NPF Tribute CD Vol 2?

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
didario
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:35 am
Location: S?o Paulo, Brasil

NPF Tribute CD Vol 2?

Post by didario »

Hi guys, I just arrived now and I'm very impressed with the NPF Tribute CD. I wonder if there will be a fourth CD, or a second Volume? A friend and I would like to contribute to the CD, in case there is another one.

In the meantime, we would love to hear what you think of "our" Terrapin.
Check it ou at http://rapidshare.de/files/3014388/terrapin.mp3.html
Just click in the "free" at the bottom of the page. Download should start after a few seconds.
See you!

User avatar
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, from Black Books. In whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty.

Post by moom »

Hi and welcome, newbie!
yeah, this would be cool! So what do you say we do it, guys?

User avatar
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:41 am
Location: In Outer Space

Post by simpledumbpilot »

There will be a volume 2, partcularly as volume 1 has been quite a considerable success. The original plan was to start the second volume this month but it would be a good idea to wait for things to die down a little with all the Live 8 madness going on so volume 2 will start next month! :D

User avatar
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, from Black Books. In whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty.

Post by moom »

simpledumbpilot wrote:There will be a volume 2, partcularly as volume 1 has been quite a considerable success. The original plan was to start the second volume this month but it would be a good idea to wait for things to die down a little with all the Live 8 madness going on so volume 2 will start next month! :D
WHOHOO!!! SO SOON!!!

User avatar
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 10913
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:17 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Edinburgh - Scotland

Post by my breakfast. »

I hope to contribute AHM!!!!

didario
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:35 am
Location: S?o Paulo, Brasil

Post by didario »

Great, thanks for the answers!
We'll definitely send some material for the next tribute.
Cheers.

User avatar
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!
Posts: 3757
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:41 am
Location: In Outer Space

Post by simpledumbpilot »

my breakfast. wrote:I hope to contribute AHM!!!!
Good man Alan! Tho I must warn you, if I hear anything a semitone out Im calling my lawyers! :wink: should be interesting to see how yours compares with the outstanding version on volume 1, have you heard the keyboards on that? that guy has talent :wink: :lol:

User avatar
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 15141
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:41 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, from Black Books. In whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty.

Post by moom »

I'll try to contribute something too...

User avatar
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Posts: 10913
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 8:17 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Edinburgh - Scotland

Post by my breakfast. »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:I hope to contribute AHM!!!!
Good man Alan! Tho I must warn you, if I hear anything a semitone out Im calling my lawyers! :wink: should be interesting to see how yours compares with the outstanding version on volume 1, have you heard the keyboards on that? that guy has talent :wink: :lol:
oh the modesty... Well my version is going to have to feature Viola and Piano-through-leslie simulator, and Pipe Organ! Along with me on guitar duties, and a couple of friends... the keyboards are allready recorded, and we will use a backing track recordeing live, a little like the organ sounds of the Who.

User avatar
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:29 am
Gender: Male
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i'm getting on board too. i'm working on a version of "several species...". i plan on getting some flac for this. i think it's most fan's least favorite floyd song. rather like beatle fan's opinion of "revolution 9". i don't care about that. it was a great experiment on roger's part. i've spent quite sometime listing to it backwards, pitched up and down, etc. and i have an increased appreciation for the complexity of the piece.

also, there will be some who dispute my choice of lyrics spoken by the pict. i've done a bit of research on this and i've come to the conclusion that most of the transcriptions available on the web are just dead wrong in a lot of places. i subscribe to dan masters' theory that this is an account of the famous defeat of mary queen of scots at the battle of langside that took place in the 16th century.

here's a sample of what i'm talking about:

"And then cried Mary(11) and I tucked up(12)
Wi? a Claymore out and about(13)
And I run down, down the mechyn sty(14),
And back on fiery hore(15) that was fallin? around the feet."

11) Some interpret the next words to be ?And then Craig Marion?. The other suggested interpretation is, ?And then cried Mary and?? This interpretation makes much more sense in the context of the lines that follow as will be shown. Evidently, Mary Queen of Scots gives the battle cry and then the troops charge. Either that or the narrator cries out Mary to indicate his allegiance and build courage before charging.

12) ?Tucked up? is the term that has been mistakenly translated ?took that? or ?get out?. In the 16th Century, when a peasant soldier in typical garb--a long over-shirt--was ready to charge he would first ?tuck up?, which meant that he would put folds in his loose shirt and tuck it under his belt to keep it tight. It was this action and the resulting folds that gave birth to the kilt as part of the traditional Scottish military uniform.

13) About ? it sounds like he?s saying ?Claymore out and abott?. Actually, ?abotte? was an alternate spelling/pronunciation of ?about? at that time.

14) Mechyn Sty in the 16th Century meant ?humble path?. History reports that Mary?s troops charged down a small path and into battle. Remember, sty would be pronounced stay with the Scots accent.

15) Hore ? Filth. The narrator runs down to a field, falls in mud, gets up, runs down a little path and then back into filth that surrounds his feet.

dan masters' interpretation of the story may not be 100% correct, but it makes more sense than the other translations that i've read, so that's what i'll be using. anyway, it shouldn't matter much. i'll probably down a couple of pints before recording that bit (to enhance the scottish accent, of course!) so you probably won't be able to understand me anyhow.

i was thrilled to be a part of the first tribute, and i'm looking forward to making this small contribution to the next. cheers to all of you who are joining in on the fun!

slainte!

didario
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:35 am
Location: S?o Paulo, Brasil

Post by didario »

Several species...is a masterpiece. The best song in Ummagumma's studio album. Good to know more people, besides myself, like it.
Cheers.

User avatar
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:29 am
Gender: Male
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i'm glad i'm not alone in my appreciation of it. originally the idea for ummagumma was to create an album without using any traditional musical instruments. that concept was quickly ditched. several species... is the only track that actually accomplished that goal. i love it for it's originality! i only hope that my humble version will be half as good as the original.

User avatar
ironbaden
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:09 am
Location: canada

Post by ironbaden »

can't wait to hear it :lol:

User avatar
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:07 pm

Re: NPF Tribute CD Vol 2?

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

didario wrote:In the meantime, we would love to hear what you think of "our" Terrapin.
Check it ou at http://rapidshare.de/files/3014388/terrapin.mp3.html
Just click in the "free" at the bottom of the page. Download should start after a few seconds.
See you!
I really like it. It has the same ramshackle "outsider" quality as a number of the other tracks on the tribute (and Syd himself for that matter). I particularly like the vocals, the whistled parts and the random interjections that appear throughout. They make it for me. I think this deserves to be in Volume 2 as it stands.

It occurs to me that I still haven't posted my long-promised review of the Tribute. Should get cracking on that, pronto.

User avatar
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 1134
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:07 pm

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

davidjay wrote:i'm getting on board too. i'm working on a version of "several species...". i plan on getting some flac for this. i think it's most fan's least favorite floyd song. rather like beatle fan's opinion of "revolution 9". i don't care about that. it was a great experiment on roger's part. i've spent quite sometime listing to it backwards, pitched up and down, etc. and i have an increased appreciation for the complexity of the piece.
I love it, but then I'm one of those weirdos who admit to liking the studio half of Ummagumma. I have always loved this track, even when the rest of the album didn't make much sense to the twelve-year-old me. I also think that "number 9 number 9" is the focal point of the White Album and quite possibly the most significant piece of experimental music ever attempted by a pop band.
davidjay wrote:also, there will be some who dispute my choice of lyrics spoken by the pict. i've done a bit of research on this and i've come to the conclusion that most of the transcriptions available on the web are just dead wrong in a lot of places. i subscribe to dan masters' theory that this is an account of the famous defeat of mary queen of scots at the battle of langside that took place in the 16th century.
I'm inclined to believe that it's simply Roger taking the piss out of someone he knew quite well, perhaps a landlord or a roadie, rather than any grand take on Scottish history (have you seen Peter Watkin's 1966 BBC docudrama Culloden? It's utterly fantastic!)
davidjay wrote:here's a sample of what i'm talking about:

"And then cried Mary(11) and I tucked up(12)
Wi? a Claymore out and about(13)
And I run down, down the mechyn sty(14),
And back on fiery hore(15) that was fallin? around the feet."

11) Some interpret the next words to be ?And then Craig Marion?. The other suggested interpretation is, ?And then cried Mary and?? This interpretation makes much more sense in the context of the lines that follow as will be shown. Evidently, Mary Queen of Scots gives the battle cry and then the troops charge. Either that or the narrator cries out Mary to indicate his allegiance and build courage before charging.

12) ?Tucked up? is the term that has been mistakenly translated ?took that? or ?get out?. In the 16th Century, when a peasant soldier in typical garb--a long over-shirt--was ready to charge he would first ?tuck up?, which meant that he would put folds in his loose shirt and tuck it under his belt to keep it tight. It was this action and the resulting folds that gave birth to the kilt as part of the traditional Scottish military uniform.

13) About ? it sounds like he?s saying ?Claymore out and abott?. Actually, ?abotte? was an alternate spelling/pronunciation of ?about? at that time.

14) Mechyn Sty in the 16th Century meant ?humble path?. History reports that Mary?s troops charged down a small path and into battle. Remember, sty would be pronounced stay with the Scots accent.

15) Hore ? Filth. The narrator runs down to a field, falls in mud, gets up, runs down a little path and then back into filth that surrounds his feet.

dan masters' interpretation of the story may not be 100% correct, but it makes more sense than the other translations that i've read, so that's what i'll be using. anyway, it shouldn't matter much. i'll probably down a couple of pints before recording that bit (to enhance the scottish accent, of course!) so you probably won't be able to understand me anyhow.

i was thrilled to be a part of the first tribute, and i'm looking forward to making this small contribution to the next. cheers to all of you who are joining in on the fun!

slainte!
I take your points on the language used, and have often wondered what "won tun doon the mucken stain" might refer to, but I think Roger is really just setting us up for the final punchline, which I have always taken to be a Hendrix reference: and the wind cried Mary.