Worst Guitar Solos

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Worst Guitar Solos

Post by moom »

I really love Richards' solo in I'm A king Bee, but when I do it, it's always more fun to me.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:I really love Richards' solo in I'm A king Bee, but when I do it, it's always more fun to me.
Things are always more fun when you do them by yourself and... No that's not true at all actually :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

David Smith wrote:
moom wrote:I really love Richards' solo in I'm A king Bee, but when I do it, it's always more fun to me.
Things are always more fun when you do them by yourself and... No that's not true at all actually :lol:
:lol:

He only hits strings at all the same frets. On record, it sounds ace, but live it's boring.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

As this thread seems to have morphed in best and worst Pink Floyd solos ....

Best:
Difficult to be entirely impartial about this one; music is so often tied up with memories of how you feel at the time and other such intangibles. However (didn't you just know there was going to be an 'however' then), I have always loved the version of the solo at the end of Another Brick Pt II that's on 'Is There Anybody Out There' - you know, the one where David goes all 'Carlos Santana' on us? I hear that and I'm 17 again, 20 rows back watching The Wall at Earls Court and seeing DG at the top of the Wall playing that divine extended solo and feeling fear in the pit of my stomach that I would never hear it played that way again. I was SO pleased when 'Is There Anybody Out There' was released.

Worst:
Virtually anything from 'Pros and Cons'. I respect the guitarist for his other work but the solos on 'Pros and Cons' were weak, half-hearted and instantly forgetable. There are non-Floydian solos I dislike more on purely musical grounds but I can't forgive the shoddy compositions that for me marred what I might otherwise have regarded, to all intents and purposes, as a Pink Floyd album.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Beowulf wrote:Worst:
Virtually anything from 'Pros and Cons'.
I agree on that. I believe "Pros And Cons" would have been a much better album if Roger had chosen another guitarist to do the solos, mostly because the music is actually very good but the whole thing was spoiled with weak arrangements. I like Eric Clapton, but I regard his work on "Pros And Cons" as probably the weakest in his career. It's all just half-baked improvisation and it really sticks out of the music in the way no one would have wanted. Except Roger Waters, apparently.

As for Pink Floyd, it's "Coming Back To Life" for me. There is no real thought and no real emotion in that one and it sounds to me like Gilmour recorded it from just one shot and left it that way, probably because he had no idea what to do with it. I may be wrong, but that's the way that solo makes me feel.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

Hudini wrote:
Virtually anything from 'Pros and Cons'.
I agree on that. I believe "Pros And Cons" would have been a much better album if Roger had chosen another guitarist to do the solos, mostly because the music is actually very good but the whole thing was spoiled with weak arrangements. I like Eric Clapton, but I regard his work on "Pros And Cons" as probably the weakest in his career. It's all just half-baked improvisation and it really sticks out of the music in the way no one would have wanted. Except Roger Waters, apparently.

As for Pink Floyd, it's "Coming Back To Life" for me. There is no real thought and no real emotion in that one and it sounds to me like Gilmour recorded it from just one shot and left it that way, probably because he had no idea what to do with it. I may be wrong, but that's the way that solo makes me feel.
Oh, and I've always really liked the solo in 'have A Cigar'. It's such a shame that it fades out so soon ...
jschexna
Axe
Axe

Post by jschexna »

mosespa wrote:
quicksilver wrote:Love Hurts by Nazareth! 2 notes at the most!
Four, actually. :lol: :lol:

Worst guitar solo?

ANYTHING by CC Deville.

ANYTHING.

CC Deville is an joke..........and Slash is right there with him.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

wanker
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Boom, headshot!

The solo on Paranoid Android by Radiohead is shocking. Given that the song is apparently the 'Bohemian Rhapsody of the '90s' the solo sucks balls.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Virtually anything from 'Pros and Cons'. I respect the guitarist for his other work but the solos on 'Pros and Cons' were weak, half-hearted and instantly forgetable. There are non-Floydian solos I dislike more on purely musical grounds but I can't forgive the shoddy compositions that for me marred what I might otherwise have regarded, to all intents and purposes, as a Pink Floyd album.
:shock:
You´re joking right?

Worst solo ever: Sweet Child o' Mine by fucking GN´R.

Best solo ever: The Prophet´s Song by Brian May.
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

thefinalcut wrote:
:shock:
You´re joking right?
Not in the slightest; which particular bit is it that you're having 'difficulty' with?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

PooF wrote:
wanker
Here's my XXXMas gifts to ya mofo
http://www.zazzle.com/masturbation+gifts
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

Jimmy Page plays a shocker in the breakdown of Heartbreaker from LZII.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Lil Wayne LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g762REJWcg

the sad thing is people are cheering his solo lmao