Roger Waters The Wall Concerts in 2010 and 2011

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.

Would you go and watch Roger doing The Wall live in 2010?

Yes Definiately!
77%
Possibly
12%
Indifferent
3%
Probably not
4%
Absolutely not!
3%

Total votes: 121

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Roger Waters The Wall Concerts in 2010

Post by Damn!t »

Turns out alot of you oldtimers were at that gig.
Draf, J Ed, Green devil.... maybee we should start a Berlin Wall memories thread to see what really happend there. :lol:
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

I ate a large amount of squidgy black thinking it was licorice, amongst other adventures... :lol:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Apart from 12 hours stood in a dusty bowl on a hot day with wery little to drink we spent around 30 hours in a hot coach with little to drink.

The 3 star luxury hotel was east german luxury - a room with a chair and a shower with no curtain so it sprayed everywhere. We arrived so late there was no point going to bed and breakfast was a dried roll and some cheese – nice.

the hooters were good - the marching bands were impressive - the sound was poor where we were stood - the visuals were good though and the atmosphere was electric.

Had a good time
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

We did a 2 night stay, so it wasn't so rushed. More time for our coach drivers to get pissed and stoned with the rest of us! <.8.> :D

Yeah, it was a long, hot day but we took plenty of beer and smokes and met some amazingly happy East Germans. They were usually so miserable - don't know what got into them. :lol:
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

That must be pretty cool of you to see the historic show! Back in 1990, I wasn't even a PF fan, yet as I still listened to INXS and... Randy Travis. :lol: <.8.>

I, of course, gotta ask: what did you think of Cindi Lauper's tight skirt revealing her nice legs??? :lol:

Back on topic, I would probably only hope for the Waters solo 2010 Wall Tour for now. But if the three remaining members are still talking and actually get along as well as other convincing things, I don't see why they can't tour as Pink Floyd - with Jon Carin and Harry Waters doing the keyboard duties - as a final farewell tour/Syd & Rick tributes. Very unrealistic since the original tour got the band to lose money and IMO, there really is no more PF with Rick's absency as he is the only member to be known to have performed on all live shows since apparently Nick was out sick on a few shows...
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

hope he does an encore this time
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I told the story of my Berlin Wall adventure in one of the first posts I ever made in this forum
though that storys more about how I got there and all the memories tied up with the experience... I know Ive droned on about the actual experience at the concert elsewhere ... the DVD cant even capture the immediate geographic context of that event, let alone the unique historic moment ... you literally had to be there
and I still never learned the name of the first opening act, the soul group with the vocal harmonies and the hammond organ

yall predict alleged future Wall shows as being scaled down?
the Berlin Wall show was on a much huger scale than the original Wall shows
I understood the 80/81 Wall shows were held in smaller (indoor) venues than theyd played during the last couple of tours, as Roger was disillusioned with the stadium scene
so instead of filling one gi-normous venue for a night, they played a smaller venue for a week straight, like a theatrical run
Rogers recent tours have been in venues at least that big (eg Torontos Air Canada Centre) , so why are we assuming the alleged new Wall shows would be scaled down?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The berlin show was a one-off event, for that reason he was able to make it huge. If he is planning to tour the wall in 2010, I think he would need to scale down things a lot, for monetary reasons.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

J Ed wrote: the DVD cant even capture the immediate geographic context of that event, let alone the unique historic moment ... you literally had to be there
The shear size of the venue struck me - ive been to outdoor shows like knebworth etc but this seemed so much bigger and a reported audience of around 250000 was impressive as well. i don't remember the opening act - the first band I really remember were the hooters
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

the Wall itself seemed endless, and there were many aerial flybys coordinated with the music, and marching bands that paraded across the very long stage ... as I recall the Scorpions entered in what appeared to be a big Gestapo car

the geographic context was that the show was held in the historically loaded locale of Potsdamer Platz, a site which must hold as many ghosts as Pompeii but much more recent
theres a huge Wikipedia article on Potsdamer Platz, which I only just skimmed, but I recommend for those interested in such thangs ... among other details Hitlers bunker was rumoured to be under the spot
the stage was along a bend in the Wall, immediately to the south of the Brandenburg Tor and a few blocks to the west of Checkpoint Charlie
Rogers Wall was literally on top of the ruins of the Soviets wall, and the audience was on the Western side looking towards the communist side ... hundreds of people were visible on the East Berlin rooftops watching the concert from behind
and I recall the gates were knocked down before the show was over, so 10s of 1000s more could force themselves closer (marginally) to the stage
someone on FlickR helpfully uploaded these graphics (thanks to the uploaders):
you see Potsdamer Platz labelled close to the topleft?
so Im thinking Rogers stage may actually have been closer to whats labelled the inner wall, and that big empty area would have been where the audience was?
hell I cant figure it out, but the airphotos apparantly from 1989, so aside from the real Wall being mostly dismantled the buildings should be mostly the same a year later
the Berlin government was just debating what to do with the lands near the Wall when Roger held his concert, and there were zany looking squatter camps right next to Checkpoint Charlie
and if Im following their conversation correctly, this is what the future site of Rogers concert looked like in 1975
and this is what it looks like now
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Looks like his manager confirmed the plans to tour The Wall in 2010/11! <ii> at least pinkfloydz say so
floyd_beatles_95
Hammer
Hammer

Post by floyd_beatles_95 »

Yucateco wrote:Looks like his manager confirmed the plans to tour The Wall in 2010/11! <ii> at least pinkfloydz say so
Let's hope so! <ii>
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I had an email from Roger's manager yesterday saying Roger is considering touring The Wall in 2010 and 2011. Excellent news.
kahoutek
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Roger Waters The Wall Concerts in 2010 and 2011

Post by kahoutek »

On the one hand I'm pleased for those that missed it first time around. I was lucky enough to see it at Earl's Court and unlucky enough to attend the shambles in Berlin but there are many fans who weren't lucky then or weren't even born in 80/81. But on the other hand I just wish he'd move on. I mean, do we really need this? I'd far rather hear something new.
floyd_beatles_95
Hammer
Hammer

Post by floyd_beatles_95 »

Keith Jordan wrote:I had an email from Roger's manager yesterday saying Roger is considering touring The Wall in 2010 and 2011. Excellent news.
Excellent, indeed! \:D/