New Roger News!

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

New Roger News!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Nearly two dozen years have passed since Roger Waters last put out a rock album, 1992's Amused to Death. Now, the former Pink Floyd singer-songwriter is planning on ending the drought in a unique way.

Roger Waters' 'The Wall' Roger Waters' 'The Wall' to Screen in Cinemas Worldwide »
During a soon-to-be-published, in-depth interview with Rolling Stone about the upcoming theatrical release of his concert film Roger Waters The Wall, the singer, 72, revealed that he's been writing rock songs and a script for an as-yet-untitled "radio play." Excerpts from the work could make up a new album, and he thinks the radio play could become an arena show, much like his recent blockbuster revival of The Wall. "I can see it in my mind's eye," he says.

The drama will revolve around two characters, generations apart, who live in Belfast, Northern Ireland. "It's a grandfather, and he is a bit of a misanthrope, and he's complaining – maybe he's me – about a war he's watching on TV," Waters says. "He's sitting there with his dog, drinking whiskey, and then this kid wakes up and you realize he's babysitting. The kid is having a nightmare and the nightmare is that they're killing the children and the grandfather says, 'No, no, they aren't killing the children, not for 20 years,' since it is in Northern Ireland, where they had the Troubles.

"The kid says, 'No, not here, Grandpa. Over there,'" he continues. "And so the grandfather promises the child to find out what's happening, and he gets him to go back to sleep, reads a bit of Winnie the Pooh, which I always do on my records. And the rest of the record is the grandfather and the kid going on a magic carpet ride to see if they can find an answer to that question: 'Why are they killing the children?'"

The project's themes will be familiar to Waters fans who have followed his sentiments over the years. Largely, he says, it will reflect an "antipathy" toward organized religion and war, with one song evoking drones.

Waters cut demo recordings of his proposed songs in Los Angeles a few weeks ago with Nigel Godrich, the recording engineer and producer best known for his work with Radiohead. Godrich also mixed the music in the film Roger Waters The Wall, for which the singer says "he did a great job."

Asked when the radio play will be finished, Waters shrugs. "I don't know," he says. "Shit's not easy."

Fans who are eager to hear what it could sound like should listen to "Crystal Clear Brooks," a tune he premiered recently at this year's Newport Folk Festival. Waters says when the time comes, that song could make it into the radio play.

Waters had previously said that he was working on an album called Heartland, an idea he has not totally abandoned. Heartland, he clarifies, was actually a poem he wrote around the time George W. Bush was reelected, and that poem might yet crop up in the new project.

Once the work is complete, the singer is willing to consider a big tour to support it. "I'd like to do one more if I can," he says. "I think I've got one more in me."
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3m7Q4UBMc

<.8.> It's really happening! He's... Got Back To Radio!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: New Roger News!

Post by Damn!t »

I thought I would read something about his divorce...

Ah, well... :D
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

"Shit's not easy."
That sounds promising. \:D/
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Hudini wrote:
"Shit's not easy."
That sounds promising. \:D/
Best quote in ages :D

Roger has been feeding us promises for a while, but we're all suckers, aren't we!?
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Well I'm hoping for something. Dave is on an upward trend, I'd hope that Roger would produce something great and perhaps have his own No. 1. solo album. Not that sales mean much, but with the market what it is now, I think he'd have a chance.