Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Pink Floyd - The early years 1965-1972 box set

Post by Wolfpack »

Today, Stephen Thomas Erlewine wrote on Steve Hoffman Music Forums:
De-lurking to say that the finished product does indeed mirror the review stream, so the track labelled "Seabirds" is an instrumental, not the song heard in More. The 1972 volume has Live At Pompeii but in the booklet the CD is listed as the 2016 mix of Obscured By Clouds. The disc in the paper sleeve is Obscured By Clouds.
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-15340006

It's final. No 'Seabirds' in the box set! :cry:
Only some instrumental (mis?)labeled as such.

What a let down! I've been excited for months,
telling people about soon being able to hear this song. [-o<
And... it's just not in the box! ](*,)

Of course, some people might argue that there's still lots of other stuff included.
But 'Seabirds' interests me much more than multiple versions of the same title, when it comes to the Waters Floyd (1968-1972).
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Kerry King wrote:Vegetable Man would have made a better A side than Scream Thy Last Scream if they had released it as their third single.
Wolfpack wrote:'Vegetable Man' wouldn't have been a hit.
Until the "I've been looking"-part, 'Vegetable Man' has some intentionally awkward chord progression and a busy tirade of words.
The listener is terrorized until the Vegetable Man appears ("ah ah ah"), to save the day with some catchy pop tunes: the catchy "I've been looking" and the catchy sing-along rock outro.
Before those catchy parts, the music is one big anti-commercial f*ck the world. If you ask me.
I said it would have made a better single than Scream. You seem to think I said it would be a hit. I guess you think Scream is more upbeat? Old women with caskets?
Wolfpack wrote:I do like the song, but mostly when I'm in some emo world-hating punk mood.
Maybe some authentic reverb would help.

[quote=""Wolfpack""]Really? Should 'Paintbox' have remained unreleased? :shock:[/quote]
As opposed to Vegetable Man. Yes. Not forever and ever. Although it is a piece of fluff.

[quote=""Wolfpack""]In real life, I've yet to find someone who likes it. (Even though they do like other Barrett tunes.)[/quote]
They? You mean the people in "real life"? I suppose some "real lives" are broader than others.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Kerry King wrote:I said ['Vegetable Man'] would have made a better single than Scream. You seem to think I said it would be a hit.
Why would you release a single if you don't expect it to be a hit? :lol:
Kerry King wrote:[quote=""Wolfpack""]In real life, I've yet to find someone who likes it. (Even though they do like other Barrett tunes.)
They? You mean the people in "real life"? I suppose some "real lives" are broader than others.[/quote]
Real life, virtual life... Go find any people who think 'Vegetable Man' would be any good as a single. :lol:

'Seabirds' would have been a great hit... :P
I'm back to mourning about this holy grail remaining unreleased... :cry:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Wolfpack wrote:Why would you release a single if you don't expect it to be a hit?
Record company pressures? All members of Pink Floyd openly hated 'It Would Be So Nice' and yet it got released as a single.

And yes, 'Vegetable Man' would have been a better choice for one than 'Scream Thy Last Scream'. I'd even say it would have been a better choice than 'Apples And Oranges', which should have had its A and B sides switched around.

I for one believe 'Paintobox' is one of their best early non-album tracks, and 'Vegetable Man' is among Barrett's best work post-TPATGOD. But I guess you'd say I'm not a real person. :smt102
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Paintbox should of been the third single to take pressure off Syd and show the world of Pop charts Pink Floyd were a band more than just Syd.
But they flutter behind you, your possible pasts....
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

Hudini wrote: And yes, 'Vegetable Man' would have been a better choice for one than 'Scream Thy Last Scream'. I'd even say it would have been a better choice than 'Apples And Oranges'
absolutely. "vegetable man" is a born A-side. a hit? well, maybe not a chart-topper, but a massively influencial track regardless. it's legendary now for its unreleased status, but it would have been a true classic had it hit the general public in '67.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Personally I'v always thought that the band would have been best suited putting them out on Saucerful, something like...

Saucerful of Secrets

Side A

Let There Be More Light
Vegetable Man
Corporal Clegg
Scream Thy Last Scream
Jugband Blues

Side B

Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Remember a Day
Saucerful of Secrets

One side devoted to frayed nerve psychedelica marking the end of that era and the other the more expansive sound of where the band was going.
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

MoreOrLess wrote:Personally I'v always thought that the band would have been best suited putting them out on Saucerful, something like...

