Albums/artists that a Floyd fan might find interesting?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Albums/artists that a Floyd fan might find interesting?

Post by Heikki »

Do you have any suggestions? Let's try to name some that aren't household names!

I'd recommend:
Alice's Il Sole Nella Pioggia, Charade, and Mezzogiorno Sulle Alpi (nice Italian singer, interesting instrumentations)
Roy Harper's Stormcock, and Unknown Soldier (the latter has Gilmour on some tracks)
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

Anything from a good Progressive rock! I'm knowing Yes now, and i'm currently downloading their ''close to the edge''. --I guess i'm starting to love another band :roll: :roll: :roll: 8) --
Tinkerbell
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tinkerbell »

I think it depends on what era of the Floyd you like best.

I'm very miscellaneous (ie, indecisive).
Try Yes, Rush, ELP, Marillion<--though I don't like 'em.

I dunno if the whole 'bands a Floydian would like' works, coz all the recomendations I've goten are usually Pink Floyd wannabes, and they're very uninteresting.

Want some out of the ordinary stuff? Try Bob Geldof :lol: ....(mind, I like the Boomtown Rats...I even made me a CD today)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

An album that always seems to turn up in thrift stores / charity shops is Ananta's ''Night and Daydream''. Its an odd collection of songs but the coda to the title track tends to take the ending of ''Welcome to the Machine'' one step further. Certain songs have a kind of Alan Parsons appeal, whilst others are almost comparable to nobody (in fact as far as I know they are as I cant think of anyone!). Try it, you might like it, and you can probably get it for 50p!!

With regards to Tinkerbells Marillion point, in spite of having Floyd albums on the sleeves of their first 2 albums they were more comparable to Gabriel era Genesis rather than Floyd, in fact they were almost a carbon copy with ''Script..'' being a wannabe of ''Danicing With The Moonlit Knight'', hell, they even recorded a cover of ''I Know What I Like'' on there first Demo tape with Fish! Still great stuff tho!
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

Tool!
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

The Rolling Stones
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

3eb
Ridan
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Ridan »

I'd say Radiohead without thinking. :)
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I still say,if you like Pink Floyd,you should check out Mike Oldfield!! :lol:
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Ozric Tentacles
Mansun (especially the "Six" album)
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

If you like More and Obscured by clouds you might like Nick Drake, it's not the same style but it has the same "quietness" in some ways.
Operation Mindcrime by Queensryche is being called the "metal version of The Wall". I don't quite agree but it is nice, if you like the louder side of Floyd.
An other favorite of mine is Tortoise - Millions now living will never die. It has a 20 minute instrumental opening track (need I say more). But it's deafinately not a Floyd-copy.
I recently downloaded 2 songs of Alice (Per Elisa and Il vento soltanto, don't know on which albums they appear). Don't like Per Elisa too much but the latter is a nice quiet/spherical song but still not completely my cup of tea.
Heikki
Blade
Blade

Post by Heikki »

rosm wrote:I recently downloaded 2 songs of Alice (Per Elisa and Il vento soltanto, don't know on which albums they appear). Don't like Per Elisa too much but the latter is a nice quiet/spherical song but still not completely my cup of tea.
Per Elisa is probably from Alice's 1981 unnamed album, sometimes referred to as Per Elisa. Il Vento Soltanto is from Exit (1998), an album that I found a bit disappointing.
Here's some brief notes about Alice's career:
She released her 1st single in 1972 as a teenager. Her albums up until Park Hotel (1986) were quite poppy. With Park Hotel (where both Tony Levin & Phil Manzanera play) began Alice's collaboration with producer Francesco Messina, and her albums got (at least IMO) nore interesting. Melodie Passagere (1988) has Alice singing songs by Ravel, Gabriel Faure, and Erik Satie, accompanied by just piano.
The trio of Il Sole Nella Pioggia (1989), Mezzogiorno Sulle Alpi (1992), and Charade (1995) saw her mixing very different influences into her music. The results are ...interesting. The instrumentation has to be heard to believe: programmed drums, accordion, piano, violins, stick (Trey Gunn plays on one album), manic guitar solos... Sounds unbelieveable, but it works!
Exit saw Alice slipping towards pop, but both God Is My D.J. (a theme album built around religious music old and new), and Personal Jukebox are a step to right direction.

I guess I shouldn't be raving and drooling like this, but IMO Alice is a fine artist who deserves a bit more recognition.
If someone wants to give her a try, let me know (privately) and I'll send you a 2 or 3 cd compilation.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

Air are Floyd influanced - a bit obviously though in places, Kelly watch the stars has a similar backing to the intro of Time and #1 is very Astrominy Domine
rosm wrote:If you like More and Obscured by clouds you might like Nick Drake, it's not the same style but it has the same "quietness" in some ways.
I'd recomend River man - has similar musical vibes to If

There's a very good essay on Nick by Ian MacDonald (last essay in his book The Peoples Music - origanally published in Mojo) a very inspiring/perseptive piece on his music, life and why he is so important.
SomeGhostsStepOut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SomeGhostsStepOut »

Prkl wrote:Ozric Tentacles
They rule! 8)
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

rollinder wrote:...I'd recomend River man - has similar musical vibes to If ...

Even though I am a huge Pink Floyd fan I think River Man by Nick Drake is nicer than If. Brad Mehldau made a brilliant instrumental jazztrio cover of River Man and I only heard Nick's version after I had heard Brad's version. When the strings came in they really made me cry, so beautiful...
Also like Air a lot nice and sweet and cheesy in a positive way.

I also would like to recommend Taxi to the ocean, a dutch local band. A mixture of dEUS, Motorpsycho, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and much more. You can hear some of their stuff on taxitotheocean.com if you click on the music button and if you click on the setlist button and scroll down a bit. The live recordings don't sound very very good, but hey, they copied it from my private bootleg cd's.