Jazz

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Jazz

Post by apocalypse »

Was just wondering if there are any one else out there that likes jazz. I play sax myself and enjoy jazz.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

when not listening to all my Floydboots jazz is usually what I listen to
Toronto has a great jazz station, JazzFM, I think broadcast from Ryerson University and run by Ross Porter, formerly host of the CBC's jazz program
http://www.jazz.fm/component/option,com ... /Itemid,1/
I like Bird and Diz and their disciples Miles Trane Mingus and Monk
and those guys respective disciples, especially Kieth Jarret
also Louis Armstrong's 1920s work, any and all Billie Holiday, and Duke Ellington
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

same as myself, i would add brubeck, stan getz, coleman hawkins, ben webster to that list too and others i cant think of at the moment
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I like Jazz Ciggies .... does that count ? :wink:
The Gil
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gil »

I'm a big Jazz-head, when not listening to Floyd!

I just love the slow 'Dinner Jazz' genre! I particularly like Chet Baker - I think he's probably my favourite, but anything is good.

I used to listen to JazzFM until it went over to the other side and started to play Pop!
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I love jazz, though my tastes tend to run in the fusion and free jazz directions...I love latter day Coltrane, as well as Alice Coltrane's works, Pharoah Sanders (Karma is absolutely transcendental), Sun Ra (The Magic City is probably my favourite), Miles Davis (love his fusion stuff but his blues and cool jazz is great too--In A Silent Way and Kind of Blue are probably my favourites), Chick Corea (especially his 70's fusion stuff), Herbie Hancock, Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin. I like be-bop and west coast jazz too though. Dave Brubeck is a favourite (had the good fortune to see him live a number of years ago). Stan Kenton has done some amazing stuff for big band as well. Ah, the list goes on. Yep, I love jazz. 8)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I love Jazz! Miles Davis all the way...

I play Free-form Jazz recorder!
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

I love jazz! Metheney, Pastorius, Weather Report, Monk, Louie Armstrong, Dizzie Gillespie etc... all awesome!
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

It's ok to listen to when trying to relax

Can't say i have any favourite artists as i havn't had much of an interest in it before
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

The Bad Plus :smt023 Power piano trio. Really great band with an anarchic attitude. Check these gems http://www.thebadplus.com/
They also varied Nirvana?s "Smell Like Teen Spirit" , it?s pure milk and honney :lol:
Give a listen :wink:
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

Jazz can be very relaxing and if you mix it with funky rock?n roll, like Steely Dan does, it can be real nice. :)

Homepage http://www.steelydan.com/
Some new songs from Donald Fagen http://212.238.227.178:8080/SteelyDanDa ... derBy=#top
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Well, I listen a lot to Weather Report at the moment. I don't think it can get much better than that!
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

olzen wrote:Well, I listen a lot to Weather Report at the moment. I don't think it can get much better than that!
Finnaly, I found another Weather Report listener.

And tommorrow will be clear skies.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Indeed you did! I have to admit I don't own any studio albums. My dad does have the 1982-album titled "Weather Report", but otherwise, I'm just into bootleg recordings. By all means look for their gig at Montreux Jazz Festival 1976. It's a fantastic concert, and on DVD even.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

I've begun to listen to Fusion Jazz, like Weather Report and Mahavishny Orchestra. Love them, amen.