David Gilmour US Cinema Concert Screenings

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Financial reasons forced me to miss the show. I fought hard to see DG this past year. Unfortunately, my father and I moving plus ticket brokers pillaging all of the tickets and a bad US economy made it impossible. I kept trying and my father did too but in the end our efforts were all for not.
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

not bad at all for ten bones. i mean it was an enjoyable time. the dang theatre started the show in the middle of the OAI video, and with no sound and the lights up to boot. When they finally got that fixed, the show was up and running and sounded pretty good. I enjoyed the addition of High Hopes that was removed from the BBC version. hope everyone who wanted to see it, got to go!
missbee
Axe
Axe

Post by missbee »

i had a good time. pretty full theatre, even though there was no mention of the movie outside whatsoever. i guess only true fans knew it was going on?

"high hopes" was particularly moving, i thought. of course, "shine on" was amazing. i just wished the whole thing went on longer...

i missed dave in person, too. too broke to get it together...
JT
Blade
Blade

Post by JT »

Tenniru - I can only guess I was in the same theatre you were. And I thought I saw you but didn't want to yell out .... and since I have no idea what you look like (except for the hair) I figured I didn't have good odds. But I did notice a dude with a tremendous amount of hair (not just long, a LOT of hair) wearing a button down shirt.

They started it with the lights on for a while and that was a tad annoying. I enjoyed the "making of" section. They played a lot of the song On an Island and then the concert opened with On an Island so it was like getting that tune back to back. I do like the song, but when you want as much covered as possible you hate to get any overlap.
The highlight of the show for me was Shine On, and the lowlight would have to have been Wearing the Inside out. I like the song, but that performance of it was slightly lacking. Rick's vocals weren't that good on it.
But overall I really enjoyed it.
Blade
Blade

Post by 0010 »

so you know they played the OAI video at the start of the screening. My wife had not seen this before. But she remarked that it was like watching one of those 'In Memory Of' montages. HA! :lol:

I have to agree, if you watch it again with that in mind. Its all slow music and he's relatively old looking and they show like slow motion shots of David with all his friends and what not. The best part is when they show him with Crosby and Nash and it makes me think they are going to say, "These people died this year." And at the end I thought it was going to say, "In Memoriam 1946-2006."

Hilarious!
cwfgocats
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cwfgocats »

I must say, I was disappointed in the concert film last night. My friend and I walked in just as Gilmour was describing working w/ Crosby and Nash. This part of the show as interesting but I wish they would have chosen a later date to film for the concert portion of the movie. It was clear to me that Gilmour on March 7th, the tour opener, was not in top form. His voice was weak(er) on SOYCD and the stage show left a lot to be desired. I was also disappointed in the songs they showed. I mean no Fat Old Sun, which was the highlight of the 4/12 show in Chicago, and no Breathe or Time.
Maybe he was not up to the challenge at that point in time. But to leave out Wish You Were Here in this production was simply inexcusable.

If they would have chosen a US date to show for this movie just think of the improvements

A better Gilmour- when I saw him in Chicago the tour was one month old and in my mind, he was at his best, or at least very good vocally at this point.

A better setlist- Bring on Fat Old Sun, and Coming Back to Life

A better stage show-All of the faults listed above could have been remedied had we got to see Echoes w/ LASERS!!

Also, the Regal I was at had problems w/ the sound system. It would totally cut out at times. Luckily the sound was loud and clear for the best songs of the evening, SOYCD High Hopes and Comfortably Numb.
But Regal made this right by giving every one in attendance 2 free movie passes.

Overall, I left the theatre wanting desperatly to see Gilmour in concert again, knowing that the live show would blow the Regal movie out of the water. And had I not received the freebies, I would have felt like I paid $10 for one song, Comfortably Numb, which in hindsight was about the going rate per song for best seat in the house during his US leg. I'm sure the Royal Albert Hall DVD will be better than the movie last night and I look forward to getting it.

Come back to the US Dave!! Ten dates for states is far too few.
Last edited by cwfgocats on Wed May 17, 2006 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
movement
Axe
Axe

Post by movement »

I was pretty disappointed also for the following reasons:
  • Much like the album, the tempo of the songs never got going. Not one song had even a medium tempo.
  • The sound in the theatre was mediocre. It wasn't nearly loud enough and not very vibrant. My home system and an audience recording or the Meltdown DVD would have sounded better.
  • The set list was really short. I was glad to only hear half of OAI, but the set was, what, an hour long?
That said, there were a few highlights. Gilmour's electric guitar playing was wonderful as always. I was particularly happy with Wright's contributions. His singing on WTIO was spot-on. Also, I never bothered to download the press kit so that was nice to see. But come on, it was barely worth the $10. It was no substitute for seeing him in person.[/list]
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

JT wrote:Tenniru - I can only guess I was in the same theatre you were. And I thought I saw you but didn't want to yell out .... and since I have no idea what you look like (except for the hair) I figured I didn't have good odds. But I did notice a dude with a tremendous amount of hair (not just long, a LOT of hair) wearing a button down shirt.
Yep, that was me. In all my "I look like this specifically to keep people from having any expectations of me" glory.
I would've worn my amazing 1970s olive-green scholar jacket, but it was in the wash.
Nice to see an NPFer this close.