NOUIP tribute CD1,2,3 TABS!

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
kaustubh
Axe
Axe

NOUIP tribute CD1,2,3 TABS!

Post by kaustubh »

hey all,

this "NOUIP tribute" is really awesome!

but now can anyone here tab these songs so that one can try hands on them?

to start with, the track from CD1

04 - The Turning Away - Stop

its simply amazing song that i'd like to try practicing.
again and again... :D

can someone tab it for us?
kaustubh
:D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

The guys behind Stop have registered a domain name but not set up a website yet, its http://www.theturningaway.com I no longer have the e-mail address for them but if you keep an eye on that website you may be able to contact them soon????

Tabs and Chords for many of the other tracks will be the same as the Floyd versions, you can find those easily using google, hope that helps.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Or you can just discover the satisfaction of figuring it out for yourself.

I've never let the existence of tablature stop me from exercising the ear that I proclaim to play by, anyway.

Tab is only for when my ear absolutely fails me. It's my last resort...not my first.

*Sigh* I weep for the future.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

I know what you mean. It's like saying:

That Mona Lisa is a really fantastic painting. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good colouring book so I can paint one for myself?
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ironbaden »

Norbert Wilkins wrote:I know what you mean. It's like saying:

That Mona Lisa is a really fantastic painting. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good colouring book so I can paint one for myself?
I know what you mean...but as a teaching tool and a frustration reliever ..Tabs are great. I can sit and learn a Tune But from time to time ...you miss pieces...either from bad mixes..( especially if you play bass some times the lines are mxed so poorly its hard to decive) or your not hearing properly, or in my case the darn thing is so technical I couldn't figure it out :smt120 ... I'll go to the spot in the tab that I'm having the problem and learn the piece. Personally I really don't see much of a differnce in having the sheet music in front of you and playing a piece or having The Tab. I know many musicians who cannot play by ear who rely on their sheet music, why not Tabs... Just my opinion. :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Don't get me wrong...I use tab. It's just not the first thing I go to when I want to learn a song.

My first approach is often procuring a copy of the song and sitting down with it. (A less-often used approach is seeing if I can just figure out a basic version of what the progression of the song might be...THEN finding a copy of the song and comparing.)

If I can't figure it out, THEN, I'll look for the tab.

Sure, tab is quicker...more convenient. But figuring it out for yourself is more satisfying, IMO.

I also think sheet music (standard notation) should not be the first resort.

All these people who can sight read a piece of music for the first time (while giving a near-flawless performance) don't really impress me that much.

Of course, I'm presently unable to do it, but I could if I wanted to take the time to practice it...but what's the point? What do you learn from being able to do that?

I know a couple of people who can sight read on many different instruments, but they cannot compose a piece of music on their own.

I'm unable to sight read, yet I have composed something like 70 songs and several abstract pieces. I consider myself a slacker because I've been doing it for about twenty years now and that only averages out to about three and a half songs per year.

My point (and there IS one, I just kind of forgot it for a second :smt033 ) is that you learn more, (IMO) by figuring a song out for yourself than you do by having someone else figure it out and show you.

Besides, it can't be THAT difficult. This is not meant to disparage the artist in question. Their version of Stop is probably my most favorite moment of Volume One. I feel that the sound of OBC-era Floyd was perfectly captured. I think that that's how the song would have been done if they had done The Wall in 1971 instead of 1979.

That's an amazing feat, in my eyes. One which The Turning Away pulled off remarkably well.

BUT...I've always maintained that despite being my all-time favorite guitarist, Gilmour isn't exactly the most technical of all players. His riffs are deceptively simple...and almost exclusively based in the minor-pentatonic scale (which only has five notes, man.)

Trust me...just sit down with it and figure it out. It'll mean more to ya.
kaustubh
Axe
Axe

yes

Post by kaustubh »

yes fellas'

Of course i have begun this topic only after trying to play by EAR many times....
though I appreciate your efforts in explaining the "gooood EAR" point.

Since I am an autodidact, and will almost reach intermidiate stage soon, i felt that tabs could help me to directly figure out the music and speed up my methods and skills. I still can't figure out the faster parts.

I'll surely try to figure out the riff, having tried and ending in faliures though, id mind your advice.

thanks fellas, atleast we N O W know the difference between THE Mona Lisa and a good guitar riff.
Dont we Norbert? :D