New York GigS

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Follix
Knife
Knife
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Re: New York GigS

Post by Follix »

I agree for ''Time'' I saw in Toronto it didn't really move me... His last MSG I listened on Periscope sounded better tho, even tho he did 2 or 3 bum notes during that particular solo. Again I think I prefer his red strat tone for many songs, the only 2 times the black strat tone blew me away is Echoes (Pompeii/Gdansk) and OAI (RAH/Gdansk

I wouldn't say he is as it's best, the 2006 tour was incredible, so was Pulse, so was Pompeii... It's not very realistic to expect somebody to be at his best at 70 yo.

homeby5
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by homeby5 »

Follix wrote:I agree for ''Time'' I saw in Toronto it didn't really move me... His last MSG I listened on Periscope sounded better tho, even tho he did 2 or 3 bum notes during that particular solo. Again I think I prefer his red strat tone for many songs, the only 2 times the black strat tone blew me away is Echoes (Pompeii/Gdansk) and OAI (RAH/Gdansk

I wouldn't say he is as it's best, the 2006 tour was incredible, so was Pulse, so was Pompeii... It's not very realistic to expect somebody to be at his best at 70 yo.
I know it's all subjective but I do believe he is at his best now. David is not the norm as his playing is very melodic and doesn't rely on raw energy and speed. This is the reason he is still improving with age. Not to say he can't rock as he did during Sorrows. He can still kick it up a notch when needed. Go back and listen to the many bootlegs of when they were touring DSOM or even Animals. Lots of mistakes and his voice sounded out of tune. His era of Pulse was great but his playing on the OAI tour was stunning. His playing on this tour IMO topped that one, mainly because of the myriad of song selections. He didn't feel the need to play the entire new album and really threw in some great classics which he has mastered.
But the main noticable difference is his voice. I swear I have never heard it so smooth. All his songs are still in the original key and he nails 'em.

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by kjek1 »

There's absolutely no way he's at his best. He sounded better on the on an island tour, which is fine because he still sounds great.

His vocals are much rougher now too and he strains too which is understandable given his age, but again it was better in 2006.

Disagree regarding the red strat though, black Strat is king, red strats tones sound a little too smooth and processed to me. Think the black strat sounds more raw and had more character as a result, just my opinion.

Either way he's still sounding great, but for me there's no way he's as good as he was 10 years ago, 2006 his vocals were smoother and he didn't make anywhere near as many gaffs.

homeby5
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by homeby5 »

kjek1 wrote:There's absolutely no way he's at his best. He sounded better on the on an island tour, which is fine because he still sounds great.

His vocals are much rougher now too and he strains too which is understandable given his age, but again it was better in 2006.

Disagree regarding the red strat though, black Strat is king, red strats tones sound a little too smooth and processed to me. Think the black strat sounds more raw and had more character as a result, just my opinion.

Either way he's still sounding great, but for me there's no way he's as good as he was 10 years ago, 2006 his vocals were smoother and he didn't make anywhere near as many gaffs.
Well that settles it then. The all knowing has spoken :roll:

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by kjek1 »

homeby5 wrote:
kjek1 wrote:There's absolutely no way he's at his best. He sounded better on the on an island tour, which is fine because he still sounds great.

His vocals are much rougher now too and he strains too which is understandable given his age, but again it was better in 2006.

Disagree regarding the red strat though, black Strat is king, red strats tones sound a little too smooth and processed to me. Think the black strat sounds more raw and had more character as a result, just my opinion.

Either way he's still sounding great, but for me there's no way he's as good as he was 10 years ago, 2006 his vocals were smoother and he didn't make anywhere near as many gaffs.
Well that settles it then. The all knowing has spoken :roll:
Well these are just my opinions. No reason to be a sarcy knobhead

homeby5
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by homeby5 »

There's absolutely no way he's at his best

Maybe a refresher in english may help. The above quote is in the context of definitive and not subjective.

Follix
Knife
Knife
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Re: New York GigS

Post by Follix »

Well it's kinda true... Much less mistakes in 06 tour and his vocals were better.

