Why are these people not visiting the forum anymore....

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Why are these people not visiting the forum anymore....

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

The last few years on the forum have been quite slow, in my opinion. Things sort of peaked around the time of Live 8 and have been on a downward spiral ever since. I've noticed that most of the long-time members' posts are made in the Music, General Discussion, and Fun and Games forums. I know that, personally, I ran out of things to say about Pink Floyd a long time ago. I don't think I've even listened to them in the last two years. Why do I keep coming back? The charming personalities, of course. Mostly for Angry Julian, though.

There is only so much trivial shit we can discuss about Pink Floyd. I guess that's why we have people like mosespa and Idisaffect to spice things up once in a while.

Maybe another Slayer war would bring some life into the forum?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Nah...I have a little more respect for Slayer than I used to.

I'd have to sit it out...and who's going to actually state that "metal=ignorance" with as straight of a face as I did? :lol:
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Yeah...probably not such a good idea.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I'm slightly more sympathetic to Slayer than I was a few years ago, purely because I like Dave Lombardo's work with Fantômas.

That said, I hate Slayer.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I imagine the forum will pick up when Roger Waters goes on his Wall tour later on this year hopefully.
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

Keith Jordan wrote:These people have over 200+ posts and haven't signed in to their forum accounts for over 12 months!
Why are they not visiting????

madjedi
Im sure we all know by now that I am madjedi and the various other incarnations of the past... surprised to see me on the list - I thought that account was banned.
Ive been busy with my business, and not too much Floyd news to talk about, other then the latest rererererererererererelease or whos gonna die next not had too much reason to post often, but I do visit a few times per week just dont post much.

Wheres Jambo? Havent seen him in some time.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

^^ Looks like The Force is still with us! :D
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

maybe they were bullied off the forum
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

No one can be bullied off a forum really, can they? That would be like typing yourself to death if you were suicidal.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I don't think that it's possible. Others, however, seem to believe that people are so weak and fragile as to be utterly terrified at the appearance of words on a screen. They also believe that these words affect the total quality of people's lives in a negative fashion.

These same people usually also espouse the belief that people are incapable of simply skipping over something that they'd rather not read. That the appearance of these words somehow compels one to read them whether they want to or not.

The people who hold these beliefs also call themselves "humanists" and "friends of humanity."

Go figure.

I know that I wouldn't consider anyone who considered me weak willed and incapable of controlling my own eyeballs a friend of mine.

Maybe it's just me...........
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i see you have already responded mosespa, whilst i was busy writing my response so my response isnt intended to rebut what you have said directly - although i suppose it does in a way.

some people take things said on forums very much to heart - i know they shouldnt care what someone they have never met thinks but they do. eventually they just cant take it anymore and just go away. i am sure that most of the time the efffect was quite unintended.

when tone of voice and lack of personal knowledge of the person they are locking horns with on the forum is missing it is very easy to start taking things personally when the other person is just joking around. then one party starts attacking the other due to the percieved personal attack and it becomes an all out war.

sometimes people here make negative comments about others in a humourous way and the other person doesnt see the joke. sometimes rather than respond they just stop visiting.

i think we are all guilty of the occasionally insensitive comment - i know i have done it myself just to make an amusing jest when i should have considered the impact on the person who was the butt of the joke.

i guess we all have to live and learn.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

oz1701 wrote:1. my response isnt intended to rebut what you have said directly - although i suppose it does in a way.

2. when tone of voice and lack of personal knowledge of the person they are locking horns with on the forum is missing it is very easy to start taking things personally when the other person is just joking around. then one party starts attacking the other due to the percieved personal attack and it becomes an all out war.

3. i think we are all guilty of the occasionally insensitive comment - i know i have done it myself just to make an amusing jest when i should have considered the impact on the person who was the butt of the joke.

4. i guess we all have to live and learn.
1. Not necessarily...but I still think it was cool of you to put this part in. :)

2. Exactly. I've said this many times, myself.

3. But, if we continually consider the impact of what we are about to say, then we will continually be second guessing ourselves and life at the forum will degenerate into a sort of neurotic paranoia that anything that's about to be said will be taken wrong...which, I have to say, seems to be what these people want.

Perhaps they want to see this forum become a reflection of their own minds? *shrug*

I've had people that I wasn't even directing my comments at take extreme offense at what I had said.

Fuck 'em, I say. If they're going to be pussies, then let 'em run.

4. True enough...but that should also apply to the people being discussed, no?
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

well you certainly have a point there Mosespa - i have enough trouble at work (where my life has degenerated into a sort of neurotic paranoia that anything that's about to be said will be taken wrong...which, I have to say, seems to be what these people want.)

i do think there has to be some middle ground where we consider the impact of what we want to say and whether it is worth it for the point we are making. certainly living and learning is something we all have to do no matter how old we are.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

oz1701 wrote: certainly living and learning is something we all have to do no matter how old we are.
And yet, there are people (both at this forum and in other places) who seem to manage to avoid doing that very thing. *shrug*
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

when I started on internet forums (this was my first one) I didnt know how to take many peoples posts as what they type and how it was read may not have always been what was intended to be inferred from the comments.
Its tough for many Im sure, not being able to see actual human reaction and expressions when reading posts. Many might take things out of context based on life experiences or what they read into the post.

Peoples first experience with the world of forums and the variety of styles, cultures and opinions can be shocking to many who have never seen such things.

I do think religion, politics and the such should be mostly avoided as those seem to be fueling points to a good deal of heated debates.

Just my 2 pennies. Im going back to the lab and cutting more meteorites (whilst listening to the Floyd)