Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

Post by theshockofthenew »

Apparently the powers that be (a British film studio one would guess) have finally decided to commit Syd Barrett's story to film. I don't think the script is based on Tom Stoppard's 'Crazy Diamond' screen play so I'm not sure what to expect. Actually, I seriously hope they focus on his creativity rather than the whole sad "drug casualty" story. Here's hoping it comes out more like a 'Control' than 'The Doors', if you know what I mean?

Anyway, Barrett is to be played by a Canadian musician named Chris Fields though I think those of you in Britain might be more familiar with him then we are here seeing as he records and lives in London now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Field

*Thanks to Party of Clowns for supplying this info on another Barrett related forum*
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Barrett Bio-Pic in the Works

Post by Keith Jordan »

It is a piece of news on Chris Field's website too.

http://www.chris-field.com/news.html

Some news from MTV Italy.....

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... ws%3D22555
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Did this dude ever have a song called "All The Drugs In The World?"

Because if so, I remember hearing something about him (I think it may have even been at this very forum,) back around the time I first joined up...I download some of his music and was NOT terribly impressed at all.

I found the fact that he was being compared with Syd Barrett rather odious, in fact.

If it's the same guy, that is.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'll reserve judgement though I'm not confident that it will be good. Most of these music biopics are awful IMHO. It was inevitable that someone would decide to make a film about Syd though. I bet the remaining members of the Floyd are thrilled :|
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

snifferdog wrote:I'll reserve judgement though I'm not confident that it will be good. Most of these music biopics are awful IMHO. It was inevitable that someone would decide to make a film about Syd though. I bet the remaining members of the Floyd are thrilled :|
I'm sure Nick will be happy if it sells more copies of his book as a result! I am unconvinced that the film will ever be made (or if made, ever released) ... however, time will tell
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I've read that Nick's original version of Inside Out got pulped because David got stroppy over it. Wonder what the film version of pulping is?
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

snifferdog wrote:I've read that Nick's original version of Inside Out got pulped because David got stroppy over it. Wonder what the film version of pulping is?
Pulp fiction?
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

Beowulf wrote:
snifferdog wrote:I've read that Nick's original version of Inside Out got pulped because David got stroppy over it. Wonder what the film version of pulping is?
Pulp fiction?
thats about the truth.
I have heard before Gilmour not only took Syds job, but also his girlfriend - some german chick... and that is part of what caused the break up... I will have to find the article about that.

would it not be something if it was to end up being tru and Syd was booted over girlfriend issues? :lol:
I wonder what that would do to the early floyd image...
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

omnicron wrote:
I have heard before Gilmour not only took Syds job, but also his girlfriend - some german chick... and that is part of what caused the break up... I will have to find the article about that.

would it not be something if it was to end up being tru and Syd was booted over girlfriend issues? :lol:
I wonder what that would do to the early floyd image...
Sounds pretty unlikey to me - article or not - all in all I think David is probably a pretty decent guy and whilst we all make mistakes I doubt whether there is much truth or mileage in it all
omnicron
Knife
Knife
Location: Chasing after falling stars and forever "On the Run"

Post by omnicron »

I also really doubt the truth of the story also, I think its just another "out there" floyd tale as so many others, but it does offer a good laugh.
it basicly offered the idea that some german chick caused the rift that led to Syds departure and was not about the drugs as so commonly said.
I thought it was BS from the first read, but it was also a tale I have never seen before.

I am looking for the article (it was in a music mag several years ago) I saved it to disc, but I have alot of discs with stuff like this on it.
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced this is all just a rouse. First of all, the only person saying anything about this film is this musician fellow. Where's the media coverage confirming this will be happening. Not even the director has mentioned anything about it. As far as I know, the rest of the Floyd have continuously axed any film about Syd because they don't want their names involved (guilty conscious, perhaps?) so I can't see how this one got by them and their "corporation". Assuming this film is real, it'll probably be some kind of art-house nonsense dealing with Barrett through his sub-conscious mind or some such crap like that.

As for a Gilmour and an alleged GF swap with Barrett, it's possible, but I highly doubt it. Gilmour may have taken his place, but I doubt he's the type to kick a man while he's down. He's not Roger Waters. :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I emailed Pink Floyd's manager and he said "People have been in touch but whether it is this film or not I’ve no idea. I’ve had nothing specific and certainly nothing with actor/s linked to it".

So, I think it is likely to be true. This Chris Field seems like he is a respactable musician? I had never heard of him until now. If he is a legitimate musician, I doubt he would write such lies on his website.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Perhaps because he earlier touted himself as the heir apparent to Syd?

That is, if it's the same guy I'm think of...and I think it may be.

EDIT: Yep...Google wins out yet again. This is the same guy that I downloaded some songs from and found myself going "Okay...nothing particularly special here that I can see."

I think it was R.PITI that first brought this guy to my attention...and I think it might have been through this very board...although, admittedly, it could just as easily have been at pinkfan.com while it was still up.

This guy cites Dylan and Barrett as influences, though I thought he sounded more like a BeeGees (or something similar) wannabe.

I definitely didn't hear any overt Dylan or Barrett influence in the songs I downloaded.

Sounds to me like this movie bit might be a little more self-promotion from a guy who isn't as big as he thinks he should be and is still trying to use fans of Barrett to help him get there.

I'll pass, thanks.

Although maybe I should check out his later work...just in the interests of fairness...before I write him off entirely.

*shrug*
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

mosespa wrote:Perhaps because he earlier touted himself as the heir apparent to Syd?

That is, if it's the same guy I'm think of...and I think it may be.

EDIT: Yep...Google wins out yet again. This is the same guy that I downloaded some songs from and found myself going "Okay...nothing particularly special here that I can see."

I think it was R.PITI that first brought this guy to my attention...and I think it might have been through this very board...although, admittedly, it could just as easily have been at pinkfan.com while it was still up.

This guy cites Dylan and Barrett as influences, though I thought he sounded more like a BeeGees (or something similar) wannabe.

I definitely didn't hear any overt Dylan or Barrett influence in the songs I downloaded.

Sounds to me like this movie bit might be a little more self-promotion from a guy who isn't as big as he thinks he should be and is still trying to use fans of Barrett to help him get there.

I'll pass, thanks.

Although maybe I should check out his later work...just in the interests of fairness...before I write him off entirely.

*shrug*
Kudos for a sensible post
theshockofthenew
Blade
Blade

Keith Jordan wrote:I emailed Pink Floyd's manager and he said "People have been in touch but whether it is this film or not I’ve no idea. I’ve had nothing specific and certainly nothing with actor/s linked to it".

So, I think it is likely to be true. This Chris Field seems like he is a respactable musician? I had never heard of him until now. If he is a legitimate musician, I doubt he would write such lies on his website.
Ok, cheers for contacting them! Sounds promising at least.

I just find it incredibly odd that there has been really no mention of this project in the British media. It seems rather odd.
Personally I don't think the Field guy looks or sounds anything like Barrett, but at least he can play guitar though his own music is really, really, really bad.