Anyone listened to Ca Ira recently?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone listened to Ca Ira recently?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I listened to mine (and watched the DVD) a couple of times in the first week when I got it but havent bothered since! :o I am going to give it another listen all the way through now whilst I am working.

Anyone else had a similar experience in not listening to it much?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Yes, the same here. It's not that I don't like it, I've just been busy with other music!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I actually listened to it straight through the night before Daves album came out
its alot of work slogging through it
I wish he put out a proper coffee table size book with the lyrics, the plot, more of Nadine RodaGil'sartwork, and the slides that were projected for that Rome show
such a visual aid would make it more fun to follow for the 2 hours needed

Daves album may have less Important Ideas but its alot more inviting to listen to in the background on repeat!
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

I,too,listened to Ca Ira three or four times on purchase,found it a little inpenetrable and put it away.Around Christmas,I found the time to watch the DVD and this got me into it again and I found a lot of the melodies and themes had stuck with me from those first listens-usually the sign of a good album.I dug it out again yesterday and was pleased I did.Some of the themes in Acts 1 and 2 are very memorable and,along with the opening,the section in Act 2 from The Letter to Silver,Sugar and Indigo is great-if only because it reminds an uncultured bum such as me of the poise and bombast of the author's day job! Still can't get totally into Act 3 which is a shame as this is the bit where it's all kicking off! I find the melodies here are either repeated from earlier or just not quite as dramatic and memorable as those in the first two acts.I would have preferred a metaphoric spitfire crash or two at the end rather than the more muted conclusion! Haven't quite had the time yet to listen to it with the synopsis and libretto to refer to and I'm sure this will bring it even more into life and context.I would imagine it's astonishing live,too and I'm really looking forward to the promised Cardiff performance in October.Wonder if the cast'll encore with Echoes?!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Have not tried in months...I simply don't like the singing. I like classical music, but, I'm not keen on opera or musicals for the most part (Rocky Horror Picture Show is as much as I can tolerate).

Good words...love to hear Roger doing his own stripped down, slightly altered versions of some songs.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Looks like this one is like The Wall Live in Berlin (used stores used to consider it a White Elephant)...

So, any big Ca Ira fans here or what?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I came across a copy the other day at the mall...they still want thirty bucks for it.

No offense to Rog, but the next disc set that I spend thirty bucks on is more likely to be the deluxe package of Who's Next before it is the dabblings of a hero of mine in a musical form that I don't partake of.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

mosespa wrote:I came across a copy the other day at the mall...they still want thirty bucks for it.

No offense to Rog, but the next disc set that I spend thirty bucks on is more likely to be the deluxe package of Who's Next before it is the dabblings of a hero of mine in a musical form that I don't partake of.
Yeah, that is about the size of it for me too. Don't like operatic vocals so the album (which I bought for about US$20) has not got a lot for me on it.
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

I've tried it three times now figuring that the first couple of attempts would be a kind of "easing into it" period. But just as with a bath of ice cold water it doesn't matter how many times you try... it's still gonna be uncomfortable.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

Yes and I love it, wonderful, I like classical music, and I also like opera, so it is nice to hear it.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

i listen to it about once a month, i love it, a great piece of music to listen to when chilling in your hammock...
ultraviolet
Blade
Blade

Post by ultraviolet »

I do like classical music, but I just find Ca Ira pedestrian. I want to like it, but it doesn't capture my imagination at all, even after several listens. Maybe it's just that the subject matter reminds me of school history exams :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Got it a couple of months ago for a fiver and not listened beyond the first half of CD 1 yet... Couldn't see it being my cup of tea really
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

With all due respect towards Rog, theres much better choices of classical music out there...if one gets a bit hungry for it.
Ca Ira sits on my shelf and collects dust...on the other hand I love occasionaly Vivaldi, Verdi, Handel, Beethoven, Orff 'n shit in my cd player...lol (my mum whas a music teacher and had great aspirations to become an opera singer...but then she got married...bummer).
So basically, i grew up with classical sounds in my ears.
I guess its great to say I made an opera during my career...but no thank you...I like good ol rock Rog.
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

I watched the DVD last night after this thread re-peaked my interest.
I like the DVD better than the CD apparently. I tried ( again ) to like this and through it on this morning. It's dramatic, well written and well performed but alas it is not memorable. And thats the kicker right there...