Getting Depressed?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Re: Getting Depressed?

Post by David Smith »

my breakfast. wrote:I read Grace Slick's autobiography, and she suggests that maybe we should envy the old acid casualties as they could have moved onto a much better world inside their own heads, and were now laughing at us
What an absurdly romantisised view of mental illness. Impaired brain processing and communications with the outside world, god i wish i was one of them. Does old Grace imagine a world of fluffy bunnies or something in there?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

David Smith wrote: Does old Grace imagine a world of fluffy bunnies or something in there?
I think not, as she is almost 70 years old, looks like hell, and is totally into her art (which sells for a fortune, btw :) ) I am not sure when the autobiography was written, but my guess is that it was a quite a while ago.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Syd'sSexy wrote:
David Smith wrote: Does old Grace imagine a world of fluffy bunnies or something in there?
I think not, as she is almost 70 years old, looks like hell, and is totally into her art (which sells for a fortune, btw :) ) I am not sure when the autobiography was written, but my guess is that it was a quite a while ago.
That autobiography is less than 10 years old, and reads like a "how to be a liberal retard" handbook. Her paintings are shit beyond redemption btw.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

has anyone here watched a Beutiful Mind with Russell Crowe?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Is that the one where he goes fighting round the world? :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDMiiWdDneo for anyone who doesn't know what i'm talking about
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

no he had what Syd had.......but he choose to defeat it......and he did..........
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

haw haw Russell Crowes tugboat reminds me of Paris Hiltons chihuahua
Im going to try that gag next time somebody wont stop babbling at a meeting at work, should be good for one last cheap laff
Yownas
Blade
Blade

Post by Yownas »

greensubmarine wrote:but like have any of you become obsessed with his story to the point of almost making yourself depressed?
Hm. It is more the other way around.

As a post-teen I discovered Syd and his music and started to read about him and discovered things about him that made me to relate to him. Like him I felt that I had lyrics, images and ideas that needed to "get out". And when they were placed on paper or in a piece of software they troubled me no more. I have a memory of one such image, that followed me for years and in my head it was full of colour and details... jotted it down on a piece of paper, though: "Oh, that looked nice" and never though about it again. I think Syd was a bit like that, he didn't paint or write song just because he was very good at it or needed the money or fame that came with it. I think he just needed to get it out of his head.

And getting kicked out (or, rather not picked up) was maybe not as sad as one might think. I feel that Syd might have been done with Pink Floyd and he felt he didn't need it anymore. I think "Have you got it yet?" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreleased_Pink_Floyd) is a clue to that.

His life after that?... I think that Syd lived as he wanted to live. With a child-like view on life, not constrained by all the rules most of us think we must follow. (Just look at the furniture that was auctioned out after his death.)

Don't feel sad for Syd. He had his ups and downs, but all in all I think he did better than most people.
King Offa
Embryo
Embryo

Post by King Offa »

Yownas wrote:With a child-like view on life, not constrained by all the rules most of us think we must follow
:smt060
mandy35353535353
Knife
Knife

Post by mandy35353535353 »

I certainly hope he was a happy little man. The thought of him being sad makes me want to cry. I like yourself have read lots about him, and that makes me love him even more.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Yes, last year. I just got into Pink Floyd and classic rock (mostly because of Syd), and I became so obsessed, observing even the slightest similarties in our lives, to the point I got depressed. It was only after accpeting the fact that Syd was eventually happy with his life, that he didn't suffer in his eyes, that I was comforted. In a way, looking back on that period, I liked it in that weird way, but I don't think I would want to go through it again intentionally.