Roger Waters as a Bassist

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
User avatar
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2385
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 8:40 am
Location: Holland

Post by Powderfinger »

Johnny Rotten wrote:
Useful Idiot wrote:Because at the time, literally all her posts were "I love Roger, he's so sexy". Fortunately, she's developed now into a worthy contributor to the forum.
well, shouldnt RPITI have loved it if he was a Roger fanatic?
If one is a Roger fanatic doesn't mean he wants to read "I love Roger, he's so sexy" a thousend time every day. :roll:
User avatar
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 7255
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:46 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon

Post by princessDungan74D »

hey keep me out of this thank you
User avatar
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16802
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2002 6:54 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Cheshire, England

Post by Keith Jordan »

Yeah, there is no point digging up the past for no useful purpose!
User avatar
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 7255
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:46 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Lincoln City, Oregon

Post by princessDungan74D »

thank you Keith
I have try to stay out of this fight
don't include me in your battle
User avatar
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!
Posts: 2385
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 8:40 am
Location: Holland

Post by Powderfinger »

OK, you're right, my excuses :)
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11439
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Post by mosespa »

The point, Johnny Rotten, is that you dismiss Gilmour's printed claim of having played bass on 50% percent of Pink Floyd's material and instead follow another printed claim that he only played bass on six songs...the guy who listed Gilmour on bass for six songs wasn't even a member of the band, nor was he at ANY of these recording sessions.

The point is, it seems that you are just trying to argue for the sake of arguing. You dismiss anyone else's evidence as "refutable," and counter with equally shady information that you can't even really back up.

Don't mistake my cynical, sarcastic nature for hostility...you don't "get my goat." I'll be truthful with you, at this point in time, *** ***** OOPS ******.but I'm not really that interested in being the one who does it.

I AM, however, interested in catching your little moments of hubris and breaking them down for you just to demonstrate that no one on this board thinks that you're anywhere near as clever as you think you are.

I chalk this up to your obvious youth and inexperience...you may turn into quite the contributor to this board once you shut up and listen so that you can learn from those of us who have been studying the group longer than you've been alive.

By the way...Johnny Rotten is no longer a paragon of "punk integrity." He sold out a long time ago...is that why you adopted his name?

Just curious. I'd like to think that you could be witty enough to be using the name in an "ironic" fashion...but given that long dissertation you did on punk music a few months back, I'm more inclined to believe that you failed to notice Mr. Rotten/Lydon's sell out.

Edited by Syd.
Johnny Rotten
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 507
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 10:23 am

Post by Johnny Rotten »

Roger is marked for 92% and Gilmour is marked for 8% of all songs that are marked and that includes some really rare things like Fretless bass in echoes. so... somehow, gilmour managed to get 50/50 score by playing all the bass in Final Cut and The wall? amazing. Especially when there was skilled multi-instrumentalist and bass player Andy Bown in those sessions. :lol: (i truly believe Andy Bown played almost all the bass in Pros&cons too)

and I remember you didnt even read my post about punk music. you come off as bitter and your forum position defending person, this conversation might be more enjoyable if you wouldn't make it so personal for nothing.
and yes, John Lydon sold out. I might want to contribute some tool lyrics, "hooker with a penis" but I'm gonna say that what kind of stigma, the name Johnny Rotten was in my youth is just great pop cultures trademark. I myself was always a bigger Public Image Ltd fan than sex pistols fan... But I remember you come crying when I tried to discuss about 2004 albums that they were "hipster" things. When you yourself could only name radio song from last year and one rock dinosaurs song from this year.

I dont know do you expect me to bow down to you or what? but Gilmour is talented musician, I liked AMLORs tunes more than the final cut, I find his solo albums lacking in many ways and im very critical when it comes to his talk about Pink Floyd history: http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/for/v ... 49&start=0

thats my viewpoint and im not gonna change it because you really havent convinced me
User avatar
mosespa
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11439
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:54 pm
Location: In the editing bay...working on the final cut...

Post by mosespa »

I don't expect you to bow down before me, Johnny. I'm just waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for you to support your notion that Gilmour only played bass on six songs without referencing Mr. Fitch or R.PITI (who you bear more than a passing resemblance to in your argument techiniques...might you actually be that user under a different name?)

In fact, it seems that a good portion of your posts are simply contradictory for the sake of contradiction. For all of your ability to post lengthy dissertations on various subjects, you fail to offer any convincing arguments. Might you simply be cutting and pasting your dissertations? Probably not.

Instead, you keep saying only that Gilmour played bass on six songs (as if you were there to know,) and instead offer the absurd notion that Andy Bown might have played on the albums.

Now...it IS possible that Bown played on tracks...but I doubt it. For the simple reason that the KNOWN session musicians were top names like Jeff Porcaro, Lee Ritenour and Freddie Mandell.

