New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The endless River'

Post by cskg25 »

Household Division Bell Objects? ;)

I am hopeful, because PF have a long history of being innovative. Ooooh, maybe a DSD release? =P~

As far as the actual album release though, I'm more concerned with the possibility of "exclusive this, exclusive that" scenarios, especially after missing out on the TDB 5.1 DVD ... :mad:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Finally posted on official site: http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/index.php

"Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album, The Endless River, in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the summer."

Youth?! Wow!
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
hazchem wrote:
1. Are you reading the same articles as me?

2. It isn't reworked material.

3. It is some ideas that are left over from the '94 sessions.

4. Why would Waters have anything debatable to say about a new PF album?
1. Yes.
2. Yes it is.
3. Precisely. Recycling left over ideas is a form of reworking old material.
4. His past hatred of Pink Floyd going on without him perhaps? He is well known for stating that the only decent song on AMLOR was "On the turning away". Not sure of his opinions on the Division Bell.
Perhaps I'm being overly pedantic, but the word 're-worked' is no where to be seen on the official press release.

The word could be used and would make sense if there were actual tracks that had been released and they were being re-mixed; a word synonymous with re-worked. These are sessions or demo/jam recordings laid down in '94 that are being made into tracks to create a new album, I'm pretty sure there is a difference. My point being is that some folks are grumbling about this approach despite that fact that this was how The Wall and The Final Cut albums came to be and is how a lot of musicians produce music. Recycling? Re-worked? Nope! Those words don't make sense to describe the process which is precisely why you won't find them used on their official press release. 'Based' would be the correct word.

Waters won't be saying much, and if anything it will certainly not be controversial; something that is obvious from his relationship with Gilmour and Mason now and can be quite clearly gathered through interviews and meetings over the last few years.
henno

Post by henno »

Anything even remotely in the same family of marooned has me excited.
Divison bell era was strong musically if a little lite lyrically, So an album of ambient instrumentals could turn out to be excellent.
alframsey90
Embryo
Embryo

Post by alframsey90 »

I'd just like to say, as a Floyd fan in my early twenties, this is an exciting announcement if only because it is the first really thing I can sink my teeth into in the same first hand way my fellow PF fans around the world will. It is simply magical stuff and I was rendered speechless when I heard this news! While I don't expect there will be a supporting tour (or indeed a live show to support it) I am secretly holding out for a show for PF as Glastonbury Festival headliners :p
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I've come to a conclusion, that I don't care if it's "reworked material".

It's a freaking new Pink Floyd album, with songs we've never even heard before. Come on guys! Something we've dreamed about for over 20 years (I haven't, as I'm only 16 haha), it's something we never thought was going to happen ever! And it's bloody happening!

Let's be just thankful that it's finally come around, and that pigs have flown again.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

henno wrote:Anything even remotely in the same family of marooned has me excited.
Divison bell era was strong musically if a little lite lyrically, So an album of ambient instrumentals could turn out to be excellent.
I totally agree with you here. I'm stoked for this album. I actually love instrumental and ambient music, and would love to hear something like this. I have "high hopes', as it were.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Reworked, recycled, remixed... What's the difference AND who cares really? It's new completely unheard Floyd. So even if it sucks, and some of the tracks sure will (remember Polly Samson is on board with lyrics this time too) it's good to finally been able to listen to it. Period.

My hypothesis is that after Rick's death, Dave gave a listen to these outtakes/demos, out of pure nostalgia, and realized that most of them were actually better than On An Island... but that's just me.

AND another random thought... given the recycled/archival nature of the material, should we expect an old Storm Thorgerson outtake pic from the Division Bell sessions as the cover, or a completely new one by another artist?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Been listening to this this morning

http://thinkfloyd61.blogspot.com.au/201 ... -this.html

01. Like A Rolling Stone (David Gilmour demo 1983)
02. Like A Rolling Stone (David Gilmour demo 1983 - FM source)
03. Learning To Fly (Jon Carin demo 1986)
04. Learning To Fly (Jon Carin demo 1986 - FM source)
05. The Dogs Of War (demo 1986)
06. Signs Of Life (outtake 1986)
07. Untitled #1 (demo 1993)
08. Untitled #2 (demo 1993)
09. Untitled #3 (demo 1993)
10. Untitled #4 (demo 1993) (incl. What Do You Want From Me)
11. Untitled #1 (outtake 1993)
12. Wearing The Inside Out (outtake 1993)

The Instrumental Suite (outtake 1993):
13. - Cluster One
14. - Marooned
15. - Untitled
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

danielcaux wrote:Reworked, recycled, remixed... What's the difference AND who cares really? It's new completely unheard Floyd. So even if it sucks, and some of the tracks sure will (remember Polly Samson is on board with lyrics this time too) it's good to finally been able to listen to it. Period.

My hypothesis is that after Rick's death, Dave gave a listen to these outtakes/demos, out of pure nostalgia, and realized that most of them were actually better than On An Island... but that's just me.

AND another random thought... given the recycled/archival nature of the material, should we expect an old Storm Thorgerson outtake pic from the Division Bell sessions as the cover, or a completely new one by another artist?

Yes, I agree 100%. It makes no difference at all. This news has been the last thing that I've thought about before going to bed and the first thing that I've thought about when I've woken up (once at 5am for a pee and then again when I get up at 7am for work). <ii>

I'd love to see some previous ideas from Thorgerson as art on the front cover.

Ohhhh, it shouldn't be hard to beat On An Island....terrible album I'm sad to say, IMO. <.8.>
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

hazchem wrote:Ohhhh, it shouldn't be hard to beat On An Island....terrible album I'm sad to say, IMO. <.8.>
Yeah well... YOU'RE a terrible album!
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

jambo wrote:
hazchem wrote:Ohhhh, it shouldn't be hard to beat On An Island....terrible album I'm sad to say, IMO. <.8.>
Yeah well... YOU'RE a terrible album!
album
ˈalbəm/
noun
noun: album; plural noun: albums

a blank book for the insertion of photographs, stamps, or pictures.
"the wedding pictures had pride of place in the family album"
a collection of recordings issued as a single item on CD, record, or another medium.
"his debut album was very much influenced by the jazz sound"

.................I'm not with you. I hope that wasn't a personal attack for having my own opinion in here?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Mr. Jambo's post was clearly in jest.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I try...