Nick Drake

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Nick Drake

Post by rollinder »

Starting this as I've decided he deserves his own thread - (and to stop me hijacking the what are you listening to thread again:) )

Rosm - will you mind if I repost your reply here? I'll respond to it soon, it'll just have to be the right time..."Just wait a while, for the right day"

(edit)meant to ask - was the documentary you saw a skin too few? if so I think it was a dutch film or co-production ( not sure if its even been shown here - or least not on terrestial tv - know it was definitly shown on Dutch tv & more recently at a UK film festival) Haven't seen it but heard good things about it at the time & wanted to, manged to find grab a copy on ebay today :o :)

have there been any more made about him? - the seller claims to have 2 documentaries but the only other one I've heard of is a long lost (then found again in the last 5 years or so) student film made cira mid 70s/80s by someone at either the university/college he went to or one local to where he lived - just remembered could part of bbc's rock shrines show - they had a segement on Nicks fans. (there was a feature in the Guardian about it, either the film make ror reported had to be told before meeting the fans at a graveside gathering that alot of them didn't/couldn't? talk - just like Nick :( :? )

(/edit)

an observation and a question before I go

While writing this & browsing elsewhere Sunrise by Pulp came on, just sudnely realised that this is musically influanced by him too, well in the opening parts at least.

I've also found a copy of the demos that Elton John did of a few of Nicks songs (when he was a sessioner and before Drake started recording himself) for sale - has anyone here heard them?
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

The 3 Nick Drake albums that came out during his lifetime are amongst the finest folk-rock albums. PINK MOON in particular is about as good as it gets, just listen to "Know", "Things Behind The Sun", and the title track. There's also the song "Northern Sky", from his second album BRYTER LAYTER, which is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. And the song "Black Eyed Dog", recorded just a few months before he died, which is one of the most disturbing songs ever written.
Anyone wanting to get an idea of Nick's music should probably get the best of compilation WAY TO BLUE. If you're anything like me, you'll soon wat to go out and buy everything else.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Sorry Rollinder, I can't remember the name of the documentary. And foolish as I am I haven't saved the video. I do remember it made a big impression on me and made me buy Bryter Later.
Funny that when you talk to people with similar taste in music you always come up with different songs as "the best Nick Drake song ever". I like the lyrics of "Know" but I don't really like the song as a whole. I prefer Northern Sky or Things behind the sun. Especially the last has brilliant guitar playing.
Useful Idiot
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Useful Idiot »

I've heard Pink Moon and Five Leaves Left. Pink Moon is one of my all-time favorite albums, I love it to death. Five Leaves Left isn't bad either, although not quite as good.
rollinder
Blade
Blade

Post by rollinder »

I've just found out via NME that A skin too few was a Dutch documetary & there was a lack of UK media interest when it was made but it wa shown at the London Film festival this year.

Nick Drake movie may never be released
Nick Drake documentary to be screened at London Film Festival

I've also just found out there was another documentary, "A Stranger Among Us - Searching For Nick Drake" that was shown on BBC2 in '99 (part of the series Picture This). Don't know how I missed this - I was aware of him at the time but diidn't know that much/hadn't heard anything. The name seems vaguely familar - maybe I'll find it one day amongst various programes taped that I've never had a chance to play back... and (proof that all things are connected :o) he's an influance on Damon Albarn and Kate Bush (it says here)
http://www.nme.com/news/914.htm