Did Rick really say this????

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Did Rick really say this????

Post by 30yrsydfan »

I am reading this piece:
http://www.sydbarrett.net/subpages/arti ... s_on_s.htm

and it states: Even the Floyd's Rick Wright, drunk on the success of "Dark Side Of The Moon", said of Barrett's songs, "I think they're appalling . . .musically, they're atrocious."

Anyone know if this is an accurate quote? If so i just lost an enourmous amount of respect for Rick.
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Did Rick really say this????

Post by Duckboy »

I doubt it.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

He has a point. If you look at the solo Syd stuff purely from a music perspective they are attrocious. They follow no known structure or set time signature.

But thats not why people listen to them Rick...
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Coming from a person who (not once) stated he's ashamed of his own early work, I do believe he might have said that.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I wouldn't condemn him for it if he did say it. Some of Syd's solo songs don't make for the easiest of listening.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I've heard Roger make similar comments about the early live shows
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I've read somewhere that Roger also considers his old songs very bad, particularly "Take Up Thy Stethoscope" and "Corporal Clegg".
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

folks are still buying madcap and barrett, no one is buying wet dream.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Nick Mason speaking about early Pink Floyd in an intervju 1973:

"That lasted all of the first year. We didn't know what we wanted, our aspirations were to record, become successful. The band didn't have 10% of the independence it now has. We did everything we were told. At press conferences, we posed as a band and jumped for the photographers. Now we think of it as ridiculous. But we were so naive...and so bad.

Q: Was the entire band really bad?

NM: All of it. That was important in the way we progressed. We could only play in London, because there the audience was more tolerant and was willing to withstand ten minutes of shit to discover five minutes of good music. We were at an experimental stage. We set out for unbelievable solos were no one would dare. The country audience wouldn't go through that. "
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

30yrsydfan wrote:folks are still buying madcap and barrett, no one is buying wet dream.
I would never take the record buying public's general habits as a good indicator of musical value. I've met so many people (typically art students) who bought the Barrett albums and NEVER listen to them, and only got them because of the alure of Syd Barrett.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I think "Wet Dream" and Syd's solo albums are equally bad. They all have a song or two worth listening and the rest is crap. We shouldn't deify neither Syd nor Rick just because of the fact they are dead. They both did a lot of crap in their careers, IMHO.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Ricks solo albums are all out of print so theres nothing to sell
its funny they werent reissued after his death, youda thunk thered be interest, especially after he costarred in Daves last tour
Syds solo albums are all in print, in various formats, including vinyl reissues
I guess the record label knows which products sell enough to reissue or not

but I suppose the real test is used vinyl: Wet Dream can be got quite cheap, it doesnt seem to be much of a collectors item,
Zee Identitys impossible to find, and I suspect many copies got junked with other generic eighties techno pop without being recognised as a Floydian sideproject
and I think Broken China was never issued on vinyl ...
but just try finding used copies of Syds solo albums ... record dealers charge outrageous prices for those and apparantly get them, even though the CDs are available with bonus tracks

anyway that article has a few errors and internal contradictions, so I wouldnt be surprised if Rick was misquoted
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

J Ed wrote:just try finding used copies of Syds solo albums ... record dealers charge outrageous prices for those and apparantly get them, even though the CDs are available with bonus tracks
That's only because Syd became a cult figure during his lifetime (hell, before he even turned 30) and there will always be people who have absolutely no clue why he became a cult figure and will therefore want to hear the stuff he's done at any cost at all, most of them simply out of pure snobism. I know a lot of people who claim to listen to early Pink Floyd just because they are shallow and think that they'd be considered intellectual or artistic if they proclaim themselves a Pink Floyd (and/or Syd Barrett) fan.

As for "Identity", it's pretty available on the torrent trackers, but why on Earth would anyone waste hard disc space on such a piece of crap?
PinkFloyd69
Axe
Axe

Post by PinkFloyd69 »

Hudini wrote:I've read somewhere that Roger also considers his old songs very bad, particularly "Take Up Thy Stethoscope" and "Corporal Clegg".
Smart man, that Roger ;)
Hudini wrote:
J Ed wrote:
As for "Identity", it's pretty available on the torrent trackers, but why on Earth would anyone waste hard disc space on such a piece of crap?
Mainly my desire to have everything related to Floyd I can find, but also because I like a couple of the songs
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

my breakfast. wrote:I've met so many people (typically art students) who bought the Barrett albums and NEVER listen to them, and only got them because of the alure of Syd Barrett.
Hudini wrote:there will always be people who have absolutely no clue why he became a cult figure and will therefore want to hear the stuff he's done at any cost at all, most of them simply out of pure snobism. I know a lot of people who claim to listen to early Pink Floyd just because they are shallow and think that they'd be considered intellectual or artistic if they proclaim themselves a Pink Floyd (and/or Syd Barrett) fan.

Ha, ha...I guess I was an art student suffering from snobism all those years ago...not sure I was ever a "NPF collectivist moron" as mossy puts it... [-D-]