Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Post by nosaj »

Yes, it may be Mirror Man that I was reading about...lengthy jams sound interesting.
Andreysonj
Axe
Axe

Post by Andreysonj »

It's the kind of album that you love or hate.

And I love it.
czgibson
Blade
Blade

Post by czgibson »

I have loved Trout Mask Replica for many years, and it is one of the most extraordinary things I've ever heard. I love the idea of an artist who looked at the way rock music was made and apparently just rejected all of it and said "No! I'm going to do it my way."

It took me about six months to get it, though. The album sat on the shelf after a few listens. Later, at the exact point when the Captain says: "That's right, the Mascara Snake, fast and bulbous - tight also", I was converted. I don't really know what that phrase means, but somehow it explained everything.
nosaj wrote:What Captain Beefheart album should I get next?
Get his first album, Safe As Milk. It's very different from Trout Mask Replica, but it's another classic. It has a few dirty blues tunes like 'Plastic Factory' and 'Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do' and the weirdness of tracks like 'Abba Zabba' and the mighty 'Electricity'.

I think all the Beefheart albums are worth hearing apart from Unconditionally Guaranteed and Bluejeans And Moonbeams. Some people defend those two, but I'd definitely avoid them until you've heard the others.
scott tenorman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by scott tenorman »

czgibson wrote:
nosaj wrote:What Captain Beefheart album should I get next?
Get his first album, Safe As Milk. It's very different from Trout Mask Replica, but it's another classic. It has a few dirty blues tunes like 'Plastic Factory' and 'Sure 'Nuff 'N Yes I Do' and the weirdness of tracks like 'Abba Zabba' and the mighty 'Electricity'.

I think all the Beefheart albums are worth hearing apart from Unconditionally Guaranteed and Bluejeans And Moonbeams. Some people defend those two, but I'd definitely avoid them until you've heard the others.
+1.

If you want more Trout Mask listen to Lick My Decals Off, Baby. Great stuff too. But Safe As Milk kicks asses. IMO these are his 3 very best albums.

Trout Mask can my favourite album of all time, depending on the day. 8)
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

Clear Spot is a pretty fine album too. After the weirdness of Trout Mask & Lick My Decals Off, it's a rather more conventional sounding album - but still really good.

The 'official' 2nd album (Strictly Personal) is really uneven - some great long jams ruined by gimmicky effects added in post production by management... a lot of the tunes were put out later as the 'mirror man sessions' without the distracting effects. Still, SOME of that second album is great.. Ah Feel Like Acid especially.
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

It's one of those sacred cows of rock music, innit?

I used to argue the toss about it being the greatest album ever but many years down the line I realise that the freakiest and most far out does not equal the greatest , and I can't be bothered with it.
What bugs me listening to it now is the hyperactivity of the time changes, like musical ADHD. Only Moonlight On Vermont and a part of Veteran's Day Poppy let the band settle and lay down any kind of groove, which was one of their strengths. Listen to Mirror Man or Strictly Personal and you'll see what they can do.
There's plenty of weirdness on those albums and on Safe As Milk, and some kickin' rockers, and a good dollop of free jazz and delta blues. I love his chainsaw vocals and he blew a mean harp. Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot were really great albums, way better than this. Trout Mask just sounds like a mess.
Also, he put his band through hell making it. Read about it if you like, but it's pretty disturbing stuff. No wonder the album sounds like it does.
It could be good for clearing out unwanted guests when the party's gone on too long and you just wanna go to bed :lol:
Could also be #1 on the list of "Albums That Your Girlfriend Will Ban You From Playing"....
I still love the cover though!