David Gilmour - ON AN ISLAND

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
FromNorth
Blade
Blade

Post by FromNorth »

pinkfloyd73 wrote:Does anybody know if Polly Samson wrote some lyrics for David's new album?
At "Brain Damage" there is a translation of an interview with Zbigniew Preisner. He says:
What are the distinctive features of the new songs?

"Preisner: The climate of the songs is like on "The Division Bell". There are some great, monumental parts, but most of the songs are ballads similiar to "On The Turning Away".

The nostalgic lyrics written by David and his wife Polly are very beautiful. The songs are the sort of diary, the lyrics comprise their reflection on real value and family.

For example, there's a story about a man, who was going to drown, because he couldn't bear his life. And there's a description of David's wonderful, 120-hectare farm with its 500 year old house, where he lives with Polly, his four children and his horses."
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Interesting interview! This little bit made me drool:
I've encouraged them to play together again, but they've made no attempt to hide the differences between them. David even mentioned something about one, big, last, farewell show.
Britain, USA, Poland... feck it, I'd be there!
pinkfloyd73
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd73 »

FromNorth wrote:
pinkfloyd73 wrote:Does anybody know if Polly Samson wrote some lyrics for David's new album?
At "Brain Damage" there is a translation of an interview with Zbigniew Preisner. He says:
What are the distinctive features of the new songs?

"Preisner: The climate of the songs is like on "The Division Bell". There are some great, monumental parts, but most of the songs are ballads similiar to "On The Turning Away".

The nostalgic lyrics written by David and his wife Polly are very beautiful. The songs are the sort of diary, the lyrics comprise their reflection on real value and family.

For example, there's a story about a man, who was going to drown, because he couldn't bear his life. And there's a description of David's wonderful, 120-hectare farm with its 500 year old house, where he lives with Polly, his four children and his horses."
Thanks. :smt023
FromNorth
Blade
Blade

Post by FromNorth »

Could you tell us why you asked this question. There are not so many positive comments about Pollys lyrics. I think it is good news that Polly is writing lyrics for Davids album. Perhaps she continues to write lyrics and I don?t think David can say no to her when she ask him to write the music. :D
DoDo80
Embryo
Embryo

Post by DoDo80 »

WOW i CAn'T wait
Palomafloyd
Knife
Knife

Post by Palomafloyd »

DoDo80 wrote:WOW i CAn'T wait
neither do I !!
pinkfloyd73
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd73 »

FromNorth wrote:
Could you tell us why you asked this question. There are not so many positive comments about Pollys lyrics.
Very simple: curiosity. Is that a crime? :P
Besides, I really liked her contribution for TDB and I don't care about the general opinion. I got my own thoughts. Of course she doesn't write songs like RW, cause he's a genius mind and I aplause him for writing like this.
Anyway, to me Polly has written (w/David) some much more positive lyrics than Rog's.
For example Lost for words means a lot to me, more than Vera or Goodbye Cruel World by the way... :)