Albums/artists that a Floyd fan might find interesting?

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

rosm wrote:
rollinder wrote:...I'd recomend River man - has similar musical vibes to If ...

Even though I am a huge Pink Floyd fan I think River Man by Nick Drake is nicer than If. Brad Mehldau made a brilliant instrumental jazztrio cover of River Man and I only heard Nick's version after I had heard Brad's version. When the strings came in they really made me cry, so beautiful...
Also like Air a lot nice and sweet and cheesy in a positive way.
You're right - I heard If again yesterday it's starting to sound a bit self pitying :?

River man was my first it - a fragment heard late at night poor qaulity signol on a foreign station wasn't even sure if it was the right song/artsit but it just felt like it's description in Mojo.
I've heard it a bit too much over the last three years though (for a while - apart from Northern Sky, my first proper one - it was his only song I heard) - somebody quoted part pf the lyrics jokealy on another forum yesterday (re a member with that handle) and it hit me again.

:arrow: Nick Drake thread

slightly more on topic

Some of Syd's solo tracks are similar in feel - the mystcal tapping into nature, Jugband Blues has also been described in simialr terms to Pink Moon (the album) re the sparseness & purety/bleakness (depending on whos doing the describing - I don't feel that in the tracks I've heard - an dI've never felt it for Jugband either.) then theres the Joe Boyd connection...

re the rest of this thread, have the Alan Parsons Project been mentioned yet? - Old and Wise is a good song but I've heard others that sound like The Wall left overs all coldness and polish but without the heart, same goes for the "lunitic fringe I know your out there" song.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

as someone mentioned before, Marillion and Fish. The early Marillion stuff does sound a bit like Genesis, but especially Misplaced Childhood sounds quite Floyd with all the songs being connected.
And the last three Fish albums always remind me of stuff Roger Waters wrote, don?t know really why.
TheCentralScrutinizer
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer »

frank zappa
stefano_tag
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stefano_tag »

i suggest alan parsons project the first 3 / 4 albums
makram
Embryo
Embryo

Post by makram »

I think it's Deep purple and led zeppelin and eric clatpton tha u should love guys.
But certainly pink floyd is the best.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

Justin Timberlake( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Patabubu
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Patabubu »

If you're intersted in 1967-1975 aera, you should give a try to bands like The Soft Machine (Volume 1, 2 and Third), Can (Tago Mago and Future Days), Amon D??l II (Yeti)... not to say the rest is crap
white rabbit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by white rabbit »

TOOL definitely. you also may like ween, the dust brothers, and a perfect circle.