"Press Release" for the tribute CD and Show

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Press Release" for the tribute CD and Show

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was just thinking, it would be good to write a press release for the tribute CDs and include information about the NPF Live Show as well. We could email it to loads of websites and other people etc. Good idea?
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Post by carefule eugene »

Sorry Keith, but I don't like the idea. Normally when you record a song and make it available to other people for listening you have to pay the rights of the authors etc. As long as this is a small project of and for hardcore fans they will negotiate us. But when you make a lot of promotion...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That is a fair point! :)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

carefule eugene wrote:Sorry Keith, but I don't like the idea. Normally when you record a song and make it available to other people for listening you have to pay the rights of the authors etc. As long as this is a small project of and for hardcore fans they will negotiate us. But when you make a lot of promotion...
It WOULD be a fair point if we were making money off of this.

No money is changing hands anywhere...I don't see where promoting it would hurt a thing as long as each piece of promotional material CLEARLY states that this is NOT FOR PROFIT.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

It's all for free, and made at no cost, so a press release would be good, to get the news around. Maybe it would even get onto BD.co.uk/pinkfloydz.com.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

jambo wrote: Maybe it would even get onto BD.co.uk/pinkfloydz.com.
Yes, that is what I was thinking. Some text... and email even.... as a "press release" and not necesarily to send to the mainstream press!! :)
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Post by carefule eugene »

mosespa wrote:
carefule eugene wrote:Sorry Keith, but I don't like the idea. Normally when you record a song and make it available to other people for listening you have to pay the rights of the authors etc. As long as this is a small project of and for hardcore fans they will negotiate us. But when you make a lot of promotion...
It WOULD be a fair point if we were making money off of this.

No money is changing hands anywhere...I don't see where promoting it would hurt a thing as long as each piece of promotional material CLEARLY states that this is NOT FOR PROFIT.
I don't know what the law says in every single country but when we give here a party, and it's a free entree you still have to pay for the use of the music. It doesn't matter if it is a live-band or an old tape-recorder. It doesn't matter if it's a party with only granny's eating a cake and drinking a cup of coffee... When they use some muzak in the background they have too pay. The only exception is when you can prouve that it's a private party just for family and some friends (like a marriage-party)

Well it's just about the same for recording songs: Even when it's for free and for give away only you have to pay for the rights of the author. The only exception here is when you clearly says that it's a "DEMO - recording for promotional use only" AND that you declare that there are no more than 50 copies of that DEMO...
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

A press release for sending round the various Floyd sites is a good idea, that'll be harmless enough, whos going to write it tho? I remember a few people being keen on doing it last time and when it came to the crunch silence.
W1P
Blade
Blade

Post by W1P »

NPF show added to the Pink Floyd worldwide tribute gig schedule @ PF Online
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

simpledumbpilot wrote:A press release for sending round the various Floyd sites is a good idea, that'll be harmless enough, whos going to write it tho? I remember a few people being keen on doing it last time and when it came to the crunch silence.
hey stu,
i can give you a hand with that if you'd like. i'd just need a few facts like the number of cds (4, i think) number of tracks and total number of artisits appearing on the tribute. release date. things like that.

i'd like to address the issue of legality for a moment. carefule eugene makes valid points. to put it bluntly, we're all breaking the law by sharing audio files. it's a simple as that. it doesn't matter that nobody's making any money. it doesn't matter that we're trading shows that have never been officially released. just the simple act of recording a show without the artists permission is illegal, even if you never disribute any copies. don't fool yourself. ANY distribution or public performance of licenced music without paying the appropriate licensing fee is illegal.

the only reason we can get away with it is because record labels and bands turn a blind eye to the trading of shows. they don't really care as long as you're not making money and you're not bootlegging legitimate releases. bands like the greatful dead and phish figured out that tape trading was actually good for business so they gave their blessing to the fans and actually set up taping sections. the floyd has never given us their blessing. one letter from the floyd's management, emi, bmi, ascap or sesac to kieth would shut this whole thing down.

i'm not advocating that we stop trading. we're very responisble here and are careful not to step on anybody's toes. more importantly, we're not cutting into anybody's profits. we'll be okay as long as we keep doing business the way that we have been. sorry kids. i hate to be a buzzkill, but we're all pirates out here, sailing the neptune pink floyd sea. arrrr matey!
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

I think that it very legal what we are doing and sharing and trading music is not against the law, .... this has been made by us and are not making any profit from somebody's work

quote from http://www.macjams.com/forum/viewtopic. ... topic=2619

One of the murky areas is that there are no provisions that I currently know of to determine mechanic rights for posting covers on a non-commercial website. Moreover, as far as I know, there have been no lawsuits regarding people posting covers of songs without permission on non-commercial sites. However, even within the gray area of fan sites and covers, it is most certainly respectful and ethically compelling to at least state the original copyright holder's name and copyright date of any cover, arrangement or derivative work that is posted.
missbee
Axe
Axe

Post by missbee »

yeah, the cover song comps and downloads on npf are illegal. period. there's no debate about that. apparently the powers that be aren't so concerned about pink floyd material being shared, since so many other people are also getting away with it. i think we can safely announce the comp on other floyd related sites.

i'll gladly assist as editor on the bio.
missbee
Axe
Axe

Post by missbee »

jonesy wrote:it is most certainly respectful and ethically compelling to at least state the original copyright holder's name and copyright date of any cover, arrangement or derivative work that is posted.
good point, jonesy. and we haven't been including that in our liner notes, have we?