This sounds a bit like a Pink Floyd song...

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Chaim
Embryo
Embryo

This sounds a bit like a Pink Floyd song...

Post by Chaim »

I hear this song by the Finnish band Nightwish every day on the radio. There's a section (the best part of the song IMO) that reminds me of an early Pink Floyd song. I'm not a Nightwish fan, but I think in this case their song is better than the Pink Floyd song. :D

Here's the song, does it remind you of a certain Pink Floyd track?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnHMp8WIg1Q
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: This sounds a bit like a Pink Floyd song...

Post by twcc »

Nope, ^^^ a rather clever technique to increase the number of YouTube hits by suggesting a link to Pink Floyd

](*,)
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

This song has nothing to do with the great and mighty Pink Floyd. [-X
Chaim
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chaim »

twcc wrote:Nope, ^^^ a rather clever technique to increase the number of YouTube hits by suggesting a link to Pink Floyd

](*,)
Ok.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Chaim wrote:Here's the song, does it remind you of a certain Pink Floyd track?...
Ok, which Pink Floyd track is it? :smt102
Chaim
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chaim »

jtull wrote:
Chaim wrote:Here's the song, does it remind you of a certain Pink Floyd track?...
Ok, which Pink Floyd track is it? :smt102
Well, IMO the pre-chorus (or whatever it is) was taken from Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk "("Music seems to...").

I still have no idea why I would want to increase "YouTube hits" for a band I don't care for and have never listened to. And if I wanted YouTube hits from people on this forum, I think it would be more clever to say "check out this song".

I've been a Pink Floyd fan since my teens, so there was no intention to bash Pink Floyd. I posted this in the general music discussion area anyway, so I don't feel like I'm offending something sacred here. I'm a huge Roger fan, but I can say that I have never liked TUTSAW and I find it funny that the only bit I like in the Nightwish song was (IMHO) taken from a Pink Floyd song I don't like.

Having said all that I realize now that the title of this thread is absolutely terrible and magnificently misleading. The style of the Nightwish song is nothing like Pink Floyd. Just a tiny part of it sounds like a certain Floyd track to me - in terms of chords and vocal line. So a more accurate title would be: "A tiny part of this song sounds a bit like a tiny part of a certain Pink Floyd song in terms of chords and melody line."
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Chaim wrote:I still have no idea why I would want to increase "YouTube hits" for a band I don't care for and have never listened to.
I believe Nightwish are in no need of clickbaiting, since they're pretty big in their own league (symphonic metal). In fact, they may even be the biggest band of the genre.

However, they are also known for being at least partially influenced by Pink Floyd - if nothing else, a version of 'High Hopes' has been a part of their live repertoir for years. But don't click if you don't want to increase anyone's number of YT clicks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg88Mw5xJw
Chaim
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Chaim »

Hudini wrote:
Chaim wrote:I still have no idea why I would want to increase "YouTube hits" for a band I don't care for and have never listened to.
I believe Nightwish are in no need of clickbaiting, since they're pretty big in their own league (symphonic metal). In fact, they may even be the biggest band of the genre.

However, they are also known for being at least partially influenced by Pink Floyd - if nothing else, a version of 'High Hopes' has been a part of their live repertoir for years. But don't click if you don't want to increase anyone's number of YT clicks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg88Mw5xJw
I was referring to Twcc's comment about me being after YouTube hits for Nightwish. I know the band well, because I'm from Finland too. I have nothing against them, but I don't listen to them either. I liked Tarja Turunen singing in classical style, but it's not my kind of music. And, yes, they sure are in no need of clickbaiting!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Chaim wrote:I was referring to Twcc's comment about me being after YouTube hits for Nightwish.
I know you were, it just might have appeared I was correcting because of the way I quoted you. My bad, sorry.

I'm not really listening to Nightwish either although I've been aware of them since the late 1990s, in fact I got their first album as a present when it came out but I lost interest somewhere along the way. They have always been pretty big in Europe though (I'm from Serbia) but I somehow get an impression people in the UK and the USA don't know much about them. Which might be a small shame; even though I'm not really a fan of theirs I still think they do deserve recognition for what they do and they are most definitely far from being desperate for YT clicks.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Florence and the machine have a new song called "Wish That You Were Here".
Swear down!

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/95961