Magny Cours Show? Anyone got any information, bootlegs?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
DoctorFloyd

Magny Cours Show? Anyone got any information, bootlegs?

Post by DoctorFloyd »

This was last night, and the biggest of the Roger Waters shows...no one has posted anything? Anyone go? Hear anything?
r4ndy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by r4ndy »

I was at the show and overall the show was just okay, I would give it 7 out of 10. The show opened with a great version of In the Flesh with Roger swaggering around the stage and really getting in to the song and then Shine On came shortly thereafter and was also very cool as was Have A Cigar. The only other song I thought was awesome was Sheep. The encore was pretty good, with several songs from the Wall. Set the controls for the heart of the sun was decent, but other than that I found most of the music to be mediocre. I went in with really high expectations and must say I was disappointed. The band was below par and did not seem to get into it.

The guitarists sucked and the keyboardist's vocals were equally crappy. It was really hard to get into the Dark Side portion of the show with such horrible vocals and equally bad guitar work. Several of the solos were lame attempts at note for note copies with both guitarists playing the solo at the same time. Neither could truly replicate the solos and at times they would get out of sync. It seemed like they were trying really hard to imitate the album, but just couldn't do it. At first I thought Roger wouldn't let them cut loose, but during the encore the guitarists tried to trade solos and it was very disjointed with neither having anything expressive to say. The energy level was really low aside from Roger, the sax player seemed like he was completely uninterested in the whole affair, barely getting through the solos. Aside from Roger the only ones who seemed to be getting into it were the backup singers who were great.

Having seen Gilmour at the first Rosemont show, I would have to say David is putting on the better show. You can see he and the band are getting in to the music, while Roger?s band seemed uninspired and underpowered. I did not tape the show, I was too chicken to try in a foreign country and I also left the camera in the car. A guy in front of me got kicked out after being warned to stop recording the show with a camcorder while another guy was asked to stop and did. They were also letting people take pictures, unless you had a high-end camera so I suspect some pictures will show up shortly. Security were searching the crowd going straight to people with recording devices, it seemed like they had a spotter somewhere.

I saw Roger's last two tours and thought they were much better. Having said all this, I would not trade the experience; I was fortunate enough to have my first (and hopefully not last) European vacation from the States coincide with this show and drove through almost half of France to see the show. Just hearing a killer version of Sheep under the stars in France was worth it to me. I did find it odd that Roger said next to nothing about Syd, although his image was displayed during Shine On.
hsed
Axe
Axe

Post by hsed »

i think they were just off that night. i've listened to several of their shows and I think they've done a very acceptable job. true the musicianship is not quite up to Gilmour's level, but the energy and feel of the shows cannot be beat IMHO.
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

They were certainly fantastic at Hyde Park - I was under the impression that the french gig was going to be a special one? Maybe it was just like any other then...except with bad performances..:S
lando2k
Axe
Axe

Post by lando2k »

i was there, too. primarily i went there, because of the grand prix.

the show started after a thunderstorm. for me the gig was a very relaxing experience, after a hot day.

the setlist was more or less the same, as at the other shows.

of course i would be interested in a roio...
chuckmein
Axe
Axe

Post by chuckmein »

http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305

Roger Waters -Magny-Cours (toute la soir?e,c'est pour Syd,evidemment)14 juillet 2006

I have listened to this and the quality is 7-8.

Chuck