Andy Bown may have something of a pedigree for playing in some great British bands like Status Quo...but that doesn't necessarily qualify him as a session musician. Given the nature of Pink Floyd's finances following the Norton/Warburg debacle, it would seem that if the band were going to bring someone in on their own dollar to record parts, they would want to get someone with a reputation for nailing things quickly. Misters Porcaro, Mandell and Ritenour were (in that day) "First Call" session musicians because they could come in and nail something in just a few takes.

And they were on a hell of a deadline.

In regards to Bown's involvement with The Final Cut...it's a completely different album than The Wall. Different circumstances. Not as much of a rush to get it put out to meet contractual obligations. Gilmour allegedly told Waters just to call him whenever he was ready for guitar tracks. This implies that maybe Gilmour wasn't around enough to do the bass tracks...so...Andy Bown (who by this time had an opportunity to have proven himself as a member of The Wall's Surrogate Band.)

In other words, just because Bown played on The Final Cut doesn't mean that he played on anything else.

Hell...Gilmour played on a dozen or so albums with the band...does that mean he really did the guitar work on Piper?

No...he wasn't in the band yet. He had to join and prove himself first.

You misunderstand my tone (which is easy to do when vocal inflections are removed from conversations)...I don't take anything you say personally. You don't make me angry or irritated.

I just call it like I see it.
User avatar
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1225
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: The Land Beyond The Forest

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Charade I am wrote:
mosespa wrote:
In regards to the intro, Roger wrote a chord progression that went from Eminor to Dminor...Gilmour turned it into what it is now.
before reading these posts, I?ve always suspected that Gilmour helped a in the composing of songs like "Hey You" and ABITW2" because at PULSE he only played songs that have his composing credits on, except for Hey You and ABITW, so, I thought that if he is playing those without Roger, maybe....maybe, he did have any participation, more than just his voice, in those numbers.....

Songwriting credits can be deceptive. As far as I'm concerned....whoever's name is on the credit he (or she) is the ORIGINATOR of the idea not neccessarily the composer of every single note that went into the song. As fans we usually just assume that's what it means but it's not often the case at all. Case in point.......Jumping Jack Flash is considered one of the all-time Stones classics...ie.....Jagger/Richards but that's not actually the truth. Fact is Mick and Keith came into the studio late (as usual) and Wyman and Watts were already there and had been (as usual).....as Mick and Keith strolled in Wyman was playing a riff he had come up with and they liked it alot and wrote a song around it...and they got all the credit....they in fact DID write the song but the riff was Wyman's. That's a situation where he like many band members got screwed. Keith has subsequently admitted the Riff was Wyman's but Jagger never has and the credit remains unchanged. In fact many band members help shape a song but don't get songwriting credit for their input...the Floyd is no exception. People like Frank Zappa will write every note of every players part but he's an exception in Rock....so in short...despite a solo Roger credit it is highly likely the others put their two cents in to make the song what it ultimately became....mind you the song wouldn't exist had Roger NOT come up with the original idea but it's final form was unlikely not his entire creation.....but all too many fans think it is because it says "Waters" on the credit.
Johnny Rotten wrote:.....and if RPITI was a roger fanatic why did he dump this forum because of libby roger lover? (according to libbys words)
Jealousy? :wink:

Besides.....just cause Libby said that was the reason don't necessarily make it so. Could just be her opinion. Who knows what PITIful reason was...if he in fact left and didn't come back under another name...he's done that elsewhere....why not here?


.
User avatar
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 2:52 am
Location: The State Of Peace!

Post by bpmolder »

...
Last edited by bpmolder on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
David Smith
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7074
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:54 pm
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

I'm sure this has been said already, but when Gilmour said he played on half the songs it was more than likely a figure of speech. I mean he probably didn't play on all that many, but i'm sure it was a not to abd amount for him to be able to justify his figure of speech
Pythagorean
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:47 am

Post by Pythagorean »

mosespa wrote: ...otherwise, you just look like a silly assed Gilmour Hater/Waters Loyalist.

I am neither...I respect both men greatly.

More Floyd Fans should.
quality post
User avatar
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 10916
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:17 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Edinburgh - Scotland

Post by my breakfast. »

I play both bass and guitar. Roger Waters has a style which is hellishly good, but not technical at all. Stevie Vai cannot play Hendrix with soul, and listening to Guy Pratt playing astronomy domine has the same effect. Th slide effect in the middle of echoes is good enough alone, but why did roger stick his finger in his ears when he sings set the controls... can he pitch notes better?
User avatar
bpmolder
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 4393
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 2:52 am
Location: The State Of Peace!

Post by bpmolder »

No, it's because Roger loves the sound of his own voice so much that he drowns out all other sounds, just to be with it....to live with it....lol
User avatar
HypatiaAquae
Axe
Axe
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:27 pm
Location: in a picture opposite me

Post by HypatiaAquae »

my breakfast. wrote: can he pitch notes better?
That what I believe that's what he thought, and you all know that headphones weren't widely used onstage yet.