DSotM

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

DSotM

Post by Keith Jordan »

There's no dark side of the moon really... as a matter of fact, it's all dark!

Discuss.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

There is no insanity really, matter of fact everything is insanity. ok that was bad. hmmm, maybe its saying that after you listen to dsotm, you think "wow, thats insane" but when you hear that your like "oh, thats normal human life" plus, sounds to me like he says in the moon, but lets not discuss that
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Theory 1

The bad things in life aren't real and are just a reflection of the failure of the good things in life. Using the sun as a metaphor for good and the moon as bad, the moon is lit by the sun's reflection. Our problems are more psychological than anything else because we tell ourselves somethings negative when really it's just because it's not going our way.

Theory 2

Ok, often we overshadow the bad things in life with good things and don't apreciate how nagative it's affects are. An example being the twin towers thing how rather than greiving over those that died the marketers saw it as an oppurtutity to get The Who to play live. We often make the most of of a bad situation rather than working things out properly because it's just a reflection of the satisfied bits of us reassuring the rest of us that everything's fine. reassurance is human nature and it's human nature to make the best out of a bad situation and make ourselves beleive it.

That is until we consider bad situations are just that... All bad situations and the sooner we come to terms with that rather than letting it bog us down then the sooner we stop going through all this fake insanity. Everyone feels that way, although if we took things at face value rather than trying to mkae them seem better than we succed more.

Roger accepts he sugarcoats such things to protect himself to when he says "i'll see you on the dark side of the moon" during brain damage. He says dark sie in beleif that negative situations are often ok, and that he can make it better in his head to protect himself.

Hmm, ok, both of those were probably wrong and i'm guessing Mosespa has something intresting to say about it so i'm going to look very crap very quickly. Ok, next!
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

it was a meaningless little thing roger threw in at the end of the album as an obvious piece of comic relief.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Having only been NEAR the darkside of the moon spiritually and not physically, who am I to judge?

I think that we are thrown into a morass of both negative and positive. The difficult thing is to avoid or (if you have to ) DEAL with the negative.

I suffer from severe depression at times (yes i take my meds!). My father died this Dec, my nephew died last week at 32 (!) from cancer. Can we get any more depressed? Probably.

The woman who lost her 32 year old son just lost her husband to a degenerative nerve disorder a couple of years ago. Now she has lost her only child. She is someone who should be at the darkside but is not.

We need to focus on the positive and not the negative. Try not to watch or hear too much world news (you must hear some as it it important, but it is often depressing). Try to do what makes you happy

MOST OF ALL: PLAY SOME MUSIC, ESPECIALLY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND IF THAT IS PINK FLOYD, GREAT! IF NOT, LISTEN TO THAT WHICH DOES MAKE YOU HAPPY. MUSIC REALLY IS A PALLIATIVE.

As i said, I suffer from depression, panic/anxiety and obsessive compulsive behavior (i am not the mess that i sound like) but i still see the good in the world and have been close to the darkside (had to quit a job after 8 yrs because of it) but will never go there as i am in control of myself. I may not be able to control what goes on outside of me and that is ok. I have had to come to peace with that and so will all.

Good luck Keith in finding an answer that rings true to you.

I also think that what David said made alot of sense.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

8) Its all dark
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

It's like Western medicine. Doesn't make the problem go away, just makes you feel better. Pointless. Go to China.

Huh?
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

There is no insanity really, matter of fact everything is insanity. ok that was bad. hmmm, maybe its saying that after you listen to dsotm, you think "wow, thats insane" but when you hear that your like "oh, thats normal human life" plus, sounds to me like he says in the moon, but lets not discuss that
As Jonathan Price said in Tomorow never dies "the difference between insanity and genius is only measured by Sucess" ;).
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Unrelated, can i just say Die Another Day was crap.

In order to return to the topic what does everyone here actually think the dark side of the moon is supposed to represent? This may help us figure it out.

I reckon it just means the great unknown, you think you can see it, but in reality you can't see it because you don't know what you're looking for, you may only think you can.

Or something like that anyway. The afterlife perhaps. This would support my second theory of sugar coating a truth (by saying there's a heaven) when many of us don't truly beleive it. This also supports great gig in the sky being on the album because a fear of death comes out of worrying about the afterlife. Especially if you don't beleive in any religion so you give yourself fake beleif in order to make the prospect of dying less frightening.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i think dsotm is the story of one persons life, starting with breathing, the great gig in the sky (best years of your life) money (getting a job) us and them (marriage, etc) and finally, onto brain damage/eclipse where everything is revealed and you finally die. brain damage is a highly underrated song by many people and is not discussed enough. its easily my favorite song on dsotm, i love it
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

David Smith wrote:what does everyone here actually think the dark side of the moon is supposed to represent?
What we're afraid of. The unknown, the ambiguous, the omnipresent... stuff.
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

DSOTM

Post by grateful pink »

Gee, i guess that is sure was off topic. I think that the DSOTM is just that--the dark :evil: side of lunacy (the moon) and the album is just a representation of a life from beginning to end that starts out breathing, goes through life and realizes the utter darkness and lunacy in this world and it all ends at the darkside of the moon. The great gig in the sky Does represent the afterlife and seems to poke fun at it.

I also agree with Feeling Very Pink that the Darkside is the unknown, our fears and our ambiguous feelings toward such things.

I think that i agree with some of this but I find more dark than light in life (it could be the meds but so what--ignorance is bliss!). :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

To me, the dark side of the moon represents nothing.

There IS no dark side of the moon, it is all dark. We are fooled and tempted into a system - economic syetem for example - because of the "light" that eminates from it - like moths attracted to lights! But the fact is, we are been fooled. There is no darkside to separate from the light side. It is all dark. It is a joke. I dont think that line at the end of the album is meaningless or even funny in the slightest. I think it just about sums up the album. The pressures of life are for no real gain. We are been attracted - in our lunar cycle - to the wrong things. The sun is all we need... each other. :)
mosespa

Re: DSotM

Post by mosespa »

kjnpf wrote:There's no dark side of the moon really... as a matter of fact, it's all dark!

Discuss.

EMI doorman Jerry Driscoll looked at the card with the question "What do you think about the dark side of the moon?" (or something similar) and felt the need to point out the fact that the moon does not generate any light of it's own, and therefore cannot really have a dark SIDE.

It's ALL dark, you see.

Off on a tangent, I've recently come to the realization that the phrase "All things must pass" (a great album, I'm told) is totally taken all wrong.

People think of this phrase when they are in the midst of despair and comfort themselves by emphasizing the "pass," as in pass over.

I think that the true (there's that word again) meaning of the phrase indicates that between the beginning of the universe and the end of the universe, all things that can happen MUST happen. Emphasis on the "all" and "must."

Children must be born dead while others are born alive.

Some people must die young while others live to ripe old ages.

There must be light...there must also be darkness.

A child must be the Dali Lama.

A woman must be a world leader.

A human must burst into flame for no apparent reason.

I think you get the picture although the examples are pretty weak, I feel.

Anyone want to comment on this?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

What did i say?

"And i'm guessing Mosepspa has something interesting to say..." and what do you know, i was right.