Saucerful of Secrets

Side A

Let There Be More Light
Vegetable Man
Corporal Clegg
Scream Thy Last Scream
Jugband Blues

Side B

Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
Remember a Day
Saucerful of Secrets

One side devoted to frayed nerve psychedelica marking the end of that era and the other the more expansive sound of where the band was going.
That's a nifty tracklist, I like the idea of each side having it's own different feel.

My version of 'Saucerful of Secrets: redux" includes outtakes/singles and one song that Syd worked on in 1968 for early 'Madcap Laughs' sessions, and focuses more on songs (shock horror - no room for the lengthy title track! )

Side 1:
Let there be more light
Remember a day
Set the controls for the heart of the sun
See saw
Late night

Side 2
It would be so nice
Apples and oranges (note: instead of issuing it as a single in late 1967, they re-record it with the kinks/bad production ironed out)
Paintbox
Julia Dream
Scream thy last scream
Jugband blues

In that scenario, the late 1967 single would be Vegetable Man b/w Reaction in G.

First single off the album would be Let there be more Light b/w Corporal Clegg

Second Single would be Paint Box b/w Swan Lee (Silas Lang)

Then a 3rd (non album) single of Point me at the sky b/w Careful with that Axe Eugene as per normal

Mind you, with the box set coming out soon, that may change.. I think the post-Piper late 1967-1968's work is gonna get a massive reappraisal (akin to the Who Sell Out sessions) when this comes out.

I love that period of Pink Floyd already, but I know many fans that dismiss it as "rubbish compared to Piper" (some Syd fans) or "rubbish compared with what they went on to do" (Classic era Pink Floyd fans)
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Your probably going to need to wait until next year when the separate sections are released to get more of a widespread reaction to the Barrett stuff especially although I think the late 60's post Piper as a whole will probably benefit from the new releases.

What potential could have happened I spose looking at this hypothetical albums is that you get a more Barrett focused 2nd album released in very early 68 and then another album released latter in 68 using stuff like Careful With That Axe Eugene.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hudini wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:Why would you release a single if you don't expect it to be a hit?
Record company pressures? All members of Pink Floyd openly hated 'It Would Be So Nice' and yet it got released as a single.
'It Would Be so Nice' and 'Point Me at the Sky' are obvious attempts in trying to make commercial hits.
And didn't Pink Floyd (or at least Barrett) also dislike 'Arnold Layne' and 'See Emily Play', rather not wanting to perform them live?
Hudini wrote:And yes, 'Vegetable Man' would have been a better choice for one than 'Scream Thy Last Scream'. I'd even say it would have been a better choice than 'Apples And Oranges', which should have had its A and B sides switched around.
I think neither 'Apples and Oranges', 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' are any good as a single
Same for 'Jugband Blues'.
Hudini wrote:But I guess you'd say I'm not a real person. :smt102
Why would I? :?
MoreOrLess wrote:Personally I'v always thought that the band would have been best suited putting them out on Saucerful, something like...
Shouldn't this be in another topic?

Back to the box...
Back to the missing 'Seabirds'...

Yesterday, Twittering Machine showed the song's sheet music on Steve Hoffman Music Forums.
Source: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/p ... t-15341575

Or maybe I should make a topic about this song,
so the omission gets more attention?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Pink Floyd - Nothing Part 14 (Official Music Video) video by Ian Eames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiyuG20bhO4
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

https://youtu.be/Y6Hkt0wzDYgv

Unboxing! With Nick in it!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

Not long to wait now -
Amazon wrote:Your item is being sent by Amazon Logistics. Your tracking number is Q2...........
<ii>
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I hope everyone enjoys the big box.

I'm having to make do with the 2CD set for now, just can't afford the $500-$750 it would cost in Australia.

Loving the longer tracks on the small release, so great to hear Embryo and AHM nice and cleaned up.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

It's arrived

Staggeringly good, beautifully presented ... plus a bonus disk; this is a replacement CD containing the Obscured by Clouds 2016 remix for OBFUSC/ATION as the box contains the stereo 2016 mix of 'Live at Pompeii' supplied in error

<ii>