Could an "In the Flesh" live release have worked?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Could an "In the Flesh" live release have worked?

Post by MoreOrLess »

Leaving aside whether quality recordings were actually made or not do you think a recording of the 77 In The Flesh tour could have been a successful release at the time?

It would have had the advantage of allowing the band to release something relatively quickly when their investment/tax issues became a problem in 79 and would potentially have meant they were under less pressure to get The Wall out that year. Personally I do still feel that album is at least a couple of real stand out tracks light and without the time issues maybe Wright wouldn't have been forced out? On the negative side of that I spose you could argue that The Wall coming out when it did was advantageous tapping into the tale end of the anger of punk and that by mid 1980 things had moved along a bit musically.

I'd guess to have something close to the live show you would need a triple album release with Animals and Wish You Were Here each having 3 sides and maybe room for one encore depending on which performance of Shine One 6-9 they used. I don't think in itself that would be a problem compared to say DSOTM which would IMHO loose some of its appeal if spilt up over 3 album sides.

I still think this tour represents the best of the bands "classic rock"(so when most of the space rock had been dropped post 73), the 74/75 shows beyond having work in progress material do to me feel a little sparse with a single guitarist were as The Wall shows become much more tightly regimented. The 77 tour though with White as an extra guitarist seemed ideal for that kind of material to me allowing for more in the way of colour/improvisation to be added.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Re: Could an "In the Flesh" live release have worked?

Post by Master_Chief »

I'm holding out on something like this coming out next.

They've released The Early Years and now The Later Years, surely the logical step will be something akin to The Legendary Years/The Golden Years where they capture DSOT, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall. First and foremost they'll have to wrangle the rights of The Wall from Roger. But imagine what could be released!
  • Brighton 1972 in it's entirety
  • Wembley 1974 in it's entirety
  • An immersive edition of Animals, including official footage of the album shoot over Battersea Power Station
  • Recordings from the In The Flesh Tour which must exist somewhere, I'm sure I've been footage somewhere on YouTube
  • The Wall film in Blu Ray
  • The Wall Live at Earl's Court 1981
  • The Final Cut EP in Blu Ray if they're feeling really generous
Now that I would pay silly money for. Is there anything I've missed? :D [-o<
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Technically Wembley 1974 is out complete but how they have released it, they did it in a dumb way spread over 3 releases.
mabewa
Axe
Axe

Post by mabewa »

I actually saw a live album from '77 here in Japan the other day, at sale at Tower Records (which still exists in Japan). Think it was from the Oakland show. I listened to parts of it on headphones. It starts out sounding really badass (Sheep was great live), but Welcome to the Machine sounded quite distorted--seems that the quality of it really varies. I may buy it, but I really wish they would find the best-sounding recordings and then work some modern studio magic to make them sound as good as possible. Definitely one of the most desirable PF tours in terms of material played.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

The Oakland show is unoffical but is easily obtainable in the UK ... oh, and for information Tower Records still trades in Ireland.