Grateful Dead Final Shows

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
psychedelicfish
Embryo
Embryo

Grateful Dead Final Shows

Post by psychedelicfish »

Cannot think of a man more qualified to play one of these shows in the place of Jerry than David Gilmour. Wouldn't that be great?
Odins_Echoes
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Grateful Dead Final Shows

Post by Odins_Echoes »

I could see that working. Never heard him play Dead music, or his opinion on them, but his style conjures up the same mood as Garcia. I would love to hear his take of the Dead. "Dark Star" with Gilmour could rival Echoes!
psychedelicfish
Embryo
Embryo

Here in the States if you mention psychedelic music two bands will always be at the forefront, the Dead and PF. Up to and including DSoTM PF was almost exclusively psychedelic. Dave was always the psychedelic influence, while Roger was more political. Back in the day , at least here in the States, both bands had the same fans. If you were a Dead fan, you were also a PF fan and vice versa. I never did understand why the two bands were not better friends than they were. Up to this day the two are always compared with each other, at least here.
Best Wishes
RJ
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

psychedelicfish wrote:Here in the States if you mention psychedelic music two bands will always be at the forefront, the Dead and PF.
I always found this strange; I never saw any similarity.

There was a quote from a Floyd member, possibly Gilmour, that said they (PF) were excited to hear American psychedelic music when touring in the US, but when they got there they found that what was being called "psychedelic" in the US was actually "stoned hippies playing country music" (or something close to this). I've always found this quote amusing.
psychedelicfish
Embryo
Embryo

That kind of surprises me. Guess people really hate country music over there. Small wonder, as that music now represents right wing rednecks driving big pick up trucks. Historically country music was much more working man and rebel oriented. The Dead are guilty as charged of playing a good bit of country in their day. For something good you might listen to "Mama Tried", or "Me and My Uncle". Neither song is overtly psychedelic, but more outlaw oriented.
As far as something that would give you a good idea of the Dead's overtly psychedelic best you might try listening to "Morning Dew", or "Stella Blue".
Both songs to me are very similar to the second half of PF's Saucerful of Secrets. All three of these songs are to me among the songs that best portray the psychedelic experience in music. Start off slow and quietly and build up.
Lots would disagree with me on this but I find the Dead's most psychedelic album to be "American Beauty". The cover title itself can be read in two ways, either "American Beauty" or "American Reality". Look at it for yourself.
The Dead were so to speak the "House Band" of the introduction of Lucy to the USA on the West Coast. Ever heard of Owsley. He was the Dead's soundman. The Dead were there in the beginning of it. Not on the East Coast, but they were playing the early "acid tests", organized by Ken Kesey. Jerry has often been referred to as "Captain Trips."
Still find it a shame that PF and the Dead did not get together. I saw the Dead in 1970 about three weeks before I saw PF at the same venue.
The Dead show was far better only because the cops tried to shut down the Dead and were afraid to shut down the power, but shut off the power on PF almost immediately when they started playing before they could get the crowd going. They finally turned the power back on but the band was unable to really get going afterward.
What you often hear about the Dead is very true, "You have to see them live". (on a good night). Google their "Wall of Sound" Best sound system ever constructed. Not necessarily the loudest, just the best.
Best Wishes
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

David isn't much of an improvisor...you can see when he guests live on some YouTube clips I've seen...