought there would be another Floyd album.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I agree with the comments that suggest that because it's being reworked, to the point of adding lyrics etc., that any status the material had as 'leftovers' becomes irrelevant.

BTW: When I saw the headline of the email sent out, the first thing I thought was that it would be a Dave, Nick, & Roger album.
Last edited by Annoying Twit on Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

It would seem Nick Mason has been quite determined to keep the band alive according to this Sun newspaper article.
Pink Floyd New Album Sun Article.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

That's a picture of two dudes in need of a personal trainer.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Well, it says right there in the article Waters isn't involved...meh. I could have assumed that anyway with it being material re-worked from the Division Bell period.

I look forward to hearing Roger's opinions on Dave and Nick using the Pink Floyd title again :twisted: