New Roger Waters album?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mosespa

Re: New Roger Waters album?

Post by mosespa »

RonToon wrote:
mosespa wrote: There were plans to tour The Final Cut before they got scrapped due to lack on interest on the band's part...
I don't believe that a tour of The Final Cut was ever planned or even discussed. If you have some evidence (a quote?) to back up this statement perhaps you'd be good enough to post it?
I recall it being mentioned in the Schaffner book. Unfortunately, I don't have my copy of it immediately handy, so cannot provide page numbers and such.

But it was either the Schaffner or Dallas book which I recall making mention of it.
Was he bordering on 70 when he released those albums?

It's a different game now for him. No more tours doesn't equal retirement, necessarily.
No, he was not bordering on 70 when he released those albums. I fail to see what difference this makes. *shrug*

No more tours may not equal retirement, but considering that an artist makes mere pennies on the dollar for album sales, it's long been understood that tours are where artists really make their money.

At the beginning, anyway. Maybe Waters catalogue is selling/has been selling well enough that he doesn't necessarily need the money from a tour...but, I still can't see a guy who isn't going to tour anymore blithely releasing a new album which he can probably bet will cause people to demand a tour from him.

Also...I recall reading/hearing several times about some poetry that he's been working on. Perhaps writing poetry is his new creative outlet.

After all, publishing a book of poetry can satisfy that creative urge without having to rely on other musicians to show up and learn how to play stuff properly.
Naughtrish
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Naughtrish »

I can´t remember where I read that he might tour but in much smaller places.
I would love a book from him, with his poetry, a novel, short story, the phone book, whatever he is up to writing :lol:
And he definitely should team up with Snowy and make a blues album!
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

my breakfast. wrote:I feel that whilst we have more rare Floyd at our fingertips now than back then there is also some sort of community missing.
How so? I'm curious because I feel the opposite way. The internet has created international communities like Yeeshkul that bring collectors of live Floyd material closer together... not to mention forums like this.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

mosespa wrote:No, he was not bordering on 70 when he released those albums. I fail to see what difference this makes. *shrug*
The difference is that at that advance age there are some things that are more difficult for a man to do. Jumping around a stage several nights a week and taking flights from city to city or country to country each week is a lot more easier to do when you are younger. Sitting on a studio with some friends drinking some fine wine while playing the acoustic guitar and singing for a couple of nights over are month or so is something the average grampa wouldn't mind doing.
mosespa wrote:No more tours may not equal retirement, but considering that an artist makes mere pennies on the dollar for album sales, it's long been understood that tours are where artists really make their money.
You are right, but I don't think that money would be good reason enough for Roger (or any other serious artist) to release an album. I for one don't think that money was the reason why Gilmour recorded On An Island a couple of years ago, for big shots billonaires like them it's more a matter of either ego or real creative urge. I really think that despite all the success of his recent tours Roger must still feel the need inside him of proving to the world, himself and perhaps even his ex-bandmates, that as a solo artist he hasn't been a creative spent force for the last two decades.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

danielcaux wrote:I really think that despite all the success of his recent tours Roger must still feel the need inside him of proving to the world, himself and perhaps even his ex-bandmates, that as a solo artist he hasn't been a creative spent force for the last two decades.
That sounds like the thing Roger is likely to do.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:
mosespa wrote:I really think that despite all the success of his recent tours Roger must still feel the need inside him of proving to the world, himself and perhaps even his ex-bandmates, that as a solo artist he hasn't been a creative spent force for the last two decades.
But he IS a creatively spent force in regards to writing/releasing any decent material as a solo artist. The drips and drabs we've been getting over the past decade are hardly relevant or up to his past Floydian glories. His creative force seems to be validated these days by having to resort to touring classic Floyd material (DSOTM, The Wall) with new state of the art presentations. IMO.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

RonToon wrote:
danielcaux wrote:really think that despite all the success of his recent tours Roger must still feel the need inside him of proving to the world, himself and perhaps even his ex-bandmates, that as a solo artist he hasn't been a creative spent force for the last two decades.
But he IS a creatively spent force in regards to writing/releasing any decent material as a solo artist. The drips and drabs we've been getting over the past decade are hardly relevant or up to his past Floydian glories. His creative force seems to be validated these days by having to resort to touring classic Floyd material (DSOTM, The Wall) with new state of the art presentations. IMO.
Exactly, and I don't think his ego/self-esteem is OK with that. He said some time ago that he has written lots of songs during the last decade (something I honestly doubt though) but is waiting for a concept to link all of them or something like that... so he still has to prove that or else he would make himself look like a fool... and not "The Genius Behind Pink Floyd"
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

danielcaux wrote:Exactly, and I don't think his ego/self-esteem is OK with that. He said some time ago that he has written lots of songs during the last decade (something I honestly doubt though) but is waiting for a concept to link all of them or something like that... so he still has to prove that or else he would make himself look like a fool... and not "The Genius Behind Pink Floyd"
Well in all fairness, during their most popular period (DSOTM > The Wall) he was (one of) the creative genius(es) behind Pink Floyd. But that pretty much ended after original The Wall tour. Waters has seen the light... the big bucks and all the love and adoration come from touring/reinventing past glories. I don't think that most of the people who attended these recent shows would be interested in any new material. Even Amused To Death (the best of his flawed solo efforts) didn't capture the crowd's attention during his past solo tours as evidenced by the mass exodus of folks taking a bathroom break or buying more beer when songs from that album were performed live.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Old man is on again about the new album, tour and stuff.
Thanks Werner.

READ IT!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/arts/ ... wanted=all
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

his comments about gilmour-Floyd are also very interesting
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

Damn!t wrote:Old man is on again about the new album, tour and stuff.
Thanks Werner.

READ IT!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/arts/ ... wanted=all

Wow, never mind all that about an album. This is the first serious talk about bringing the show back to Europe, isnt it?
Last thing I heard he thought he would be all Walled out after this recent set of shows. This seems to suggest its just about making the numbers add up.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I like this....
Q. Do you hope to work on that album when the tour ends on July 21?

A. Yes. If I don’t work on it later this year, it might disappear, and I might never do anything again. So I think I have to and I’m very enthusiastic about it. And it encompasses a lot of the other songs I’ve written over the years. There are tons of them. I just never found a big enough hook to hang them around.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

Spoke with most of the band tonight and it seems that the 2013 tour is still not set in stone. Still working on the finances and venues. But I'd still bet on it! \:D/
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

In a way you could say it was a great tipping of the hat because they were going all around the world playing my songs — and some of their songs
Thats the kind of comment I hate seeing from Roger.

It gives off the impression he actually did write all the songs while the others just showed up to record and tour.

He should at least emphasise that hes talking about lyrical content and the other members contributed equally too much of the most famous music.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

If you hate Roger so much and bash any Waters related topic or comment, then why you post? :roll: