The Wall 1982 as a fully animated film?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
rockfenris2005
Axe
Axe

The Wall 1982 as a fully animated film?

Post by rockfenris2005 »

A friend of mine and I always bring this up every couple of years. What do you think this would have been like? Full Gerald Scarfe animated version of the album, in the vein of Beatles "Yellow Submarine". Would it have been better? Well, at least to me anyway.

Edit: not that this was ever actually going to be a thing, as far as I know anyway.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The Wall 1982 as a fully animated film?

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

It would probably be as well regarded as the film we got. In my head I can just about see how it could be.
But that's doing away the atmospheric photography in the film. Even that "upload your photographs and we'll turn them into painting" couldn't do an animated in its entirety film of The Wall.
"What's done is done"
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Thinking about it reminded me of the film American Pop, though I had no idea when it was made - turns out it was 1981!

https://youtu.be/VBwz9Pijr1E
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Scarfe's book on the making of The Wall reprints a lot of one version of storyboard that Scarfe had done which "hits all the beats," I guess you could say, but there's also an awful lot of single pictures representing entire songs or huge portions of songs.

I'm sure I'd still count it among my favorite movies of all time, though.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:45 pm But that's doing away the atmospheric photography in the film.
Yeah a fully animated The Wall would have no doubt been interesting, but we would have missed out on one piece of imagery I found particularly unsettling - when Pink's father gets blown up, for a couple of frames his face has been replaced with the sorted of melted screaming face used on all the posters. Scared the hell out of me, that did
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

theaussiefloydian wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:26 am
Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:45 pm But that's doing away the atmospheric photography in the film.
Yeah a fully animated The Wall would have no doubt been interesting, but we would have missed out on one piece of imagery I found particularly unsettling - when Pink's father gets blown up, for a couple of frames his face has been replaced with the sorted of melted screaming face used on all the posters. Scared the hell out of me, that did
That's a great- do they call them transitions? But that bits really effective. Would have liked more drawing jump cut. Ah! Jump cuts I think they're called.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

The other thing too of course is whether Gerald Scarfe would have tolerated working with Waters for an entire film. The story goes he was pre-gaming meetings with Roger with Jack Daniels as it was only doing 15 minutes of animation so I suspect it would have come to blows if they'd done the full 90 minutes animated. Which is a shame, but again I think that blend of live action and animation actually helps with the surrealistic atmosphere of the film.