Hawkwind thread.

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
milesalbert1
Axe
Axe

Re: Hawkwind thread.

Post by milesalbert1 »

Levitation ,Church of Hawkwind ,Sonic attack and Choose your masques are amongst my most played albums/cds. I saw them on all these tours and they were well honed. The addition of Hue Lloyd and Harvey B made them a force to be reconed with. They was even selling out gigs in places like the Hammersmith Odeon.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

The new Nik Turner album is awesome! For a 73 year old, he still sure knows how to rock.

milesalbert1
Axe
Axe

Post by milesalbert1 »

Massed Gadgets wrote:The new Nik Turner album is awesome! For a 73 year old, he still sure knows how to rock.

He is more Hawkwind than Hawkwind.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Well, they ended up cancelling the whole North American tour. A great bummer for me. Got the ticket prices refunded, but lost $200 on flight cancellation fees. :mad:
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Nik Turner's doing another North American tour in the fall, so I'm pretty excited about that. Maybe this time I'll actually have the nerve to go over an talk to him, which was my one regret from the last show.
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

In the UK, they're almost an institution. Eternal keepers of the flame, who've been around seemingly forever.
Across the pond, they're not so well known - unsurprisingly, as visits were few and far between for a long time. There may be, unbelievable as it is, people on here who've never heard them.

Massed Gadgets and Sonic Destruction just about nailed it with the recommendations. All of that stuff is worth having. If you can find it!

Space Ritual era fuses the electronic weirdness of UFO-club Floyd with heavy Black Sabbath sludge and MC5 propulsion.
Quark/PXR5 is musically more like Stranglers/Magazine/Wire, Bowie and Krautrock....completely different.
As was the early 80s, which started strongly with Levitation (so glad I still have my vinyl copy of that!). It's their most polished musically, arrangements and production wise. Huw Lloyd-Langton's guitar playing on that was just sublime. The following albums all had glimpses of being that good but by then the line-up was in turmoil, even by HW standards, and when it did stabilize it was into a few years of the "Chronicles" band. It was around this time that I saw the few shows where they really blew chunks, out of the countless I've seen. They're definitely a live band, and despite all the line-ups, they've been consistently good most of the time.
By the end of the 80s they were back to one guitar and a more space/jam approach to gigs and new songs, which they seem to have stayed with whenever I've seen them since.

The Dave/Nik power struggle easily equals the Dave/Roger power struggle for long drawn out wrangling, bitterness, bloody-mindedness, whataboutery, division of the fans etc.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

It only appeared in the charts for one week at around 30 or lower, but Hawkwind have a new album "The Machine Stops". No idea what it's like.
But good to see they're still going!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:It only appeared in the charts for one week at around 30 or lower, but Hawkwind have a new album "The Machine Stops". No idea what it's like.
But good to see they're still going!
Picked it up yesterday. Only one listen so far. I guess the music is fairly similar to some of their other albums since the 1990s. I think having a concept album with Sci Fi lyrics actually makes this better than the last two "Hawkwind" albums...but, I have only listened once.