The Wall Live (2010-2013) Blu-ray/DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Re: The Wall Live (2010-2013) Blu-ray/DVD

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

drafsack wrote:
siderealxxx wrote:My issue though is that the documentary features are all well and good to watch once or twice, but not every time you want to watch a concert of one of your favourite albums. When I was a teenager I watched Pulse on VHS endlessly because I loved the songs. Music lives and breaths and can be listened to countless times... Documentary is only interesting so many times.

Above all though The Wall is a timeless concept album, perhaps the greatest ever, with a clear linear narrative we know and love so I don't understand why it needs supplementing with footage breaking it up which we can't choose to remove.

I saw the shows 3 times and it was excellent and I'd be very keen to see all the features, but not every time I want to watch The Wall. If I put The Wall on I want to hear The Wall. I'm a purist!
Look around the net there are some very good unofficial versions of the shows - especially the Wembley 14 show

Yes, and also that guy, Roon toon as I used to call him, who dosen't seem to be around anymore, made a great multi camera one from Chicago on youtube.
I understand what you mean about the documentary parts only good to watch once. But I think Roger was trying to do something different here and it does work okay in Led Zeps "song remains the same" which aslo breaks away from the live footage. So its nothing new.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Isntthiswherewe wrote: I understand what you mean about the documentary parts only good to watch once. But I think Roger was trying to do something different here and it does work okay in Led Zeps "song remains the same" which aslo breaks away from the live footage. So its nothing new.
But at least Roger's documentary parts are more grounded in reality than the stuff in "The Song Remains The Same"!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

siderealxxx wrote:Documentary is only interesting so many times.
So is 'The Wall'.

While I agree that the documentary parts in it would probably become old after a short while (I've only seen it once, in theater), it's what makes it different in an endless sea of 'The Wall' versions. If there were no documentary parts it would become boring much too sooner.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Hudini wrote: While I agree that the documentary parts in it would probably become old after a short while (I've only seen it once, in theater), it's what makes it different in an endless sea of 'The Wall' versions. If there were no documentary parts it would become boring much too sooner.
No disrespect, but I think hald The Wall dislikes come from people who don't "get" the concept of it as they have not experienced it.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Who said anything about disliking 'The Wall'? It's a timeless piece of musical work but even as such it can be sold as new only a finite number of times. Unless an artist finds a way to say something new through old work, rehashes and retellings usually become boring pretty fast, and that unfortunately applies to 'The Wall' too.

So far we've had quite a few different official versions of it, including the original album; the original tour; the film; the Berlin show; an album and a video of the Berlin show; the live album from the original tour; a box set including the original album, live album and two different demo versions of it all; Roger's tour and Roger's film. How long before a version that has nothing that would add to the experience to say?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Well the Blu-Ray and soundtrack album probably puts the tin lid on it. Everything has been bled out that was possible to bleed out of the whole thing. There's even action figures! (Not of the band though)
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

There's still the original tour footage to be officially released. Then there's the West End/Broadway adaptation, which no doubt will spawn a Cast Recording album, and maybe a DVD of the show.

Once they're out of the way, I think that's when Roger can put The Wall to sleep.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Get ready to laugh! I didn't get either the DVD or CD! Merry Christmas NPF! :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Get ready to laugh! I didn't get either the DVD or CD! Merry Christmas NPF! :lol:
Wait, there's New Year's Eve coming up ;) (if you give presents on that eve).
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

This Friday I can post here properly!
I saw it the DVD with the same friend I saw it at the cinema with, last night.
It really is excellent.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Hudini wrote:Who said anything about disliking 'The Wall'? It's a timeless piece of musical work but even as such it can be sold as new only a finite number of times. Unless an artist finds a way to say something new through old work, rehashes and retellings usually become boring pretty fast, and that unfortunately applies to 'The Wall' too.
Normally if there's music you like you revisit it at least once in a while.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

I can finally post a lot more in this thread now as I've got the DVD. <ii> I'll wait until later in the night to watch it!
Just the standard DVD though, but good to see the soundtrack CD is also out as well. There didn't seem any differences between the special features between the DVD and Blu-Ray thanks to Roger's contempt for people asking him if he'll ever rejoin Pink Floyd and making them fork out extra for the Deluxe! :lol:
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

This is going to come as a shock, but I prefer the non-musical portions of this to the show.

The band sounds tired on this DVD. I am especially underwhelmed by the background singers.

When I saw the first leg of The Wall tour, it was very high energy. This recording sounds too polished, too slow, and at times I can feel the performance crawling to a stop.

Back to the singers: I hate, hate the way they perform Goodbye Blue Sky, there's no power to the vocals (for and aft) and they sound nasally. I wasn't impressed with their physical condition, either, most of them chunky and trying to cover it up with baggy t-shirts which doesn't seem professional to me (props to Snowy and GE for keeping in shape for the tour).

The sound lacks a certain rawness and energy.

I adore the non-musical portions of this. So touching.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Flathead wrote:...most of them chunky and trying to cover it up with baggy t-shirts...
If only you'd attended junior high with me...
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:This is going to come as a shock, but I prefer the non-musical portions of this to the show.

The band sounds tired on this DVD. I am especially underwhelmed by the background singers.

When I saw the first leg of The Wall tour, it was very high energy. This recording sounds too polished, too slow, and at times I can feel the performance crawling to a stop.

Back to the singers: I hate, hate the way they perform Goodbye Blue Sky, there's no power to the vocals (for and aft) and they sound nasally. I wasn't impressed with their physical condition, either, most of them chunky and trying to cover it up with baggy t-shirts which doesn't seem professional to me (props to Snowy and GE for keeping in shape for the tour).

The sound lacks a certain rawness and energy.

I adore the non-musical portions of this. So touching.
You can say any number of ridiculous things and trust me, it would never come as a shock.

You will never get the energy of being at a live performance, on a DVD. I was at his Wembley gig and I thought they did a great job of capturing the essence of what it was like to be there, as best they could.

The non musical portions are okay but a lot of the acted out stuff is pretty guff if I'm honest. Roger sitting at the bar with the French speaking barman etc, my daddies dead wah wah, come on Roger there's enough of that in the show itself zzzz

In saying that, i loved the opening, and I was genuinely moved by the footage of him taking his children to their Grandfather's grave, fantastic stuff.