Where The Wall started

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
rorygentry
Axe
Axe

Where The Wall started

Post by rorygentry »

While visiting London to see the Pink Floyd "Their Mortal Remains" exhibit, I took a side trip to Cambridge to walk in the band's footsteps.

While "The Wall" is by no means my favorite Pink Floyd album, one of my most vivid memories is visiting the Hills Road Sixth Form College (formerly Cambridgeshire High School for Boys). Having visited the school that inspired songs like "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" has given me a different appreciation of the album as well. I took a photo of the front doors of the school where Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, and Storm Thorgerson once attended. I've placed it side by side with a vintage photo of the school. https://pix.sfly.com/yOJFDc
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

Re: Where The Wall started

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

That is very cool! Thank you for sharing this.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Ah I am big on nostalgia and the comparison is fab.
Have been meaning to do exactly what you did in Cambridge too. Did you visit any other places whilst you were there?
rorygentry
Axe
Axe

Post by rorygentry »

Oh yes- I laid in Grantchester Meadows and listened to... Grantchester Meadows! LOL Just across the street from that is David's boyhood home. Also stopped by The Anchor bar, where the band hung out, and Syd visited there until his death. Also popped into Miller Music, where they used to listen to new records when they came out, and try to play them later that night. :) It made for a really nice day. I enjoyed Grantchester Meadows most of all.