The NPF Brighton show reviews

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

The NPF Brighton show reviews

Post by thrill-seeker »

Post your reviews here.

I'm shattered and slightly hungover and deprived of sleep so I'll post mine later.

Andy. :)
WhammyBar
Axe
Axe

Thanks Stu

Post by WhammyBar »

The very best reviews must go to Stu, whose efforts resulted in an unforgettable event. :smt041

Just getting one band to an audience filled venue and through a set is hard enough for goodness sake, so putting three tribute acts plus a whole range of different artists on one stage in one day is far more than a miracle.

All the work paid off - and all the stress Stu went through (especially during soundcheck time) must have been worth it in the end.

Please can we come back next year?!! We loved being part of it.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

yeah - thanks Stu - great night
bald_fat_bloke
Axe
Axe

Post by bald_fat_bloke »

Hi Stu, you must be there somewhere - particularly impressive that you seemed, to me, to have a constant grin from the start to the time we had to leave - adversity did't seem to have a handle on how to get you down - or perhaps you'd like to confidentially share the secrets of your meds with me! I'll share my blood pressure pills with you dude!

Thanks to all who attended, we had a blast, the vibe took me back to another time (Till we had to load the truck & make the trudge back to Northampton - but, hey THAT'S PART OF THE FUN, INNIT?!) The Sound guys were... erm... sound! The visuals chaps were.. blinding? The Bar staff were..... well the girls were frankly gorgeous but that's the start of some ramblings from an old fool so I'll cease. Oh! & all the Artistes? Yeah well - it was most impressive wasn't it?!

Stay cool & safe all you groovy dudes - hope to see you all again sometime soon

Lots of Love to you all

From Dave & All with Breathe (http://www.breathefloyd.co.uk - come on over & say Hullo)
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Hey folks, just a very brief message for now as we have to go and do the originals night in a mo but I had to pop in and give a big thanks to everyone involved and everyone who came (or however you reacted ;) ). It was a bit of a wild day, behind the scenes was chaotic but out the front was a lot of people having a great time and thats what its all about. I'll do a proper write up over the next week, just wanted to pop in and say thanks quickly.

Cheers
Stu
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Dont mean to put the pressure on but if you could do a write up with some pics for the Oct NPF Magazine, that would be excellent timing!! :o :D
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Well it was certainly a good night to say the least. :D

It was great to meet fellow forum members - Jonesy, Drafsack and of course PublicImage ! :D Also it was really good to meet all the other people I met - which right now some have escaped me since I still haven't had any sleep since I got up at 8am on yesturday (I've only just got home). The band Swedish Whistler was amoung the people I got talking to. :smt006 I enjoyed their performance (particularly of Effervescing Elephant :D ). That was really great that they made it all the way from Sweden to play a few gigs down there.

A massive, massive thanks to Stu for all of the work - and it was a hell of a lot of work :o And a lot of running around like a lunatic on the day. Everyone seemed to enjoy it by the looks of it.

Well, I suppose I should mention something about this "band" that got together consisting of forum members: PublicImage, Stu and myself. Overall considering we had only practiced the day before and had no proper soundcheck on the day I thought we handled things alright. We had a problem all day about finding a singer for our desired opening track Welcome To The Machine. We managed to rope in some guy from the Amber Herds (I think). Well done to him for managing that :) The fact that the whole song didn't quite have a proper timing to it was pretty much down to me I think (I'll take the blame for that :( ) I wasn't sure about you Roger and Stu about your monitoring on stage but as you already know I couldn't hear myself at all on stage and I was very much using the main speakers to try to hear myself. So singing Dominoes in tune for most of the song was quite hard. I doubt that any of the songs we did apart from Careful With That Axe will be featured on the DVD that will be vined out. Thankfuly. :o We dropped songs like Embryo and Jugband Blues due to running short of time (I'm sure that wasn't the only reason though ;)) Careful With That Axe Eugene was our best. Even with audience participation ! As none of us were capable of the scream during this track the audience the chance to join in after a count of four :D Something to look forward to on the DVD I think 8) Free Four was an improvised piece of shite :lol: All through the set it was a case of looking at eachother to find out what to do next ! :D That was about it really when Stu wanted to call it a day and take us off stage to let the other bands come on due to us running late. But having practiced a little solo I had planned I thought it was a shame personally to have missed it out. So I kind of didn't bother going off stage with the rest of them and starting the beginning of Nobody Home. Perhaps I should have left the stage at that point. Especially having gone through the other songs not being able to hear myself on stage. So this wasn;t anywhere near being great but neither was it totally dire. It was naturally going to be out of tune because of this and then twice I forgot the chord changes and had just improvised some of it. I might as well point out that it was the first time I had sung in fron of anyone at all since I was in primary school. So give me some credit, please :o :D

Perhaps things got a little bit tense at the end (being 2am) and Stu and I ended up arguing over a Salt and Viniger packet of crisps ! :lol:

So anyway...I think everyone's performance had a touch of quality to them. The fact that I wasn't the only one singing out of tune on the night made me feel slightly better :wink: Mentioning no names though !1

