final dsotm cover

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

crofloyd wrote:It would have been better if they modernised an old DSOTM cover, like put some LED lights (like on PULSE) or things like that.
Good idea! Yes, completely post-waters ‘floyd’-ize it with meaningless and pretentious ‘symbolism’ and gimmicks.
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

What the hell :?:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

ok, so you dont like post waters floyd, we can all see that, but the vibe im getting is that all your anger regarding AMLOR and TDB is now being taken out on the artwork, which is actually pretty cool, better than the final cut, which is the 2nd worst pink floyd cover. TDB is a really cool cover, especially with the way it can either be one or two faces. i also like the AMLOR artwork. im not saying i hate the final cut artwork, but it is somewhat bland and not very exciting
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Who really cares about artwork and such? Did you buy an album to listen to music or to look at pictures in a CD booklet?

An album cover and lyric sheet should suffice IMO.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Tommy wrote:ok, so you dont like post waters floyd, we can all see that, but the vibe im getting is that all your anger regarding AMLOR and TDB is now being taken out on the artwork, which is actually pretty cool, better than the final cut, which is the 2nd worst pink floyd cover. TDB is a really cool cover, especially with the way it can either be one or two faces. i also like the AMLOR artwork. im not saying i hate the final cut artwork, but it is somewhat bland and not very exciting
I really like the final cut artwork. Because it was so minimal and tasteful it hasn't dated like MLOR and TDB have. I'd describe TFC artwork as 'timeless', I'd say the same about the original DSOTM cover. I'd describe this new one as 'dog-dirt'.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Who really cares about artwork and such?
Well, probably everyone who posted on this thread... I only meant the front cover to begin with, but...

That's why I voted for Wish You Were Here - not only is it a great cover, it's also got great continuity and has a big impact on me when I look at it - the LP, I mean, not the CD.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Feeling Very Pink wrote:
Real Pink in the Inside wrote:Who really cares about artwork and such?
Well, probably everyone who posted on this thread... I only meant the front cover to begin with, but...
Hey, I also said "An album cover and lyric sheet should suffice IMO"

Obviously album covers are a tad more important than the artwork inside a CD booklet, which is what I was referring to when I asked, "Who cares about artwork...?

Album covers help you quickly recognize a work when you see a bunch of albums scattered around the place...

I suppose I'm just trying to say that some people act like the artwork is actually a part of the musical piece. That's not the case...Some people act like it's more important than it really is.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I suppose I'm just trying to say that some people act like the artwork is actually a part of the musical piece. That's not the case...Some people act like it's more important than it really is.
Is that your final answer? Surely the artwork is a part of the final package and is not there just a symbol to represent a work? Surely it is there to add something - perhaps in a small quantity - to the overall package. It is not just for fun.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I suppose the primary function of artwork is to make the lyric sheet not appear so "bla." From a business standpoint, I can understand trying to make a lyric sheet look "nice" or "deep" when the lyrics are indeed crap. You want your product to sell and you'll do whatever it takes for it to sell. I think the artwork can cloud one's evaluation of the lyrics, which tend to take a backseat on the page to the artwork with most individuals.

Sure, artwork is another part of the product, but it's far from being on par with the actual content of the album it is attached to.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

this new one sucks, i didnt like the older newer one, and this one is muchhhhhhhhh worse. its gonna be the worst PF cover easily, hands down
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Tommy wrote:its gonna be the worst PF cover easily, hands down
You saying it is not as good as Atom Heart Mother? I love cows but I like prisms better! Even if they are stained glass ones with trees and stuff outside. :lol:
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

i like the Atom Heart Mother cover very much, i think it is very cool and very simple
mmszpara
Embryo
Embryo

30th aniv cover

Post by mmszpara »

how can you improve on a classic. leave it alone!!! :) :)
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

Real Pink in the Inside wrote:I suppose the primary function of artwork is to make the lyric sheet not appear so "bla." From a business standpoint, I can understand trying to make a lyric sheet look "nice" or "deep" when the lyrics are indeed crap. You want your product to sell and you'll do whatever it takes for it to sell. I think the artwork can cloud one's evaluation of the lyrics, which tend to take a backseat on the page to the artwork with most individuals.

Sure, artwork is another part of the product, but it's far from being on par with the actual content of the album it is attached to.
I reckon the artwork is a really important to record companies these days. Lots of images and general bumf and things will make it appear as though consumers get their money’s worth so they won’t just go and steal the mp3s from the internet
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

The front covers of Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals make me feel sexy and powerful and I think that's part of what rock 'n' roll is about. Oh, and the music too, of course. 8) :oops: :wink: