Floyd references in Q / Mojo electro-pop edition

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Floyd references in Q / Mojo electro-pop edition

Post by simpledumbpilot »

I've been reading the Q / Mojo electro-pop special edition over the last couple of days and the thing is littered with references to Floyd. Quite a few bands have name-checked them so far and there are plenty of journalistic references. The best one so far has been the one in the Tears For Fears section which states...

''They followed the template of post-Syd Barrett Pink Floyd in that they had the requisite Roger Waters figure in ''the shouty one'' (Orzabal) who wrote the songs but couldn't really sing, and the gorgeous David Gilmour one (Smith) with the pure voice who wrote far less but was seen as the groups public face''

Its an interesting read for both Floyd fans and electro-pop fans, theres things I disagree with of course (Waters cant sing :shock: ) but its very interesting to hear from the bands themselves the impact Floyd had on them, well worth a read. I bought the NME A To Z of New Romantics edition today too, looking forward to that after finishing this one.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Re: Floyd references in Q / Mojo electro-pop edition

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Anybody who says Roland Orzabal can't sing must be deaf, the man's got one of the greatest and most powerful voices ever in rock - not comparable to ol' Rog at all! :shock:

But I do hear some cross-influencing going on. Listen to "Songs from the Big Chair", "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Seeds of Love" (if the middle part of "Year of the Knife" isn't a nod to PF then I don't know what is) in a row and see what I mean...