There's so much more I could talk about I think. I think we all had a great laugh with Jonesy throughout the night. I managed to get a few videos of it too :wink: I think it would be highly inappropriate to upload them here though. But they're are fucking class :lol:

Best band of the night was Breathe 8)

I'm off now to catch up on my sleep.
When I get time this week I should have a few photos up I think...stay tuned for that 8)

:smt006
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Hey it was a good show - bald_fat_bloke was brill and it was good to meet some of the forum members - Well done Stu you deserve the biggest thanks for organising such a good show.
darkside_andy
Axe
Axe

Post by darkside_andy »

A big thanks to Stu and all of the Komedia team for a great day. Loved the Swedish groove in Emily - really refreshing and good to meet so many other Floyd heads. Here's to Glasgow!

Darkside
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

Sounds like you all had fun :)
I wish I could have been there.
Looking forward to pictures and the DVD :D
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Just a quick post with our 'group photo'.

I'll upload the rest later on :)

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/andyga ... pg&.src=ph

That really seems to show how small I am :?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I look so stupid there. I guess there is a reason for that!

Upload the jonesy and drafsack photos!
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

What a day!We arrived at our suggested soundcheck time of 1pm to find the upstairs Komedia venue in total chaos with the stage and floor full of equipment and people! We introduced ourselves to Stu and then hung around with everyone else,not really being able to help much,whilst the show was slowly put together around us.We set up on the small bit of the huge stage that was left and soundchecked at twenty to four.As three others had to soundcheck after us and doors opened at 4pm,it was a miracle that everything was sorted in time! At 5 to 4 Stu asked me if I could sing Welcome to the machine with the forum collaboration and it seemed such a shame for them not to open with this I foolishly agreed! The doors opened at 4 and the venue seemed to fill up almost immediately-I really wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near full in the afternoon but it was obvious a lot of people had travelled and meant to enjoy a full day of it(which,given beer prices in there was no mean feat!) I think we got away with Welcome...and this got everyone in the mood.Our band's drummer then sat in with Simple Dumb Pilot,Thrill-Seeker and PublicImage for Eugene amd Free Four.I agree with Thrill-Seeker-Eugene was great and the audience count-in for the scream was genius! A great way to tell our drummer when the freak-out section was about to begin without having to nod him in and make it appear as if the whole thing wasn't improvised on the spot with no full rehearsal! Good work!! I thought Barney was great after this and was sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi.Really good acoustic interpretations of Rog stuff.Fat Old Man was ace and Fat Old Man's mate was a lunatic! I think by this point the serious non-forum Floyd-heads were itching for a bit of straight tribute action so next up were Breathe who sounded great,played all the hits and went down very well-the last three or four from Great Gig.. onwards was great.We couldn't enjoy it as much as we'd have liked however,as our band,The Amber Herd ,were up next.Having expected our hobby acoustic covers thing to go on second at 4.30 or something we were thrust into the position of following a great tribute act at about 8pm when the place was rammed! We only played our first gig the week before so this was a distinct challenge! The lack of a longer soundcheck(no grumbles tho')meant we didn't have any decent monitors(I know how Thrill-Seeker felt!)so we lost our way a bit in Cymbaline but kept going and somehow met up again at the end! If seemed to go down well and we had some guys in the front asking for Supper's Ready and The Knife which was a laugh! A guy at the back managed to correctly identify Country Song(I owe you a pint!) and we finished with a guitar freak-out(for us)version of Fat Old Sun.Following this we could START DRINKING!!! Really enyoyed the rest of the show-particulary Darkside who were the best band of the day.Looking forward to meeting up again in Glasgow,guys.Great to meet Stu and Jonesy and the rest.Stu did an absolutely fantastic job,as did the guys on the desk who were all tolerance personified amidst a fair bit of stress and a few little hissy fits! I have no idea how they all did it-it was like Live Aid without a revolving stage!!! Well done Stu-you are the toppest of top men and it was a pleasure to sail in you.Hopefully see some of you again in Glasgow.WE DID IT!!!!
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

What an awesome show!!!

Stu you truly did an excellent job!

I'm sure none of us really stopped to think just how much organising went into the show. All of your hard work and ernest effort really paid off, it must have been the greatest show ever played at Komedia!!

My highlight was surely Breathe, how good was that show?!

Amazing sounds, 'Great Gig' was sublime!

Swedish Whistler's 'Emily' was incredible too, what a great variant!

Me and Darkside had an absolutely fantastic day, we enjoyed the whole thing from start to finish and had a great weekend. So good in fact I'd completely forgotten that it was my birthday on Sunday!

I got back to Wolves, 190 miles and 5 hours after leaving Komedia on Sunday morning and flaked out! Reckon I might have over done the Newcys on Saturday! ; )

Anyhow, we had a wonderful time in Brighton, and are really looking forward to Glasgow, that's gonna be another incredible weekend!

See you all soon!
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

PublicImage wrote:I look so stupid there. I guess there is a reason for that!
And that is ?.... :o
Upload the jonesy and drafsack photos!
Say "please" !!1