New David Gilmour album!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Jacek
Axe
Axe

New David Gilmour album!

Post by Jacek »

Well damn:

http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?nItemID=47482

"...David Gilmour is working on a new album to possibly be toured in late 2012-2013..." courtesy of a "spokesman of the band."

Is this the first we've heard of this?

New David Gilmour Album
sherer
Axe
Axe

Re: New album!

Post by sherer »

first i've heard of it. On An Island grew on me especially after the live in Gdansk CD so anything new is always welcome
Pink Domino
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink Domino »

Nothing in the linked article says anything about David releasing a new album.

On another subject, it is really tiring having old Rog calling David "obstinate" every chance he gets. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. :roll:
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

Pink Domino wrote:Nothing in the linked article says anything about David releasing a new album.
Yes, there is. It's in the middle paragraph just before they talk about Roger Waters and his Wall tour. They just said that he would tour the album in conjunction with its release.

I am completely stoked for this. I was hoping he would release a new album, but I've had my doubts due to things not being the same with Richard Wright gone. I'm glad he's coming out with more material. I knew I was right to suspect something during the telephone interview he gave just a few months ago.

EDIT: I just went into the NPF archives and dug up something about Polly Samson writing lyrics for Gilmour. I'm starting to see where things connect now.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

the story begins by admitting a previous column was in error in predicting a Floyd reunion at the Olympics, then goes on to repeat already acknowledged erroneous Olympic reunion rumours for several more paragraphs and slips a new rumour about a new album somewhere in the middle

what Dave should do is record an album consisting of Each Small Candle, Flickering Flame, Leaving Beirut and To Kill the Child because Roger sure isnt going to ever get round to it
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

He REALLY got off his chair or stopped spending more time with family? I guess we'll see in 2020.

I mean no disrespect or the man, but GET ON WITH IT!
Jacek
Axe
Axe

Post by Jacek »

J Ed wrote:the story begins by admitting a previous column was in error in predicting a Floyd reunion at the Olympics, then goes on to repeat already acknowledged erroneous Olympic reunion rumours for several more paragraphs and slips a new rumour about a new album somewhere in the middle
Ummmm...
"This is all simply not true," said a spokesman of the band to Outside The Wall. "Roger Waters Tour is in full swing this summer with more shows expected to be released for August in North America, and David Gilmour is working on a new album to possibly be toured in late 2012-2013. These sorts of rumors are spread about like mad every few months and it really disrupts the band members focus on there current projects."
Would they lie outright, and pretend to have received a message from an imagined band spokesman? Real question, by the way. Maybe this is how Pink Floyd-related news works and I'm just not aware of it.

Gilmour lending guitar to Each Small Candle would be a dream come true... make one of Roger's best songs ever even better.
Pink Domino
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pink Domino »

"Roger Waters Tour is in full swing this summer with more shows expected to be released for August in North America, and David Gilmour is working on a new album to possibly be toured in late 2012-2013. "

I stand totally and joyfully corrected about mis-reading the article. Jumping for joy that David is feeling productive. Awaiting with stars in my eyes. Just hoping it's more along the lines of The Orb and there is not an orchestra within earshot <ii> [-D-] \:D/
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Enish wrote:
Pink Domino wrote:I am completely stoked for this. I was hoping he would release a new album, but I've had my doubts due to things not being the same with Richard Wright gone.
Dave's first two solo albums didn't include Wright, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Not disrespecting or doubting Wrights talent if he were still here. Just saying.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

TheFloydian1 wrote:Dave's first two solo albums didn't include Wright, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Not disrespecting or doubting Wrights talent if he were still here. Just saying.
Yes, but that was at a different time in his life. For the past decade up until Wright's death, Gilmour was creating a close partnership with him through the On an Island album and tour. They were probably closer then than they were when Wright became a member of Pink Floyd again. I wouldn't have been surprised if they collaborated on an album together. Gilmour looked broken during his live performance of "Remember a Day" and it looked like it would have taken him longer that it has for him to finally work on some new material.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I shall ask his manager. You never know.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Keith Jordan wrote:I shall ask his manager.
Keith plays the trump card :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

An album has not yet been recorded thus there is no tour booked so nothing to report as of yet.

However, as Polly said in an interview the other month, she has been writing songs with David and I am sure they will be reviewing what they have and perhaps putting an album together at some point in the next year or two. It would be rude not to tour it! :D

So, keep your eyes peeled over the next year or two and you may see another Gilmour album! 8)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Keith Jordan wrote: So, keep your eyes peeled over the next year or two and you may see another Gilmour album! 8)
Well when I'm living in the nuclear ravaged remains of Britain and avoiding the Russian snipers (And here was me thinking they were of no threat!) to steal an out of date tin of beans, I'll be thinking "Well things are bad now, but soon we'll have a new David Gilmour album!" :D
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Enish wrote:
TheFloydian1 wrote:Dave's first two solo albums didn't include Wright, so I'm sure he'll be fine. Not disrespecting or doubting Wrights talent if he were still here. Just saying.
Yes, but that was at a different time in his life. For the past decade up until Wright's death, Gilmour was creating a close partnership with him through the On an Island album and tour. They were probably closer then than they were when Wright became a member of Pink Floyd again. I wouldn't have been surprised if they collaborated on an album together. Gilmour looked broken during his live performance of "Remember a Day" and it looked like it would have taken him longer that it has for him to finally work on some new material.
Well yes, On an Island sounds like a bad Pink Floyd Album to me! Which is a shame because although the band were at thier peak during the 70's, The Division Bell is a brilliant piece of work and marked a real return to form IMHO.
But with Wright gone and no possibility of Dave writing anything with Roger again its good that there is a chance of another album from Gilmour I guess