He is far from being bad but more inconsistent than before.

homeby5
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by homeby5 »

We all know the numerous mistakes from the early 70's from the various bootlegs. I would love someone to post all of the "mistakes" from this tour along with some raw, unedited footage from '06. Without the comparisons then it's all conjecture.

Follix
Knife
Knife
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Re: New York GigS

Post by Follix »

homeby5 wrote:We all know the numerous mistakes from the early 70's from the various bootlegs. I would love someone to post all of the "mistakes" from this tour along with some raw, unedited footage from '06. Without the comparisons then it's all conjecture.
Well pretty sure this tour you can expect at least 10 noticeable mistake by gigs 3-4 being major...

Out of the 3 times I heard ''Time'' solo there was 5 bum notes.

The show I went too in Toronto he didn't do too much, one noticeable was during ''Faces of stone'' solo the hit the wrong note but bent 1.5 step instead of 1 to compensate the next second. Even ''El Magnifico'' struggle with the 12 strings for WYWH, he screwed the intro more than once.

But again we are all human and it's normal, being an average guitarist myself, I don't even get how pros can make so few mistakes, it's very easy to slip your finger 0.2 inches too near or too far. And you know I've seen Alan Parson last summer and his guitarist did a 2 minutes solo that was totally out of sync with the track, that's much worst than a bum note imo. (Even tho for the average Joe it might be less apparent)

homeby5
Embryo
Embryo
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by homeby5 »

Well...I will admit that my ears are not the best. I front a band playing a guitar and I guess what you consider "bum" notes and what I would consider "bum" notes would be different. I will allow for improvisation and not playing strict interpretations. Now if you are hearing notes that are simply out of key....then all I can say is I didn't hear 'em. He didn't hit all of his ghost notes on every song the way I remember them but I assume he did that on purpose because he added other flairs.
My wife has a near perfect ear and I asked her if she noticed any "bum" notes and she didn't notice any either. But he......We are both over 50 :lol:

Follix
Knife
Knife
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Re: New York GigS

Post by Follix »

^ Maybe you just went to the good gig... I mean I have seen over 80% of the Shows of RTL on Periscope and some nights are definitively better than other nights.

I remember Pula was great, South America in general as well... So were the shows in smaller venues in Chicago and NY.

Also some different songs standout every night: Last LA gig it was ''Sorrow'' and ''Comfortably Numb'', the show I went to in Toronto it was imo ''Faces of Stone'' and ''Money'', I've heard many people say that gig #1 in Chicago ''In Any Tongue'' stole the show.

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by kjek1 »

Excuse me pal but unless I state otherwise everything I say on a subjective matter like this should be taken as my opinion. I'm also really struggling to give a shit how many mistakes he made in the 70's. From seeing him live on his 2006 tour and current your AND from the countless bootlegs I own I personally notice fewer errors on the 87-89 Floyd tour, the 94 tour and his 2006 tour, thus for me his recent tour isn't his "best" form. Simple as that really, however you are of course very welcome to disagree with me, but again since you did take the sarcy knob route I thought I'd be a child and do likewise.

You might be right about having different interpretations of a bum note though, for me when Dave plays a note that's well out of tune with his band it's a bum note, when he misses a note completely or buzzes a string, to me that's a bum note. Most of the time you can see these aren't intentional so from that alone I would classify them as errors and not improv.

I'd never have a real go at him for making a few mistakes, especially not at 70 years old, because I have a lot of respect for players like him who improvise live and don't just stick to the same standard solo.

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by kjek1 »

Ps. I noticed Manzanera making some errors during the Wish You Were Here intro and in his defence, it's deceptively tricky to get right.

Follix
Knife
Knife
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Re: New York GigS

Post by Follix »

No I think it's easy stuff for a pro guitarist. But I think it as more to do with a 12 strings, he probably doesn't practice it 5 hours a day so it's somewhat normal.

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 9:46 am

Re: New York GigS

Post by kjek1 »

Follix wrote:No I think it's easy stuff for a pro guitarist. But I think it as more to do with a 12 strings, he probably doesn't practice it 5 hours a day so it's somewhat normal.
Yeah but that's the point, it's on a 12 string and it's as easy as it sounds. I'm sure if he was playing it on a 6 string he'd have no bother at all!