Krautrock

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Krautrock

Post by my breakfast. »

I'm not a massive fan of Amon Duul. Amon Duul II seems like the most musically capable members of that commune, with some 'heads' as well. Amon Duul seem to all be 'heads'. The music is primitive, recorded primitively and generally a bit directionless. I think most of it comes from a single jam session that some hippiemeister cut up and released over a bunch of albums.

As Massed Gadgets says, Phallus Dei is probably the best album. I like Yeti as well. Tanz Der Lemmings gets a bit dodgy, and Wolf City is weird and slightly militaristic sounding. After that they foray into 'cock rock' and jazz fusion circles.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

The production of Psychedelic Underground is essentially shit, tbh. Very muddy, not enjoyable listening at all. I haven't listened to their second; their first really didn't make me want to investigate further.

I'm not that big a fan of Phallus Dei either. It's a good album and a great debut, but Yeti seems just so much better. Tanz der Lemminge is high quality but seems over-polished (if you get what I mean).
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Massed Gadgets wrote:There was a fantasic synergy, heard best, I think on Tago Mago, especially the track Halleluhwah, which is a masterpiece.
PublicImage wrote:I feel like crying every time Halleluhwah starts to fade out! It always goes by so quickly.
While I do love can, I have NEVER been able to get into Halleluhwah!! It's so long and boring and repetitive. I'd rather listen to Pekin O or Aumgn, and even enjoy them more, no kidding, for me Halleluhwah is the skip track on Tago Mago. Sounds to me like those loooong Iron Butterfly-like psychedlic jams were nothing interesting really happens.

What's so great about it?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote: Halleluhwah sounds to me like those loooong Iron Butterfly-like psychedlic jams were nothing interesting really happens.

Funnily enough, I, too, do not really like repetitive stuff very much, HOWEVER! - ironically there are tunes that are just... impossible to let go, I want to have them on loop and most of them are looped because most of them are by a certain artist I really like... William Basinski. He just captures the essence, ambience, and my wild imagination (seriously wild) adds other bits itself. Or I just listen to it as it is.

As for Can, Augmn scared the shit out of me and that's why i love it - it's scary enough.

Still, I also relly-REALLY love mashing up Krautrock and... hey-ho!... hip-hop. Mind you, not mainstream hip-hop, but one some might call "dope" 8) Kind of hazey-gazey, but still with solid beats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3fRL5TZv4M
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

danielcaux wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote:There was a fantasic synergy, heard best, I think on Tago Mago, especially the track Halleluhwah, which is a masterpiece.
PublicImage wrote:I feel like crying every time Halleluhwah starts to fade out! It always goes by so quickly.
While I do love can, I have NEVER been able to get into Halleluhwah!! It's so long and boring and repetitive. I'd rather listen to Pekin O or Aumgn, and even enjoy them more, no kidding, for me Halleluhwah is the skip track on Tago Mago. Sounds to me like those loooong Iron Butterfly-like psychedlic jams were nothing interesting really happens.

That's the entire point of Halleluhwah! It's an repetitive, consuming blanket of sound which contain some Damo Suzuki's most spontaneous lyrics. I'd definitely admit that some of the middle sections are not so accessible, but personally I think every fan of Can ought to like the ending.

Aumgn is a whole different story. It's scary and discomforting, and I expect a nightmare for anyone who's taken LSD. I don't like it, but it provides a nice contrast after the ecstasy (to me at least) of the previous 'song'.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

rememberaday wrote: Aumgn is a whole different story. It's scary and discomforting, and I expect a nightmare for anyone who's taken LSD.
Or try it while walking in a dark lonely place with abandoned summerhouses AKA apocalyptic surrounding, like I did.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

It's funny because I really enjoy Aumgn and it even relaxes me! I love all the sonic textures floating around in stereo. It's feels kinda like a movie for your ears.

Halleluhwah, yeah the ending is quite good with Damo singing that vocal line. But at 18:32 minutes it could really benefit from generous use of the editing razor. I'm sure somewhere inside there's a pretty good 7 minute song.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

moom wrote:
rememberaday wrote: Aumgn is a whole different story. It's scary and discomforting, and I expect a nightmare for anyone who's taken LSD.
Or try it while walking in a dark lonely place with abandoned summerhouses AKA apocalyptic surrounding, like I did.
I don't know, I sometimes find such setting peaceful in a way, albeit they definitely can be scary! For example, the cover of Black Sabbath's debut is exactly where I want to be at times, at a desolate mill where a ghost-like figure can pop up. I guess it's just me.

I found Aumgn scary while I listened to it beside a swimming pool in a hotel late at night. For some reason I felt a bit compelled to drown myself. It is nothing compared to Beauborg by Vangelis, though.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I was wandering through Youtube and ran across Thirsty Moon, krautrock/jazz-rock with a little bit of psych thrown in. A very interesting listen.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

figured I would bump this back to the top for Eclips.
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Post by Eclips »

flashback wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:43 pm figured I would bump this back to the top for Eclips.
Thanks for those suggestions, I am really loving the Cosmic Jokers. I am into those jams in the vein of Ash Ra Tempel.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Ever been to http://www.progarchives.com/ ? There you can checkout about any band related to prog. All the krautrock bands and others. Thier full lineup of albums and reviews of most stuff. Oh by the way check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3gbMy ... rt_radio=1
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Post by Eclips »

flashback wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:05 pm Ever been to http://www.progarchives.com/ ? There you can checkout about any band related to prog. All the krautrock bands and others. Thier full lineup of albums and reviews of most stuff.
Yes! Really love that site. Solid database to prog music discovery.
flashback wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:05 pm Oh by the way check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r3gbMy ... rt_radio=1
And I never heard this band before. Yesterday I checked this song, and was really entranced by it. So I ran right to the whole album, the band's self titled one, and loved it!
The flow is great, you have those intense jazzy dynamics in the more energetic sections, and those more melodic, atmospheric and emotional folky pieces. Mesmerizing stuff, especially Blue Sunday Morning.

And then I check their third album, Four Letter Monday Afternoon, and was blown away again. Really intense stuff.

I listened to their debut but couldn't absorb it too much yet, I''ll give it more listens and also to their archival studio and live albums.

I'm really into this mix of folk, jazz and ethereal intercaleted with more visceral jams. Many thanks for pointing me this band!!
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Eclips
Axe
Axe

Post by Eclips »

Thanks man, great to discover this jazzy side of Guru Guru. I only knew mainly the spacey early era. The first track has great bass and a guitar crescendo. Loved the second track and also the more funky third one.
I'll check more of this era in youtube, since I am really into this jazzy kraut approach.

Plus, it's sad that most of their albums from Dance of the Flame (of the 1st track) onwards through this jazzy era aren't available on spotify.

I was reading a bit of this era while listening to these amazing songs and realised that in this era they became more of Mani's main vehicle for music, which is also great because he is so talented, and some of these songs feature Kraan members and other kraut ones, so this may explain the difference in licensing between the early albums and these other ones, and the absence of these jazzy ones from the streaming services.
Either way, fortuneately we can easily explore this great music on youtube.

By the way, I'm gonna check Thirsty Moon as well! And of course, more Guru Guru!